Talk

Advanced search

To ask you to finish this sentence....

(15 Posts)
MumQuack Mon 19-Dec-16 19:26:48

...I knew I loved myself enough when.............

Daisiesandgerberas Mon 19-Dec-16 19:42:14

I don't live myself but I do have confidence without cockiness.

This came from being independent eg learning to cook & be a responsible adult. Also from little snippets of happiness such as a nice text from a friend telling me I mean a lot to them & they appreciate me.

I like myself for prioritising my child, dog & DH. Although I do grt told off for not looking after myself.
Are you ok, OP?

MumQuack Mon 19-Dec-16 19:57:28

I'm fine thanks Daisies....just curious to hear how people know that they love themselves enough...perhaps through their thoughts or actions. I work with people with mental health problems and I see many people who struggle to like themselves. Thanks you for your reply x

Anniegetyourgun Mon 19-Dec-16 19:58:22

... I ate the last Rolo myself.

MumQuack Mon 19-Dec-16 19:59:41

Good on you Annie

Lostmyemailaddress Mon 19-Dec-16 19:59:52

I knew I deserved better

Squiff85 Mon 19-Dec-16 20:00:38

I started to look after myself and other people better. I ate better, I drank better, I lost weight, I felt great, I was nicer; more tolerant, more generous. I love myself more for it.

Anniegetyourgun Mon 19-Dec-16 20:06:42

Sorry, that was a bit flippant for what was clearly intended to be a serious thread.

When I'm tempted to give myself a hard time, like if I've forgotten something important or dropped something fragile, I think about whether I'd forgive my best friend if they'd done the same, and the answer is usually yes, of course. So I decided to be my own best friend and forgive myself. I think I do like myself more nowadays than I did, say, 20 years ago, and it's mostly down to accepting myself as I am, a bit clumsy, horribly absent-minded, but with mainly good intentions. I can't help the absent-mindedness so it's ludicrous to blame myself for it. On the other hand I can help my good intentions, so I can take credit for them.

John4703 Mon 19-Dec-16 20:08:50

...I knew I loved myself enough when............I had plenty of spare love to share with others

Twiggy71 Mon 19-Dec-16 20:22:49

I knew i loved myself when.....I forgave myself for not being a perfect mother/daughter/sister and everything else.

Long time sufferer of depression & anxiety....

katiegg Mon 19-Dec-16 20:26:44

...when I stopped allowing my 'inside my head voice' to say horrible things about me.

I realise that probably sounds really odd, but a number of years ago I realised how we often say the most shocking things to ourselves, things we would never think are acceptable to say to other people... telling ourselves we are fat, ugly, stupid, useless etc. Once I consciously stopped allowing myself to think those things about myself, I became a much happier, more confident person.

JayJayBird Mon 19-Dec-16 20:29:08

... I could walk away

MumQuack Mon 19-Dec-16 20:55:39

Annie your rolo comment made me laugh! And thank you for your second comment.

LadyMaryofDownt0n Mon 19-Dec-16 21:54:49

When I decided to stop dating losers/abusers & marry the best man I've ever met.

lovelearning Tue 20-Dec-16 07:42:50

I knew I loved myself enough when............I had plenty of spare love to share with others smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now