Talk

Advanced search

To walk go for walks at night?

(36 Posts)
AVirginLitTheCandle Sun 18-Dec-16 23:28:51

I suffer from depression and anxiety and sometimes I have episodes that usually occur in the middle of the night where I get really anxious, I can't sleep and I just have thoughts buzzing through my head.

One of the things that help me with these is going for a walk. I find the night time air really refreshing and it really helps clear my head. I also find the quietness very relaxing too if that makes sense.

However when I told DP that I do this he was horrified and thinks I'm being silly to go for walks at 2/3 in the morning despite the fact we live in a safe town with very little crime.

That and a few other comments recently have made me feel like I'm doing something wrong.

AVirginLitTheCandle Sun 18-Dec-16 23:29:33

And yes I do realise that I said walk twice in the title, honest! blush

frauleinsallybowles Sun 18-Dec-16 23:29:55

fsmile

MotherFuckingChainsaw Sun 18-Dec-16 23:30:17

I go on night walks. Love them. You are not odd.

AVirginLitTheCandle Sun 18-Dec-16 23:32:05

They are nice, aren't they?

I should have also said that the town where I live is very student-y and there's often other people still around at that time of night.

Rumtopf Sun 18-Dec-16 23:34:08

If you're safe enough and walking in well lit areas you are familiar with and crime is low then no, sounds fine to me!
When I had a lot on my mind and couldn't settle I'd often take the dog out at silly o'clock in the morning for a good long walk. He's a big beast so I feel safer.

Euripidesralph Sun 18-Dec-16 23:35:24

I'm a runner and to be honest I prefer running at night and will often go late ish , I've just come back from a run now but on bad nights can easily go at 2 am , partly because I have someone else in the house at night for dcs but partly because I like it

I keep my wits about me and like you live in an area that there are usually people around (in my case a large town )

I say if it works and you stay aware go for it

Domino20 Sun 18-Dec-16 23:39:45

It would be silly not to go if you enjoy it. I think your partner is just concerned for your safety and a little shocked that he had never noticed your absence? Perhaps reassure him that you will always take a mobile phone with you? It's important to go outside when depressed so if this is when you like to go, great!

LittleBooInABox Sun 18-Dec-16 23:49:41

Night walks fix a lot. Looking up at the stars can make you feel really small and insignificant (in a good way)

So long as your staying safe, keep your wits about you, then YANBU but I can see why your DP cares!

MotherFuckingChainsaw Sun 18-Dec-16 23:53:09

<feels happy now I've found my people >

Thanks for starting this OP

Sunnydays365 Mon 19-Dec-16 00:35:41

I would love to go walking as I'm often restless but can't leave the children alone. I quite often open the patio doors and sit outside 3/4 am the quietness is soothing

Hardshoulder Mon 19-Dec-16 00:38:32

I do this all the time, though I live right out in the country, so I'm just walking through fields and woods. It's lovely, and far, far better than lying in bed with your head buzzing.

Daisyfrumps Mon 19-Dec-16 00:39:51

Ooh lovely! I particularly enjoy the smell of the night air

Mintychoc1 Mon 19-Dec-16 00:42:31

I wouldn't do it, way too scary and risky

FeralBeryl Mon 19-Dec-16 00:47:18

Oh I love a midnight stroll pokemoning
As long as you stay safe, keep aware of your surroundings and tell someone roughly where you're going I feel fine.

Hardshoulder Mon 19-Dec-16 00:55:02

Doesn't it depending on where you're walking, Minty? I assume the OP isn't scared or she wouldn't do it, and there's certainly no risk at all where I walk at night.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 19-Dec-16 00:57:55

What we can do and where we can go is so controlled by fear.

Your night-walking is my travelling. People think things are risky that really aren't. Enjoy!

Knittedfrog Mon 19-Dec-16 00:58:54

I'd be too scared to but I do like to sit in the garden late at night/ early hours. The peace and the night air are so relaxing.

SleepingTiger Mon 19-Dec-16 01:01:58

No.
But don't create a routine, just to take that extra precaution.

RedNoseRumble Mon 19-Dec-16 01:04:06

As long as you feel safe I don't see the issue.

I totally understand how different it feels. I love going for a walk early evening at this time of year. Ds & I had a walk around the estate, looking at the Christmas lights. I also love the feeing of having the place to myself, if that makes sense.

oldlaundbooth Mon 19-Dec-16 01:04:39

DH often goes.for a bike ride late at night, he's sees loads of wild animals, likes the quiet, etc.

TheWoodlander Mon 19-Dec-16 01:08:20

Do you know, I would love to do this - and the dog would love it if I did this and him with me. But I don;t - I'm a scared of the dark type wimp who get's spooked easily. I tend to have a cup of decaf tea and sit with MN for a bit.

I don't see any problem with what you do though.

AVirginLitTheCandle Mon 19-Dec-16 01:11:26

I don't tell people where I'm going. I don't actually live with DP (it's still really only early days in the relationship so no risk of him waking up and finding me missing. I live alone so there's really no one to tell tbh.

I don't feel scared. If I did I wouldn't do it.

Seren85 Mon 19-Dec-16 01:19:31

Unfortunately where I live it just wouldn't be safe but it sounds like you have considered the safety element and are happy. TBH anything could happen any time anyway so you shouldn't feel constrained if you are happy that it is safe. I often go and sit in your backyard in the early hours when I am anxious and can't sleep which is kind of my version of what you are doing.

Seren85 Mon 19-Dec-16 01:20:02

Ha! My backyard. I am not stalking you OP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now