Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Young children and big musical/pantomime shows

(19 Posts)
oblada Mon 19-Dec-16 19:38:56

Just a WIBU or what do you do kind of thread.
Took my older one to a biggish show (25quids a head roughly as a minimum no 'child price') on Sunday, musical/pantomime. Age recommended 6+. Took my 5.5yrs old as she has a fab attention span for movies/shows so thought she'd be OK.(she loved it) Still took seats near the exit/end of row just in case (and for view). It was a big production. Very loud etc.

I was quite surprised to see LOADS of v young kids there, 2-4yrs old and babes in arm. I could definitely hear quite a few loud screaming/crying during the show but because it wasn't right next to me and the show was very loud (and it's a massive theatre) it didn't bother me. But I can imagine it would have been a bother if I was next to them.

I don't know, in this instance I wasn't bothered but is that reasonable? Do you take your kids to shows like this so young? I didn't even take a friend of my daughter (didn't suggest it as I would normally do) as I thought they would be too young (same age but not same attention span). And of course I didn't take my younger one (over 2yrs old). Not too far from me in the middle of the row was a mother with a baby in arm. Baby was quite a bit unsettled and cried a few times (but settled with bf for an hour or so which was good). Mother would have been unable to leave easily as bang in middle of row.
Again it wasnt a big deal. A bit irritating but soon covered by noise of the show overall. I do think others nearer were bothered though.

I was just wondering what people do. It seems unnecessarily stressful (and expensive) to take v young kids to this. Took daughter to Disney on ice last year (4yrs old) and that was different as it was clearly children orientated... I don't know just curious smile thinking of taking her to a 'proper' show next time tho to avoid any risk of inconvenience lol.

PoptartPoptart Mon 19-Dec-16 19:44:26

I once saw a young boy, probably about 8-9 years old, in the audience at Miss Saigon. The show opens in a bar scene with girls in suspenders and the like being sold as prostitutes with quite a bit of swearing. Some people just don't think if things are age appropriate or not

Gizlotsmum Mon 19-Dec-16 19:47:33

I tend to take the age recommendations as a guidance and don't take kids below that age to them...

bumsexatthebingo Mon 19-Dec-16 19:51:25

I've taken mine to the panto since bout the age of 2. They were both capable of sitting the length of time needed with entertainment and sweets (even the one with sn whose attention span wasn't generally great). I wouldn't take a baby though.

HaveNoSocks Mon 19-Dec-16 19:53:57

I definitely wouldn't take a baby because there's always the risk of it just screaming and that's bound to be annoying. I think toddlers depend on the child, some can sit still for hours some can't. I wouldn't take anyone I thought was a risk for disrupting the show.

helensburgh Mon 19-Dec-16 19:55:47

Massive bugbear of mine..particularly parents who take kids to the loo every 15 mins. Squeezing past everyone.
I mean once you can understand

MagicMojito Mon 19-Dec-16 19:57:18

Hmmmm, im taking dds (5 and 2.5) to a rock n roll panto, is that the type of show you mean? If so i think its fine tbh. I always think panto is a lovely fun introduction to theatre that should be a lot less formal and you should expect a bit of back ground noise and low level disruption. Ofcourse if dd2 gets unsettled then id obviously take her out (for her sake as much as other audience members!) I think that so long as your considerate and aware of where you are its fine.

Im aware others feel differently though...

oblada Mon 19-Dec-16 20:06:34

I don't know I think there are different types of panto. Went to a child friendly/cheaper one last year but this one was a bigger production, quite pricey, not child discount, v loud (would have scared my 2yrs old shitless LOL). It was Aladdin if that helps but for instance school took reception and yr1 to a Aladdin panto in town (little town) which I'm assuming is different in scale etc to the one we then went to (in major city).

oblada Mon 19-Dec-16 20:07:36

Having said that I'm not expert in pantomime not part of my cultural heritage lol but I'm enjoying discovering it with my older one!

bumsexatthebingo Mon 19-Dec-16 20:13:29

Panto is pretty much aimed at the under 5's imo. Once mine were about 6 they thought it was babyish so we started taking them to shows aimed at slighty older kids. The Nutcracker is lovely for older ones at Christmas.

oblada Mon 19-Dec-16 20:20:49

Bumsex - don't think we're talking the same kind of show. It was a pantomime but definitely not 'aimed' at under 5 smile especially as recommended age was above 6 smile it was good for kids but loads of adult jokes. There were also adults on their own there. Wouldn't consider 25quids + a head to be a children only show...

bumsexatthebingo Mon 19-Dec-16 20:25:00

That is always the price at the bigger theatres. The only time we've paid less than that is for amateur productions in tiny venues. And all pantos are always full of innuendo intended for the parents which actually make them less appropriate for older kids imo because they will question jokes that go right over the head of a 3/4 yr old.

SmilingButClueless Mon 19-Dec-16 20:28:18

I think it depends on both the child and the show.

Went to see a panto - definitely NOT aimed at the under-5s! - at the weekend. Most of the kids there were great, a bit excitable, got a bit bored towards the end, but that's expected and no real issue. However there was one little one sitting behind me who kept kicking the seat, putting her hands on the back of my chair etc. That's not acceptable behaviour to me (particularly as I can't stand being touched by strangers) and I think her parents should have stopped her or taken her out and not had a go at me when I politely asked her to stop

Blankiefan Mon 19-Dec-16 20:31:59

Took our DD to panto at 2yo - she lasted two mins. This year at 3yo she managed til the interval (with ear defenders).

It's so loud - and quite scary. Much of the content was too mature for her. But - dh's work pays for the tickets and it's a nice day out / good to expose DD to new things. I wouldn't pay for it tho.

allowlsthinkalot Mon 19-Dec-16 21:01:57

I take my younger ones because otherwise I couldn't take my older ones.

NavyandWhite Mon 19-Dec-16 21:04:47

I hate the squeezing past to go the loo too.
We went to see school of rock recently and the family next to us kept getting up to go to the loo.. they came past us even though it was nearer to exit at their end. The man even said on his way past " it makes no difference which way we go " hmm

Witchend Mon 19-Dec-16 21:40:27

I took dd1 to panto first when she was just two. After she'd got over the shock of it going dark she sat mesmerised.
The following year we went back with dd2 who was 6 weeks at the time. I thought dd2 would snuggle into me and feed etc... However she got totally over excited by the noise, lights and excitement. She sat on my lap and bounced with her little head turning around trying to see everything at once.
Both times I checked this,was fine with the theatre and took a seat right next to the exit so I could get out easily. Neither time I did.

Ds first went to panto at 19 months. It's a amateur one we're involved in (his sisters were in, he now is in it too) but I took seats at the back where we could get out and knowing his concentration wasn't up to the girls, did it in two halves-first half one day, second half another.

Witchend Mon 19-Dec-16 21:44:33

*neither time I did need to.

Don't know where those missing words went! (behind you?)

MegBusset Mon 19-Dec-16 21:51:17

We have been going to the panto (big regional theatre) since the DC were 2 and 4. The first year DS2 fell asleep halfway through but they have always really enjoyed it and not made any more noise than all the other kids. Nobody expects a quiet audience at the panto surely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now