Talk

Advanced search

To be this exhausted after being sterilised?

(15 Posts)
WanMairChoon Sun 18-Dec-16 13:49:36

Had my tubes tied on Friday. Barely have the energy to keep my eyes open.....it's a bigger issue than pain. Incision sites look good. Am fit and healthy and in good health generally. Currently white as a sheet, sleeping constantly, blood pressure when I left the ward was 87/54, its always low so that didn't bother me or them.

Should I be calling the ward?

Timeforabiscuit Sun 18-Dec-16 13:50:52

I would call the ward to check to be honest.

Good luck with your recovery!

KurriKurri Sun 18-Dec-16 13:55:42

I find a GA takes a good week to ten days to fully leave my system - until then I am exhausted. Any Abdo op will leave you very tired (I've had loads) - and you need to rest - go with what your body is telling you and don;t get frustrated. You can do more harm in terms of length of recovery if you try to do too much too quickly.

If your wound looks fine, and you are OK apart from exhausted, then probably all is OK and normal. But obviously I am not medical (just been on the receiving end! ) and if you are at all worried phone the ward.

WanMairChoon Sun 18-Dec-16 13:59:16

I've had my tubes partly removed, which I realise makes it a longer recovery than the standard clips. I'm just concerned that even lying down I feel faint.

WhatsGoingOnEh Sun 18-Dec-16 14:01:01

Are you worried you might be bleeding internally? I'd go to A&E.

MrsJayy Sun 18-Dec-16 14:01:10

Oh it took me a good 10 days to recover and even then I had to nap in the afternoon if you are still feeling rough midweek then contact the gynae ward or if you feel worse obviously do it before then.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 18-Dec-16 14:04:01

After a general anaesthetic you will feel more drowsy and lacking in energy for a couple of days. Other reasons would include not eating properly before or after the Op, disturbed sleep possibly due to worry beforehand and pain afterwards?
Blood loss can also cause slight anaemia which can wipe you out and the healing process your body is going through will also use up a lot of energy.

Don't expect to bounce back straight away. Rest and eat well, keep hydrated and as mentioned check with the ward if you feel worse or don't improve.
I'm not sure if you've been prescribed painkillers but some opiate based ones make me very spaced out and sleepy.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 18-Dec-16 14:06:04

Have you had GA before? Some people recover slowly; it can take a week to ten days. I bounce back in hours so this would be concerning for me.

Get well soon flowers

purplefizz26 Sun 18-Dec-16 14:06:57

I've no experience to help with, but if you are feeling unwell or experiencing symptoms they haven't told you to expect I would contact the hospital and ask to be checked over.
You never know if you could have had a reaction or complication that needs medical attention.
Hope you're ok!

Crunchymum Sun 18-Dec-16 14:10:18

Ring 111 or OOH if you have someone to take you? You could try the ward?

You sound quite poorly OP and it's best to get a medical opinion.

MrsJayy Sun 18-Dec-16 14:18:06

I agree if you not feeling right contact the ward or your Gp don't suffer

Monr0e Sun 18-Dec-16 14:27:34

I had a GA on Tuesday and like you my BP was very low afterwards. I am still feeling the effects now, very lethargic especially in the afternoons and can feel quite lightheaded if I try and move around too much. I've had a GA before and was the same that time so I know this is normal for me but if you are having concerns then definitely do as others suggest and call and speak to someone. Good luck with your recovery.

FayKorgasm Sun 18-Dec-16 14:36:41

It would do no harm to ring the ward, did you have any blood loss?

WanMairChoon Sun 18-Dec-16 15:33:34

Yes, they just said go to the gp tomorrow which I can't possibly manage alone, so dh will work from home and take me over.

Normally ok after GA but, that said, there's a certain amount of emotional stress with this too, some of it a probably that.

PandoraMole Sun 18-Dec-16 19:33:23

How have you slept of a night since the op?

I had an ovary removed and tubes tied last year, and whilst I didn't feel exhausted per se, I was in much more pain/discomfort than previous keyhole abdo surgeries which made it difficult to get comfy and sleep in bed at night.

Hope they manage to get to the bottom of it and you're feeling better soon flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now