Talk

Advanced search

To ask how I get a referee for uni now?

(13 Posts)
identityhidden Sun 18-Dec-16 18:42:51

I'm trying to apply to do Speech therapy , through UCAS. My application is due 15th January. I've obviously been a fucking idiot and left it late. I was hoping to use my boss as a reference and emailed her asking if we could talk it over.

Sod's law, I landed up very unwell on Thursday and was admitted to hospital. Hospital are saying in all likelihood I won't be in work again until the end of January, I'm having an op in 2 weeks and not well enough to work before that apparently.

I don't know what to do or who to ask, if I should phone my boss and ask if she's still agreeable but I think that smacks of being selfish and self centred. I've landed her in the position of having to find cover for Christmas shifts in hospital - surely she won't want to get involved with a reference now?

Can I ask other people? I left university 2 years ago so no one there will remember me - English dept, dozens of lecturers and no personal tutor . I left school nearly 10 years ago and again, they won't be able to help.

I'm not a member of any groups or classes, not for a long time sad

I did briefly consider asking an old friend who's a lecturer, she tutored me in 2010. Last resort is my GP who I know would do this - she's done similar before - and could vouch for me but I think that would be more of a character reference?

I'm sitting in floods of tears over this situation - can't tell family as they will say it's my own fault for leaving it so late, but I am devastated that I might not be able to apply this year sad

miserablesod Sun 18-Dec-16 18:45:18

I think you should ask your boss, its not your fault you've ended up in hospital.

Gallavich Sun 18-Dec-16 18:50:39

Ask your boss! Your illness has no bearing on this at all.

SpeckledyBanana Sun 18-Dec-16 18:52:29

Ask your boss. Any decent person wouldn't mind.

PenguinsandPebbles Sun 18-Dec-16 18:53:37

As someone who owns a company, I personally wouldn't feel put out in helping you. I wouldn't be so selfish as not to help someone who has been taken unwell. If your a good employee your manager will know, and will help you.

Hope you feel better soon flowers

Ice3 Sun 18-Dec-16 18:53:53

I would ask your boss too.

BellyBean Sun 18-Dec-16 18:54:05

Ask your boss. The worst they can say is too busy.

identityhidden Sun 18-Dec-16 19:17:23

I'll try to phone her tomorrow then, I need to update on her what's happening anyway. Got to phone GP surgery as well sad

I am feeling a little bit better. Just a bit stunned I think. I don't really remember much of Thursday or Friday, but the nurses were helping me get out of bed and walk to the toilet and all sorts. When I think about it I start crying because that's normally my job. I know that sounds silly. I was given lots and lots of pain relief both before admission and after (tramadol , cocodamol, dihydrocodeine and oramoprh) and the doctors think that over sedated me , I was having hallucinations and couldn't string a sentence together eventually.

I've finished my personal statement now, just need someone to check it over , don't know who - and I'll ask my boss tomorrow on the phone if she's happy. Glad it doesn't sound a terrible suggestion. I just feel bad for not going in, especially at this time of year. I was meant to be on duty for Christmas Day and hospital are saying that won't be happening now, just need a line from GP tomorrow or something.

harderandharder2breathe Sun 18-Dec-16 19:52:43

Ask your boss. It's not your fault you're ill and being in hospital it's obvious you're not exaggerating it or taking the piss (hopefully he knows you wouldn't do this anyway).

Welshmaenad Sun 18-Dec-16 21:17:44

If it encourages you, I decided to take the plunge and apply to go back to uni the day I was given notice of redundancy. I checked UCAS and applications closed at 6pm THAT DAY. I bashed out my personal statement in my lunch hour and got my boss to do me a reference via email whilst I was out on visits. I was offered an interview at all 3 institutions I applied to and got a place at my chosen one.

You aren't leaving it late AT ALL wink. Loadsa time. And if your boss is halfway human she'll be delighted to help you.

identityhidden Mon 19-Dec-16 09:46:17

Welsh grin that's really quite impressive! Well done you grin

The good news is that my boss said that's absolutely fine, no problem at all, and she was very understanding and sympathetic about being off unwell. Even asked before I did about if I had organised a medical note. I'm signed off officially until Boxing Day what a relief.

w12newmum Mon 19-Dec-16 09:49:31

Ask your boss and also contact your old uni as back up - they have a department that will be used to these requests and will be able to out you in touch with someone who can help. Good luck

TheProblemOfSusan Mon 19-Dec-16 10:39:49

Was just about to type that your boss won't bat an eyelid about this when I saw your update - I love being right :D

But just as a note, if you ever do need an academic reference, just pick up the phone to your old department and ask what to do: they will absolutely have a system in place for this, they get requests going back twenty odd years and will have some way of saying 'yes this person was here and was fine, look she got a 1st' or whatever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now