Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be really annoyed at my baby's doctor

(8 Posts)
skybluepinkish Mon 19-Dec-16 17:11:52

Had the 6 week check up/ GP appointment for me and my baby boy today and I was really annoyed at the way the doctor spoke to me!
First she asked what I wanted to do about contraception and when I said just go back on the pill she pulled a face and said its a risky medication as it can cause thrombosis. Then she said I would forget to take it anyway with a new baby so should go for something else and made some suggestions. When I asked what the risks were with these she said everything comes with risks and I didn't want to end up pregnant again straightaway did I ? Then she told me the surgery doesn't offer these options anyway so I'd have to go elsewhere for them.
She also asked if I was breast-feeding and when I said no she said 'did you even try?' which upset me a lot considering the nightmare I went through with it when he was born. I felt as though I had to justify myself and explain the situation to her. When I asked about infant reflux she asked if I was just making up the bottles incorrectly as this would cause him to spit up.
She didn't give me a check up at all despite the fact I had an emergency C-section. After I left she called up to tell me all the things she had forgotten to say during our appointment which didn't fill me with confidence!
I had my health visitor round this afternoon and she was much more helpful and positive.
I'm thinking of changing doctors surgeries rather than deal with her again!

lilyb84 Mon 19-Dec-16 17:32:33

No you're not BU, sounds like she has a rubbish attitude, poor bedside manner or was having a bad day at the very least.

At my 6 week check my GP didn't ask anything about the birth, told me bf was probably enough contraceptive, told me to start sleep training my baby then, after looking at my tummy told me to do some sit-ups. I won't be going to see him again.

Cosmiccreepers203 Mon 19-Dec-16 17:35:49

That is terrible. Did she even look at your section scar to make sure it had healed properly? Did she spend anytime focusing on your mood or mental health?

Branleuse Mon 19-Dec-16 17:47:15

she sounds terrible

FinnegansCake Mon 19-Dec-16 17:51:19

She sounds awful. I would try to change my doctor if I were you.

Millymollymanatee Mon 19-Dec-16 17:54:15

Change doctors but not before you make a complaint. Speak to the practice manager. It's only if we complain about these idiots that the message will get home that we're not prepared to put up with it.

EweAreHere Mon 19-Dec-16 17:56:18

Wow. She sounds incompetent.

I would complain and change doctors or surgeries.

MeadowHay Mon 19-Dec-16 18:09:59

Make a written complaint to the practice manager because if that doctor spoke to you like that they have spoken to other people similarly and will go on to speak to other women like that too! That's a disgrace.

Hope you are feeling ok and congratulations on the birth of your LO smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now