Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

16 month baby alone at home, neighbour with baby monitor

(212 Posts)
hydrangea78 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:19:55

Neighbour has offered to babysit.
My partner thinks we should put our 16 month old to sleep then let the neighbour babysit from the comfort of her own home (semi-detached property) and just hand her our video monitor. I completely disagree and WWIII has now broken out. AIBU?

Bambooshoots14 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:20:57

Ooh I don't know. I thought that's an awful idea but I'm not sure why

bumblingmum Mon 19-Dec-16 21:21:18

NO YANBU! Madeleine McCann scenario!
The neighbour needs to be in the same building as your child.

Sirzy Mon 19-Dec-16 21:21:21

Yanbu.

If she is happy to babysit in your house fantastic. I don't see why you would do anything else!

JaniceBattersby Mon 19-Dec-16 21:21:30

He is absolutely mad. There is no way on God's green earth that that is acceptable or legal.

GreatFuckability Mon 19-Dec-16 21:21:41

assuming she has a key to get in and the baby moniter is within range, i don't think it would be a major thing. on the other hand, is there a particular reason why the neighbour can't sit in your house?

identityhidden Mon 19-Dec-16 21:22:06

Oh no, she needs to be in your house definitely.

RedHelenB Mon 19-Dec-16 21:22:11

If neighbour has agreed to babysit I would imagine that they would expect to come to yours.

MsPavlichenko Mon 19-Dec-16 21:22:22

No. He is, and to be honest this is something I'd find really disturbing in a DP.

YoScienceBitch Mon 19-Dec-16 21:22:38

My neighbour pops round to mine sometimes in the evening and brings her baby monitor. My kitchen is right underneath her kids bedroom though.

Bluntness100 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:22:42

Seriously, why would he even suggest this? If she's happy to be in your home why would you leave your child alone and have her with a monitor, that's crazy.

d270r0 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:22:52

No not good. Neighbour can stay in the comfort of YOUR home and babysit. If they've offered they surely don't mind. Unless your partner doesn't want neighur in yur house as doesn't trust them in which case you would be vvu to let them babysit at all.

MissClarke86 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:23:07

Do you want social services knocking at your door? Video monitor or not, that is a very young child unsupervised at home.

JumpingJellybeanz Mon 19-Dec-16 21:23:07

YANBU but I also can't quite figure out why. It just feels all sorts of wrong.

Crumbs1 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:23:16

Not sure it would be lawful.

cbigs Mon 19-Dec-16 21:23:19

I guess it like the 'baby sitting' service in some hotels ... but it's not ideal and I wouldn't do it tbh.

Passmethecrisps Mon 19-Dec-16 21:23:20

No! Think of the time taken for her to hear a sound, decide to go in, leave her own house and then into yours. Even if the front doors are right next to each other I would be very uncomfortable.

If neighbour is happy in your sitting room then that is where she sits surely

Figgygal Mon 19-Dec-16 21:23:46

Absolutely awful idea!! What if there's a fire for starters

Soubriquet Mon 19-Dec-16 21:23:53

I can't see the major issue if the monitor works perfectly and she's just next door BUT she has offered to babysit. Surely she would expect to be your house

Cathster Mon 19-Dec-16 21:24:06

YANBU. I definitely wouldn't - - no chance would I leave the house unlocked without the neighbour in the house, nor would I lock my child in alone, regardless of if she was sleeping!

What harm is it if the neighbour is in your home? Surely for a few hours it's not an issue, especially if they've offered?

Bambooshoots14 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:24:31

But why is it such a bad idea? It would be no different than being in a larger house downstairs? Unlocking the door would take seconds

RedHelenB Mon 19-Dec-16 21:24:35

Don't think the Macans had a video monitor!

DontTouchTheMoustache Mon 19-Dec-16 21:24:38

What's the point? Is your house so awful she can't sit in it for a few hours? I wouldn't do it, as PP said in the unlikely event of a break in or even a fire she wouldn't know until too late. Unlikely isn't impossible.

ragz134 Mon 19-Dec-16 21:24:47

Instinct says no. However, if neighbour is next door then is it much different to leaving baby indoors and you being at end of the garden or other end of a very big house? However, if there were a fire or some other building related emergency that may not be obvious on a monitor...
Neighbour will probably find it an odd suggestion though.

Daisyfrumps Mon 19-Dec-16 21:24:49

HIBU. The neighbour should be warmly invited into your home and partake of the cookies and treats that your partner has laid out for her. As if she should stay in her own house! If I was her I'd report him to SS for making such a suggestion!

I assume he was joking..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now