Talk

Advanced search

to expect social services after 6 year old burnt foot on cooker? Feel horrendous

(281 Posts)
Soscared100 Mon 19-Dec-16 13:10:35

Title says it all really
Am petrified social services will now be involved after google searching what happens next
My 6 year old climbed onto the kitchen side last night and stood on one of the electric hobs.
It had been turned off for approx 10 mins as was making her milk for bed and she went out there saying she was getting a cup off the side, instead she climbed up to get a different cup from the cupboard.
After an hour running under water it was only red so we followed the advice on the NHS website and applied Vaseline once completely cooled and wrapped in cling film and gave calpol but shortly after I noticed the blister covered 1/3 of her foot.
I feel sick even writing it as I just never thought she would do this, she isn't even a climber and we only took our baby gates off the kitchen a few months ago as she could undo them.
Called NHS direct once I noticed the size of the blister when she had fallen asleep and I was able to remove the cling film and we were told to go to A&E who cut the blister off, wrapped it and sent us to the burns hospital 20 miles away.
Only recently back from there and will be there every 3 days for as many weeks to get the dressing changed and so on.
Feel so guilty and also completely panicked social services will now be involved as I could have prevented this happening.
There were lots of safeguarding questions at both hospitals and both asking if we had social services involved prior to this ( we haven't ) but none said they were going to contact them but just don't know what to think.
My poor little girl.

Allthewaves Mon 19-Dec-16 13:13:03

So what if social services do call. It was accident. Pretty standard questions at hospital when children are involved.

halcyondays Mon 19-Dec-16 13:13:35

Accidents happen, they probably wouldn't contact ss unless they had other concerns

lozzylizzy Mon 19-Dec-16 13:14:16

I had the health visitor round when my 5 month old broke her arm (rolling over and 2 year old brother 'helped') Actual social services didn't come. Doctors are very good at determining whether the back story to how the injury happened matches with the actual injury so don't worry about it.

It is the hospital's policy to try and determine those children that need some intervention through being abused, mistreated etc. Doesn't help with your guilt though that is a natural part of being a parent.

RedHelenB Mon 19-Dec-16 13:14:55

Just worry about her getting better. Even if SS do phone you up your dd at 6 years old will be able to tell them exactly what happened. Accidents happen try not to blame yourself.

YelloDraw Mon 19-Dec-16 13:17:15

Totally standard.

My sister had SS call after their youngest had three A&E trips in quack succession and one of them was yanked arm - hid jumped down steps when she was holding his hand - but that injury can be an indicator of abuse.

MyschoolMyrules Mon 19-Dec-16 13:18:00

It is standard for either a health visitor, nurse, gp or social services to follow up on accidents with children. Ds broke his wrist and HV called a couple of days later. It is standard. But it's an accident so you have nothing to worry about.

BToperator Mon 19-Dec-16 13:21:02

I really don't think you need to worry. My DS grabbed hold of a lit camping stove, when he was 18 months old. It was entirely my fault, and I felt awful as you do, but I didn't hear anything from anyone about it afterwards. The explanation you have given for the injuries makes sense, and you sought appropriate treatment for the injury. The questions you were asked sound standard ones, that are probably asked of everyone bringing an injured child in.

RestlessTraveller Mon 19-Dec-16 13:21:30

Please stop panicking! I'm a social worker and here's what would happen. As you've had no previous involvement from SS and you took all the necessary steps for her treatment a visit Is unlikely. If you do get a visit from a SW they will who talk about what's happened, but believe me we do actually know that accidents happen and kids get themselves into all sorts of scrapes. If you do get a visit (again, highly unlikely) the SW may (even more unlikely) request a child protection medical. Where your child will be examined by a paediatrician who will be looking to see that your explanation fits the injury, which it will and hey presto nothing to worry about.

Soscared100 Mon 19-Dec-16 13:25:46

Thanks for the replies - I'm just in total shock and can't believe this has happened
How do they decide whether to visit, would they speak to school / GP first to determine?
Do they have a time frame they work under to contact us if they are going to?
The whole thought of it is just making me feel sick with worry

SnorkelParka Mon 19-Dec-16 13:32:29

The reporting processes are to protect children from abuse and ergo a good thing. Don't worry about the stigma, or making everything seem OK, just answer the questions honestly. I've had a telephone call following up a visit to A&E - why was there broken glass on the floor? Well either because a burglar broke our window last week, or because I broke a wine glass yesterday, I thought I had cleared it all up, but obviously not, sadly. I will make sure she wears slippers in future.

Do you have another reason you are worried about a call?

NotAnotherUserName1234 Mon 19-Dec-16 13:32:44

I believe they will write to your school nurse, but doesn't your 6 year old know not to touch the cooker hob? let alone stand on it.

DanaBarrett Mon 19-Dec-16 13:33:35

My DD was around a year old when she burnt her hand on my hair straighteners. I'd rested them on the radiator while I rearranged my hair and she toddled past.

Huge blister, took her to A&E, who stripped her, and asked obvious safeguarding questions, then referred us to plastic surgery.

We never heard from social services, or the health visitor.

Please don't worry too much xxx

RestlessTraveller Mon 19-Dec-16 13:35:49

The hospital may inform SS as a matter of course. It will be up to the manager of the duty team that day to decide whether they feel this is needed. (In my opinion it would have to be a very underworked SS team to decide to carry out a visit in this situation). As for school, again in my experience, they would ususually have some cause for concern to refer and good practice says they should discuss a referral with you before they make it. Seriously I think you have nothing to worry about!

Soscared100 Mon 19-Dec-16 13:35:57

My reason is just I already feel horrendous about it without feeling someone else is assessing my parenting if that makes sense
She didn't realise it was still hot and has never climbed up on the side near the hob before, I think she just wanted to get to the cupboard and didn't think.

Benedikte2 Mon 19-Dec-16 13:38:01

SS are extra busy at this time of year. Social workers at hospital will be automatically informed and will make an informed decision whether or not to contact you. If they do they will just be checking your safety systems in the home and ticking a safety checklist so don't worry.
We cannot foresee everything our children might do and this was an unfortunate accident. I'm sure it will be NFAed

Soscared100 Mon 19-Dec-16 13:38:40

Would the hospital inform me I would be contacted though or would I just walk out oblivious and then receive a call / letter / visit?
I didn't meant the school refer directly, I wondered if the hospital would liase with them before deciding what to do.

RestlessTraveller Mon 19-Dec-16 13:39:10

Of course you feel horrendous you're her mother and you love her. When she's hurt, you hurt. Completely normal. Are you worried about your parenting being assessed? Sounds to me like you are doing fine. flowers

Moreisnnogedag Mon 19-Dec-16 13:39:23

It's ok. For the most part SA are there to see if you need extra help rather than looking to blame. It's routine for burns (sadly a lot of burns are due to neglect/abuse) and certain fractures. It's in no way a judgement.

RestlessTraveller Mon 19-Dec-16 13:40:53

Think of all the accidents kids in this country have. In reality do think every one is investigated?

WhenTheDragonsCame Mon 19-Dec-16 13:41:26

My DC have had a couple of burn injuries between them.

DD1 turned on the halogen heater in an old house (our only source of heating) without me knowing and burnt her fingers. I took her to A&E where she was treated and didn't need any follow up. I think she must have been about 5.

DD3 kicked over a cup of tea when she was a baby. exMIL was babysitting and left her in a soaking wet sock for about 5 minutes I think she said (she said she didn't notice). She had approx. 4 follow up appointments to change the dressings.

Neither time did I hear anything from a social worker or a health visitor. DD1 has a scar on a couple of her fingers but you wouldn't even know which foot it was with DD3 as there is no scarring at all.

Hope you DD is feeling better soon chocolate for DD and flowers and cake for you.

Trifleorbust Mon 19-Dec-16 13:42:42

I'm always a bit confused at the comments on threads like this that suggest that posters wouldn't be worried at all at SS involvement because they are "just doing their jobs" etc. Well, yes, obviously, but it is still anxiety-inducing to think that you might get a visit and I sympathise, OP. Just remember that they are trained professionals and will be very experienced in telling an accident from a pattern of abusive behaviour. You haven't done anything wrong so try to put it out of your mind. There may be no follow up at all.

Soscared100 Mon 19-Dec-16 13:43:40

I'm just feeling sick at the thought of having to keep repeating what happened when I can't undo it.
Maybe I shouldn't have taken the baby gate off but at 6 years old when she can open it easily it just seemed a little pointless.

TheHighPriestessOfTinsel Mon 19-Dec-16 13:44:12

I got a phone call from my health visitor after my then 1yo got hold of the razor I'd forgotten that I'd left on the side of the bath - 1yo got a nasty cut of her finger.

She simply said "I've had a referral from A&E to make sure you've found a better place to keep your razor. You have, haven't you?", and that was the end of it.

Valeriemalorie Mon 19-Dec-16 13:44:38

We had to take my ds to a&e when he was little and we got a quick call from a HV the next day and that was that. There is nothing to worry about, it was an accident. Is there a reason why you are worrying about this so much? If you get a call or a visit, then you just tell them what happened.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now