Talk

Advanced search

10yo DS has hunted for presents... Wibu to make him wait for gifts?

(98 Posts)
YetAnotherUser Sun 18-Dec-16 22:34:18

10yo DS has hunted for (and found) some presents... Not for the first time either.

WIBU to:
A) Get him a sack of coal to open
B) Make him wait until after lunch to open his presents
C) Both of the above?

Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Sun 18-Dec-16 22:36:06

Neither. He has spoiled his own surprise. Your best bet is to ignore it and hand him his presents as usual and he will feel disappointment with himself for taking away his surprise on Christmas mornings

Thingywhatsit Sun 18-Dec-16 22:37:06

Depends on what he found? Were they his big or small presents?

kiki22 Sun 18-Dec-16 22:37:47

Both grin

It would depend how easily he found them so if he opened a cupboard and they were there he had a peek I would understand the temptation and thing my fault for not hiding better but if he actually searched the house purposely to find them I would give him a punishment hes old enough to know better.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 18-Dec-16 22:38:19

Just give them as normal.

NorksAreMessy Sun 18-Dec-16 22:38:27

Can you HONESTLY say you never did this yourself?

raspberryrippleicecream Sun 18-Dec-16 22:39:10

Presents aren't until after lunch here anyway.

Does he know you know?

Patriciathestripper1 Sun 18-Dec-16 22:40:30

You should have hid them better!! Your fault.
Every child hunts for prezzies, you are being unreasonable

GeillisTheWitch Sun 18-Dec-16 22:41:19

Neither. He has spoiled his own surprise. Your best bet is to ignore it and hand him his presents as usual and he will feel disappointment with himself for taking away his surprise on Christmas morning

Agree with this, I did it once and Christmas morning was such an anticlimax it was enough punishment.

user1471548375 Sun 18-Dec-16 22:41:25

Ignore it and hide them somewhere better next year. DP hides mine at his mum and dad's to stop me finding them. I'm 31.

neolara Sun 18-Dec-16 22:42:38

Wasn't hunting for presents half the fun of Xmas as a kid?

GooodMythicalMorning Sun 18-Dec-16 22:42:53

I never hunted, not once. Didn't want to ruin the surprise.

YetAnotherUser Sun 18-Dec-16 22:43:29

He's almost certainly discovered his new crash hat, which leads into the fact he's getting a new bike. The other presents are either quite small or for his little brother.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sun 18-Dec-16 22:45:53

I never hunted either. I don't understand why you would.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 18-Dec-16 22:46:30

Does it really matter? You'll look back on this when he's an adult and laugh about it.

YetAnotherUser Sun 18-Dec-16 22:47:46

Tbfh I think I'm more angry with myself, I should have hidden them better (or at least wrapped them sooner).

I know he's a hunter, I know he's a toe rag and exactly what he's like... But it's a small house and hiding places are at a premium.

Still want to get the little git a big sack of coal though.

PickAChew Sun 18-Dec-16 22:48:41

where has it in a nutshell.

I don't think there was a Christmas after the age of 14 when I didn't know what I was getting because I'd already found it, in the exact same place! Can''t say I didn't try before then!

DodoRevival Sun 18-Dec-16 22:52:06

Never hunted either - find it odd the desperate need to know something being so strong you'd be driven to sneak about!!

YouHadMeAtCake Sun 18-Dec-16 23:09:31

I hunted very year after finding them by accident one year. Same place every year. I hated knowing but still looked. I had genius hiding places when our DC were growing up. They never found any. Always a surprise on the day. Find a better hiding place!

PacificDogwod Sun 18-Dec-16 23:11:46

I never tried to find presents, on one occasion stumbled across them and was horrified!

I am with 'he spoilt his own surprise' and that is his punishment.
I may be very tempted to give him a bag of coals anyway as well though grin

AuditAngel Sun 18-Dec-16 23:12:20

Give him coal, and don't give him the presents. (Until later)

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 18-Dec-16 23:12:46

I can still peel tape off and stick it back on again perfectly. I'm a ninja.

He's ten. Just give the presents.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 18-Dec-16 23:14:39

Give him the presents as usual. He's ruined the surprise for.himself.

Krampus Sun 18-Dec-16 23:15:18

Give them at the same time you usually would.
It's his fault if the surprise was ruined but giving them to him later won't change that. Then again he may be very excited because he knows exactely what he is getting and looking forward to it.

Waterlemon Sun 18-Dec-16 23:16:09

I'm with you with the coal - or maybe pants and socks?

My brother did this -it was a spectrum computer that my parents tried to hide in their wardrobe!!!

My mum phoned my aunt and said "the catalogue people have delivered dn present, I'll hang on to it till Christmas Eve so he doesn't find it,"

Then on Christmas eve auntie came and "collected" the present.

On Christmas morning, db opened lots of presents - all of them pants, socks and vests grin

To give him his due, he was very gracious about his presents but you could tell he was very dissapointed. After. Dinner, my parents retrieved the computer from the car boot, where my aunt had left it after "collecting" it.

I remember he actually cried when he opened it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now