Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to wonder if people really wait until Christmas Day?

(163 Posts)
Supermagicsmile Sun 18-Dec-16 15:22:32

We have sent some Christmas presents that have arrived with family. Only very little things, nothing grant or expensive. Received a text to say "they're under the tree, can't wait to open them on Christmas Day" and I wondered if people ever actually wait till Christmas Day?! worried they'll be really disappointed as it's just a shower gel and lip balm set for the girls and chocolates for their parents. Would prefer if they opened now so didn't get excited about what was inside!

Artandco Sun 18-Dec-16 15:23:45

Of course, they are Christmas gifts not 18th December gifts

Supermagicsmile Sun 18-Dec-16 15:23:53

If we get things in the post, we open them and I write down what it was and then text on Christmas Day to thank people. (We see most people in person so it's over ever a couple of bits from far away family."

GreenTureen Sun 18-Dec-16 15:24:09

Why would you open them before though? Christmas presents get opened on Christmas day!

We've had a couple of parcels from family members in other parts of the country...the boxes get opened and the wrapped presents go under the tree!

ShelaghTurner Sun 18-Dec-16 15:25:19

Of course you keep them till Christmas! I'm shocked!

ReadyPlayerOne Sun 18-Dec-16 15:27:00

We wait until Christmas Day. They are Christmas presents.

WeedlesHatOfDisappointment Sun 18-Dec-16 15:27:12

I wait! If I get any presents either through the post or given to me in person.
4 year old ds is allowed to open the present if the person is there in person, and the giver wants to see his reaction. If he gets it through the post though, he also has to wait.

OrangeFluff Sun 18-Dec-16 15:27:56

Yep I wait. I like seeing all the presents under the tree, and having lots to open on the day!

They're probably just being nice and polite, showing gratitude that you've sent presents. I doubt they'll genuinely be disappointed by anything they get! Don't overthink it!

WhoKnowsWhereTheT1meG0es Sun 18-Dec-16 15:27:58

I wouldn't dream of opening a Christmas present before the day.

user1481916344 Sun 18-Dec-16 15:28:24

Ours get opened on whatever day we have our winter celebration (never 25th).

NoCapes Sun 18-Dec-16 15:28:34

confused but they're christmas presents?!

Costacoffeeplease Sun 18-Dec-16 15:29:19

Who opens Christmas presents before Christmas? confused

Sophieontoastie Sun 18-Dec-16 15:29:24

Meh, really does depend.

My DH and I won't see my side of the family for 2 weeks now so got them to open all their presents on Saturday (when we saw them)

We did all agree that the child would just open one present each and leave the rest for Christmas - but they all ended up opening them. Which was nice because we spend a lot of money and want to see their faces smile

DH opened my Nan's gifts last night - even though he said he wouldn't!

I think children can often have too much to open so it's nice to open some things early

Sparlklesilverglitter Sun 18-Dec-16 15:29:41

Yes we wait, why wouldn't we?

They go under the tree ready for Christmas Day

TeaBelle Sun 18-Dec-16 15:30:10

We always wait but as we are never home for Christmas we often don't open them.until a few days after the 25th. I worry that people think we are terribly rude for not sending a timely thank you

VeryBitchyRestingFace Sun 18-Dec-16 15:30:19

Yeah, I wait. My presents tend to be the same old, same old.

I'm grateful to be getting them, but who the heck would be sufficiently excited over the usual suspects of smellies/pyjamas/slippers etc, to open them a week in advance??

TheSquashyHatOfMrGnosspelius Sun 18-Dec-16 15:30:30

Christmas day is when they get opened. It's part of what makes the day so special. I have had a present here since the end of September from a friend that lives abroad. I wouldn't consider opening it before Christmas day.

Pinkheart5915 Sun 18-Dec-16 15:30:58

They are Christmas presents for Christmas which is the 25th so Yes we wait. Why wouldn't we wait? confused

IfartInYourGeneralDirection Sun 18-Dec-16 15:31:21

We wait,

Mirandawest Sun 18-Dec-16 15:31:33

I wouldn't open them before Christmas.

DD opened her secret Santa present on Friday but she had some friends over and so they all opened them together but that's the only pre Christmas opening that happens

SingaSong12 Sun 18-Dec-16 15:31:40

I'd wait (now just need to find someone to send me somegrin)

Sparklingbrook Sun 18-Dec-16 15:32:07

My Mum and Dad always open presents as soon as they receive them.

I don't see why it matters to wait until the day although I just put them under the tree. I could open them if I wanted I guess.

RNBrie Sun 18-Dec-16 15:32:19

All the presents we've received by post are under the tree!

NoelHeadbands Sun 18-Dec-16 15:32:37

I hate to break it to you OP but you're the odd ones grin

user1481916344 Sun 18-Dec-16 15:33:04

Who opens Christmas presents before Christmas?

If our celebration takes place in late Nov/early December then that's when they get opened. We don't wait for arbitrary xmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now