Advanced search

No access to joint account

(30 Posts)
Momentumista Mon 19-Dec-16 11:50:41

H and I have 2 joint bank accounts.

I have access to neither.

One of the banks was really unhelpful when I asked for a replacement card and asked me loads of security questions about what went in / out. I couldn't answer as I never see this bank statements! That was the end of that. I also had to stand in public place next to queue using their direct link phone which i thought was crap.

Bank in question is Barclays.

Any idea how I can progress this? You'd never think it to hear abusive H (& bank) but as it is joint account I have as much right to money as he does.

I left bank feeling pretty humiliated and upset.

MrsDustyBusty Mon 19-Dec-16 11:52:32

Are you sure they're really joint accounts? Is there any chance you've been misled about that?

Momentumista Mon 19-Dec-16 11:53:35

yes they are definitely joint accounts! I was there when they were both set up. I don't think I could have been removed without my knowledge / consent?

Zippidydoodah Mon 19-Dec-16 11:54:57

I'm sorry I do t understand your penultimate paragraph; is your husband abisuve?

There is tons of advice on the relationships board re: emotional/financial/other abuse. If he gives you housekeeping money, start squirrelling a little away, that kind of thing.

Obviously it's the husband that needs to enable you to access the account, not the bank!


harderandharder2breathe Mon 19-Dec-16 11:57:40

I work for a financial company (not Barclays) and we have to ask questions about the account, and if you can't answer, we can't help you.

You know the problem here is your abusive H, not the person on the phone

Can you make an appointment with someone in branch, take as much ID as you can, proof of identity and address, if you H won't let you have bills etc then your driving licence can proove your address but you'd need another document to prove identity (passport, or we accept correspondence from hmrc e.g. Proof of benefit, tax code letter, etc).

Momentumista Mon 19-Dec-16 12:01:13

My husband is financially controlling and abusive.

He open my mail.
He gaslights me.
He refuses to communicate, it's always 'the wrong time' or 'ma causing trouble'
He has taken both my bank cards and refuses to give them back.

When i say I want to leave he says he will pay me nothing and I will not see DS and also that I am mentally ill. (Have had depression in the past due to his behaviour).

Momentumista Mon 19-Dec-16 12:02:01

The barclays in my town is crap. There are about 2 miserable & unhelpful cashiers and never anyone to talk to.

Manumission Mon 19-Dec-16 12:12:21

Formal complaint to the bank?


Momentumista Mon 19-Dec-16 12:23:37

I am progressing divorce, seeing a solicitor after Christmas. I couldn't see them any earlier as I have no money.

I am a victim of financial and emotional abuse and pretty upset that the bank didn't take it seriously.

Manumission Mon 19-Dec-16 12:24:39

Complain in writing. Or get your solicitor to do so.

AnyFucker Mon 19-Dec-16 12:26:53

The banks hands are tied, it would seem. Not the cashier's fault and it isn't their responsibility to understand your abusive situation

Ring Women's Aid and keep that appt with the solicitor. Some solicitors will defer payment until you have your divorce settlement.

Daisyfrumps Mon 19-Dec-16 12:31:08

Make an appointment with the branch manager and bring as much ID and address proofs as you can - dated recently. If your local branch isn't helpful you can visit another?

eurochick Mon 19-Dec-16 12:31:43

Go into a branch with passport, driving licence, anything else you have to prove your name and address. You should be able to sort it that way.

DailyFail1 Mon 19-Dec-16 12:33:36

Barclays will help you. Bring ID, explain the situation, demand to see a manager if you have to.

InTheDessert Mon 19-Dec-16 12:36:03

Trouble is, the banks hands are tied. They need to know you are who you say you are (tho how the last spend on the account helps, I have no idea? I failed this test when I replied "about £70 in Tesco yesterday" the answer was £68.93 in Tesco yesterday, and there is no way I track DHs spending).
Anyway, the answer is ID and a trip to the branch, I'm afraid. Do you think you will be able to get your hands on letters and ID to prove to the bank you are entitled to access the account? Would a branch further away be any better, or even possible?

Please stay strong. You will get through this, and end up in a better place for both you and DS. Start collecting paperwork and evidence and store somewhere safe. flowers

Momentumista Mon 19-Dec-16 12:38:27

If I go into the branch with ID and proof of address from another bank account which I have in my name only that should be enough? I have no clue what he spends on this 'joint account' or even what is paid into it. I have no idea how much he earns.

GlitterGlue Mon 19-Dec-16 12:41:18

That should be fine. I had to do this as I always fail the questions on my own account. How the hell is anyone supposed to know the third from last transaction?

Tell them you want a financial review and they won't be able to get you in a room quick enough.

Momentumista Mon 19-Dec-16 12:41:40

In the desert - that is rubbish - what a nonsense!!

Momentumista Mon 19-Dec-16 12:42:18

Good point Glitter!

Will it matter if I don't know the account number?

GlitterGlue Mon 19-Dec-16 12:45:31

Not in my experience. If you've lost your card you've lost the number. They just searched my name.

CauliflowerSqueeze Mon 19-Dec-16 12:45:34

Go in with all the ID and give it a try. If you can't get any further then ask for support from solicitor.

Daisyfrumps Mon 19-Dec-16 12:45:34

No, that shouldn't matter - I think they can call up all accounts registered by inputting your name & address but not completely sure.

GoneGirl1234 Mon 19-Dec-16 12:52:58

Can only echo what posters above have said, if you take ID (usually banks want photo ID if you don't know the account number, but try with the debit card & statement from another bank first) & say you've lost your card and account details.

See if you are able to order a replacement card to be delivered to the branch rather than your home address? (So husband doesn't see post and keep it).

Good luck with everything.

footballmum Mon 19-Dec-16 13:03:17

Do you work? Are your wages, tax credits or child benefit paid into your joint account? If so, arrange to have them paid into your own personal account which he can't get access to. You can then pay in your contribution to the household finances and if you've any left over can use that towards your "escape fund". Good luck OP flowers

mummydawn07 Mon 19-Dec-16 13:05:39

I agree with others, take in as much ID as you can get together and photo ID, and see the manager if you have too. good luck and I hope you get out of your abusive relationship flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now