Talk

Advanced search

Squint Christmas lights on my house

(37 Posts)
Fifemum8 Mon 19-Dec-16 22:39:18

I have spent a week getting mildly irritated by the fact everyone's houses have perfectly, straight symmetrical lights on their homes creating an aura of Christmassy perfection. While mine look like they have been erected by drunken cat who is afraid of heights.
I have just snapped and demanded DH straighten them. AIBU?
This is what Christmas is about, surely.

MammyNeedsASpaDay Tue 20-Dec-16 01:15:32

This is hilarious gringrin

Caboodle Tue 20-Dec-16 06:59:24

Mine look like they have been vomited onto the house. fsmile

CheshireDing Tue 20-Dec-16 07:12:15

I tried to stuff the cables of ours further in to the hedge, DD said she was bored.

Fifemum8 Tue 20-Dec-16 19:03:51

Seriously

1horatio Tue 20-Dec-16 19:29:38

I think that looks fine. Drunken cat 😹😹
We don't even have any. Just a wreath.... but at least we made it ourselves and the planty parts come from PIL's garden...

TwatteryFlowers Tue 20-Dec-16 19:30:25

We haven't got lights around our house but we do have some on our fireplace. They're wonky and annoy me every time I look at them. I also keep rearranging the baubles on the tree because it bugs me when they're clumped together!

TwatteryFlowers Tue 20-Dec-16 19:31:20

Those lights look like they've been blown there by a heavy wind fgrin

1horatio Tue 20-Dec-16 19:33:41

DH put holly on the fire place... but no lights.

I'm just used to candles (even on the tree).

I know that next year we'll need to have them (DD can't crawl or walk yet).

But... Idk. It just feels weird to me personally. Not saying it is weird, btw...

1horatio Tue 20-Dec-16 19:35:11

Btw, different lights (those with super small baubles and the thinner wiring) might be easier? Or just put them around a potted tree or something. Very simply and easy....

Does anyone else use pineapples on Christmas? confused

Fifemum8 Tue 20-Dec-16 21:27:37

But I want them to look like this! fconfused

Fifemum8 Tue 20-Dec-16 21:29:01

TwatteryFlowers "heavy wind" lol.

1horatio use a pineapple for what? Instead of a tree?

1horatio Tue 20-Dec-16 21:42:27

No..., DH thinks they're Christmas decorations...??

fshock

Yours look nicer. The house you posted is too perfect. And I think it needs more green and white lights. But that's personal taste.

1horatio Tue 20-Dec-16 21:43:30

Oops, that house does have a wreath.... fblush
Uhm, still, white lights, less perfect.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Tue 20-Dec-16 21:44:02

Pineapples are apparently used as a welcome symbol... not sure if that's connected)

Sybys Tue 20-Dec-16 21:50:29

Why can't you straighten them?

1horatio Tue 20-Dec-16 21:56:47

According to google it has something to do with colonialism? confused [shocked]

Bit like that. Just less shiny and American...

I'm kind of glad we never celebrate Christmas at home.

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Tue 20-Dec-16 21:59:53

Oh okay... wasn't expecting that.... gringringrin

1horatio Tue 20-Dec-16 22:09:21

Neither was I... huh, I wonder whether proudly using the pineapples or refusing to use them would make me more 'English' grin

I'm not English at all, btw...

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Tue 20-Dec-16 22:10:47

Refusing to would make you appear 'English' - although with the colonial element it's a close call grin

MayhemandMadness01 Tue 20-Dec-16 22:13:25

The white bulb on the right needs moving 3cm to the left, then it'll be perfect fsmile

1horatio Tue 20-Dec-16 22:20:37

Livia

DH is a vulgar university lecturer anyway. And with a 'eurotrash' mummy like me DD will never be the polite English rose English girls are fabled to be 😂 Or so I was told by my English teacher...

And trust me, DH would not be ok without the pineapples.

He does an Italian and a Swedish Christmas with me in Switzerland (3 days.) there would be a mutiny if I decided to take away the pineapples 😂😂

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Tue 20-Dec-16 22:23:23

😂😂😂😂😂 I can see the issue now 😂😂😂😂

Fifemum8 Tue 20-Dec-16 22:34:28

In the 18th century you could hire a pineapple as a status symbol to show off at a party #theyknewhowtoparty #fruit boasting.

1horatio Tue 20-Dec-16 22:35:45

Livia right? We agreed that if we live in the U.K. my family will have the major holidays (so, Christmas and Easter will be in Switzerland)

His family gets Sunday lunches, Halloween, Bonfire night and just 'everyday' stuff...

I think my family's 3 days of Christmas kind of make him regret it... but they love him, they think he's great 'fun' 😅

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now