Talk

Advanced search

I can't ask this, can I?!

(38 Posts)
MadisonMontgomery Sun 18-Dec-16 21:59:56

My neighbours parents have come for Christmas. Lovely for them, but all they do is stand outside smoking - and their patio is basically underneath my bedroom window. For the past 3 nights I have been kept up til 2-3am by the security light blazing, them gabbing away at the top of their voices, and I can't open my window as my bedroom fills with cigarette smoke. And then it starts again at 8am.

I really can't ask them to smoke elsewhere can I?

Allthewaves Sun 18-Dec-16 22:02:43

Passive agressive window slamming would be my route 😬

NavyandWhite Sun 18-Dec-16 22:04:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MadisonMontgomery Sun 18-Dec-16 22:04:33

I've been doing that!

Gooseygoosey12345 Sun 18-Dec-16 22:05:53

I'd poke my head out and ask nicely if they could keep the noise down a little. They probably just haven't realised they're being so loud

statetrooperstacey Sun 18-Dec-16 22:08:20

Of course u can, as long as u ask nicely, if there is somewhere else in the garden they can go they probably will. I wouldn't go down the route of "my bedroom stinks you dirty bastards". More of a " we are very light sleepers and the security light and talking keeps us awake, we would be very grateful if u/your parents could smoke/ chat further away from the house, thank u so very much" most normal people will be ok with that.

GravyAndShite Sun 18-Dec-16 22:10:10

Oh no. You are right though, in the grand scheme of life it is very insignificant, in my opinion.

Stick you head out and ask to bum a smoke every time. Then puff on it out the window joining in their conversation with an inappropriate amount of detail in you over contribution to it? fgrin

MsAmerica Sun 18-Dec-16 22:11:37

Either walk over or write a note that says, basically:

"Excuse me, Mary, this is a little awkward, but my husband asked me to mention this. I know your parents are being very good about doing their smoking on the patio, but even though it's outdoors, the smoke is somehow drifting directly up to our window. And because it's so quiet at night, the sound is carrying, too, very late at night and early morning. Is there any way you could ask them to try to pull their chairs over to the far side? And I was going to get you a smoke-less ashtray for them to try."

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sun 18-Dec-16 22:11:50

Can you reach the security light from your window? Even with a broom handle?

DecaffCoffeeAndRollupsPlease Sun 18-Dec-16 22:14:36

I would be ok with a neighbour asking me to smoke somewhere else. If I didn't get on with them then I doubt I would take it so well.
The neighbour's parents don't usually reside there so it's only a temporary inconvenience for you at the moment, so... maybe just put up with it knowing that the end is in sight?

Ankleswingers Sun 18-Dec-16 22:18:24

Yes you can say something. It's not 9 or 10 o'clock- it's 2 or 3 am.

The security light would piss me off but them talking loudly would fucking infuriate me.

What? Are you meant to put up with that every night until and after Christmas?

Say something- ask them politely and hopefully they'll be a bit more considerate.

Selfish twats.

ComedyBoobs Sun 18-Dec-16 22:22:20

Empty your chamber pot out of the window with a cheery 'Seasons Greetings' fgrin

TrinityForce Sun 18-Dec-16 22:25:34

Just tell them to be quiet at 2-3am, politely but without carrying on or apologising for it.

OnTheUp13 Sun 18-Dec-16 22:27:18

Stand naked in the window with the light on in your bedroom....and just smile at them wink

LindyHemming Sun 18-Dec-16 22:29:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bluntness100 Sun 18-Dec-16 22:29:40

Can you block out the light some way, even draping a towel over the curtain rod or blinds?

statetrooperstacey Sun 18-Dec-16 22:30:52

^ ^ yes! Do this!

CheeseCakeSunflowers Sun 18-Dec-16 22:31:33

Lean out of the window and join in the conversation, make sure your remarks are very annoying.

statetrooperstacey Sun 18-Dec-16 22:31:47

I meant the naked window thing

melj1213 Sun 18-Dec-16 22:34:13

Just knock on your neighbour's door and tell them exactly what you have put in your OP. "Really sorry to be annoying but your parents cigarette smoke is drifting straight into our bedroom window and their voices are carrying really clearly, especially in the evening, so is there any chance you could ask them to smoke elsewhere and be mindful of their conversation volume, especially after 10pm as we go to bed then? Thanks so much!"

57968sp Sun 18-Dec-16 22:40:24

Security lights shouldn't be a problem if you have decent curtains. Heavy curtains would also mute the noise a bit.
Personally I would explained nicely to my neighbour that the noise and smoke are a problem and ask if they could use the front door for this from 10pm at night.

Benedikte2 Sun 18-Dec-16 22:41:58

Do you own your home or is a rental property. If so I'd complain to the Landlord . Smoke is a health and safety issue.

Jux Sun 18-Dec-16 22:51:43

Why can't you say anything? Are you on good terms with the neighbours or have you had massive problems with them? If you're OK with them, then of course you can ask.

1horatio Sun 18-Dec-16 22:56:05

Tell them to please be quiet...

If they won't be quiet.

I don't know. Be a passive aggressive little sh**-head. Put some flowers you don't care about or something on your window ledge and water them. Loads of water... they'd be wet.

But that should be the very last resort, I think.

1horatio Sun 18-Dec-16 22:56:51

I mean the people below you would be wet.

Or just do something that will make them wake up early to tomorrow. Maybe they wouldn't stay up this long?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: