Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Sleeping Arrangments!

(45 Posts)
MrsMoore2803 Mon 19-Dec-16 16:33:04

So I am writing this post for my mum who does not have Mumsnet but needs a quick answer.
This Christmas me and DH are going to be staying in a hotel nearby instead of staying with my mum over Christmas due to me being pregnant with our twins and us wanting our privacy.

However my little sister (who is 21) is hoping to bring her boyfriend (of 2 years) to join the family at Christmas. They are both up in Scotland at University and will be driving down to where mum lives in Kent on the 23rd and going back to Scotland on the 27th of December. They're both students so don't really have a lot of money to spend on a hotel room (it would cost about £270+ for the 4 nights) so my sister is wanting to stay in her bedroom at mums house with her boyfriend.

Mum likes her boyfriend but even though she knows that they are having sex and pretty much live together in his student house, she is still not sure if they should share a room at her house. She has a small house so no spare room for him but she doesn't want to make him sleep downstairs on the sofa. Would you let your daughter sleep in the same room as her boyfriend?

Mum would be happy if it wasn't for my brother (who is 16 and wanting his girlfriend to stay over on New Years Eve??)

Please help.
Thank you

TwitterQueen1 Mon 19-Dec-16 16:35:19

21 - yes. (and especially as they are students)

16 - no

HTH fgrin

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 19-Dec-16 16:35:42

Yes I'd let them stay in the same room. I have let ds1 since he was 18.

Coralfish Mon 19-Dec-16 16:35:43

I think it would be a bit ridiculous to make the 21 year old's boyfriend sleep on the sofa. However, I would not let the 16 year old's girlfriend stay over... Not sure how you explain or justify that though...

mygorgeousmilo Mon 19-Dec-16 16:36:05

She is 21, and living miles away, so perfectly capable of managing her life. I'd let them sleep together as they've been together two years anyway. 16 yo brother, I'd say no because that's still fairly young.

DiegeticMuch Mon 19-Dec-16 16:36:14

I don't think it's very welcoming or hospitable to make someone's partner of 2 years sleep on the sofa.

SenoritaViva Mon 19-Dec-16 16:37:08

Yes I would.

MrsMoore2803 Mon 19-Dec-16 16:37:54

She has already said no to my brother but if he sees that his sister can have her boyfriend stay over then he will likely get moody and not understand why he can't have his girlfriend stay over so my mum doesn't want to make any problems on top of Christmas

hellsbellsmelons Mon 19-Dec-16 16:39:10

I would too.
I've let DD since 18.
16 - not a chance in hell.

Artandco Mon 19-Dec-16 16:39:24

Yes I would let them share of course, they are both adults and have been a while.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 19-Dec-16 16:40:47

She just has to tell him no. I have a 16 year old DS who would love his gf to stay in his room - I just tell him im not letting her stay at 16. He does realise that his brother is older than him, and also wasnt allowed to at 16. It shouldn't be an issue.

Scottishchick39 Mon 19-Dec-16 16:40:54

Yes I would. She is an adult, her brother is still a child at 16.

LizzieMacQueen Mon 19-Dec-16 16:41:34

Can the boyfriend not have your old room?

Congratulations on your pregnancy of twins. Next Christmas will be sooooo different.

MummyStep123 Mon 19-Dec-16 16:41:52

Explain that the issue is age difference!
Yes she should let the daughter who is 21 have her bf stay, no at 16 this is not ok for the son, explain to him that sleeping in the same room in her house is 18 &a above!

pipsqueak25 Mon 19-Dec-16 16:42:23

mum's home, mum's rules, if ds wants to throw a moody,[hardly adult behaviour] let him he's got plenty of time to get over it, she doesn't need to give a reason if she isn't happy with the situation.

MrsMoore2803 Mon 19-Dec-16 16:44:36

LizzieMacQueen
I left home about 7 years ago and mum has since into a 3 bed house so there is no spare rooms.
And thank you. I'm happy and excited but also dreading the first few months!!!!

RaptorInaFestiveFez Mon 19-Dec-16 16:51:15

On NYE could sister and the GF have one room and brother and BF have the other?

So GF is still staying over but it reduces the probability of hanky panky?

RaptorInaFestiveFez Mon 19-Dec-16 16:52:06

Oh I've just seen they're not actually there for new year...... silly me

harderandharder2breathe Mon 19-Dec-16 16:53:14

21 let them share s room, they're independent adults

16 not sure I'd let them share but TBH even if she's officially on the sofa, she's unlikely to stay there

MrsMoore2803 Mon 19-Dec-16 16:54:13

RaptorInaFestiveFez My sister and her bf are going back to Scotland on the 27th so that they can spend NYE and NY with his family.

deloresclaiborne Mon 19-Dec-16 16:57:56

yes to your sister she 21 and an adult
and yes to your brother
when hes 21

lottieandmia Mon 19-Dec-16 17:01:39

21 is more than old enough to have a boyfriend stay in your room. My parents let me have my boyfriend stay at 16 - there is no chance I would let my dds do this though. Unless I felt it was the lesser of two evils.

quirkychicken Mon 19-Dec-16 17:05:13

21 years old with a boyfriend of two years and this is even a question? crazy! of course they should share a room!

dingdongthewitchishere Mon 19-Dec-16 17:06:31

I think it's difficult to say no once your child has moved out, is living away from home and is 21. The only option is to refuse the see the boyfriend at Christmas, but I wouldn't do that to my kids. I would say yes.

16, I am afraid, is far too young. Your brother will have to wait, even if his girlfriend parents would agree.

namechangedtoday15 Mon 19-Dec-16 17:06:56

I was never allowed to share with a boy until I got married (when I was 31!) but actually I wouldn't have wanted to - I know my parents were quite strict and respected their rules in their house.

We'd have played musical beds in that scenario - is there only one reception room downstairs? If so, 16yr old probably would have got sofa downstairs, 21 yr old would have got her room and her boyfriend would have got your brothers. Brother might have got blow up bed on mum or sisters floor depending on the family dynamics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now