Talk

Advanced search

Reading book collections (7 year old)

(30 Posts)
justforthisonce Sun 18-Dec-16 08:57:23

Posting here for traffic as it's only a few days to go :

My dd is a good reader , she is 7 year two - she has read everything we have so far here - we are now at the point where Roald Dahl is too hard and first stage chapter books are too easy
Could anyone recommend and reading collections in between please ?

Nokia3310 Sun 18-Dec-16 09:04:07

I bought these as gifts once for some able 7 year olds and they seemed to go down well www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?productId=620514&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&topCatId=116707&categoryId=128706&pageNumber=7

kimlo Sun 18-Dec-16 09:05:02

before Roald Dahl dd2 was reading horrid henry, a mixture of the early readers and the normal ones. There were also a couple of the younger reader Mallory Blackman books.

SouthWindsWesterly Sun 18-Dec-16 09:07:01

Mine still loves rainbow fairies or you could also try some of the Enid Blytons like the famous five or fairaway tree

justforthisonce Sun 18-Dec-16 09:10:03

Thank you , I've just ordered the secret seven from Amazon , dd likes rainbow fairies too ,
We have got the enchanted wood but they are too many words for her at the moment

TheFrenchLieutenantsMonkey Sun 18-Dec-16 09:18:15

Milly Molly Mandy books are lovely and fairly easy to read.

ElfAndSafetyBored Sun 18-Dec-16 09:23:02

Have you read the 'I am not a loser' series? They cracked us up.

LadyCallandraDaviot Sun 18-Dec-16 09:27:00

we've got DS (age 6 but a really good reader) the Jonny Duddle chapter books - he wrote the Pirates Next Door and The Pirate Cruncher, and these books have the same characters in but are a bit harder/ more grown up.

www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=jonny+duddle&sprefix=jonny%2Caps%2C140&crid=AB5VIILBZOQ4

LittleOwl153 Sun 18-Dec-16 09:29:53

Similar phase here - Enid blyton is our current answer, but being careful to select the 'smaller' books. Amelia Jane, Famous Five, Secret Seven, Naughtist Girl in School. (Latter being a bit bigger). Also going to try the Adventure Box magazine - tesco points. If Winnie the Witch was popular try Jill Murphy's Worst Witch. Winnie the pooh in separated books. I'll keep thinking and keep watching for replies!

LittleOwl153 Sun 18-Dec-16 09:40:26

'How to train your dragon' is the Brownie Book Club book this month. You might get some ideas from there...

TheSnowFairy Sun 18-Dec-16 11:04:58

Try the Mr Gum series? Mine loved it.

MiladyThesaurus Sun 18-Dec-16 11:16:17

If Roald Dahl is too hard, how to train your dragon will be much, much to hard (and long). It's brilliant though.

What I do with my DSes is take them to Waterstones and let them browse the appropriate age sections for ages and use that to work out what they'd like. It meant DS2 could have a go at reading the books to see if they'd be too much for him. He read a lot of beast quest and horrid Henry (both of which I was delighted to see the back of). The staff in our local Waterstones are great at suggesting books for the children too. DS discovered some books he loved because of an enthusiastic recommendation from a good book seller.

hellswelshy Sun 18-Dec-16 11:17:39

The ‘Ramona' books by Beverly Cleary are fab! There are about 10 in total and although they are quite old now, they are funny and fresh as ever. Twin dds loved them, we read them together initially but they are books to go back to I thinkfsmile

drivingmisspotty Sun 18-Dec-16 11:25:41

My DD is 7 too and has loved the 'Daisy and the trouble with...' books by Kes Gray. And I like them too! A fairly easy read but great sense of humour. Also Popping Longstocking (although some of the vocab is tricky) , the Anne Booth Christmas books eg 'Lucys secret reindeer' and Holly Webb books eg 'Snow Bear' (My DD also likes rainbow fairies/magic animal friends etc and I think Holly Webb/Anne Booth are a good meeting point of cute animal themes and good quality writing!)

Recently she has read Mr Stink by David Williams and i have got her The Midnight Gang for her stocking.

She liked the Shirley Hughes books about a dog and Marilyn Blackman girl wonder series too but she hasn't dipped into those for a while so wonder if they are better for 5/6 yr old.

Thanks for starting I love a book thread and will be looking for tips!

drivingmisspotty Sun 18-Dec-16 11:27:05

Excuse my auto correct typos-. PIPPI Longstocking and David WALLIAMS of course!

Nokia3310 Sun 18-Dec-16 11:32:21

Oh I used to love the Ramona books!

ThanksForAllTheFish Sun 18-Dec-16 11:37:51

My 7 year old DD is a a similar level to yours. She got a famous five book (one about hidden treasure) from her Santa visit a couple of weeks ago and she is coping well with it and appears to be enjoying the story. I think the problem with Rolad Dahl books for this stage are the made up words. Great stories but just too many nonsense words to decode which she finds tiring.

We have tried the Rainbow Fairy books but DD isn't keen and looking through them myself I don't think they are written very well - they just don't flow nicely. DD also likes the Magic Animal book series and the RSPCA ones. I think TK Maxx currently has box sets of both for £10. She has also requested Diary of a Wimpy Kid books for Christmas. (I blame the -hushed tone grin- happy meal freebies given out a couple of months ago). I think some of the concepts are a bit old for her but she really enjoys the diary style format and the little doodles. We have bought her a couple to see how she gets on. Oh and if your DD is a fan of Littlest Pet Shop Poundworld has a few Littlest Pet Shop chapter books in at the moment.

user1471446433 Sun 18-Dec-16 11:49:32

Spell sisters
Owls Of blossom wood
Magic Treehouse
Kingdom of Wrenley (may be too easy)
Usborne beginners/readers books are fab & on every topic under the sun
13 storey Treehouse etc
Zoe's rescue zoo
Rescue Princesses
Tiara club

bingandflop Sun 18-Dec-16 11:55:38

Horrid Henry?

liz70 Sun 18-Dec-16 11:56:42

"Milly Molly Mandy books are lovely and fairly easy to read."

Oh yes, definitely, but with a fair number of unfamiliar and challenging words too. DD3 (7) recently finished the omnibus edition that she inherited from her now teenaged sisters. Second Rainbow Fairies too, also the Badger stories, DD3 loves Horrid Henry too, also anything unicorn/pony related, and the abridged bookset of Wind in the Willows illustrated by Inga Moore is gorgeous. She also adored the Grump and the Hairy Mammoth books that I remembered from my own childhood; they're OOP now, but I got some 2nd hand on Amazon. Similarly I might try her with the Mrs. Pepperpot books as I loved them too at that age, also the Ramona books which I have fond memories of at that age. I have an ebook edition of the Paddington stories, but DD3 hasn't started that yet. Just a few suggestions. smile

jayisforjessica Sun 18-Dec-16 13:29:58

More Enid Blyton - The Faraway Tree series, and the Wishing Chair series are lovely stories for smaller children.

justforthisonce Mon 19-Dec-16 13:09:22

Really good ideas here , thank you all ,
I particularly like the idea of taking her to Waterstones

MsDragonne Mon 19-Dec-16 13:17:30

Dd2 is in year 2 and currently reading my naughty little sister books, she's loving them, they're easy enough but have some unfamiliar words in.

She's getting my little pony books for Christmas, which she will be thrilled with (although they might be books for us to share rather than being read independently).

Winnie the witch chapter books are good, but each chapter is a new story.

Holly Webb has a load of animal books that are pretty good for this age think.

We're also getting some princess disgrace books about a non-girly princess, they look like fun but I'm not sure if they might have to many words on the page.

LittleOwl153 Wed 21-Dec-16 22:41:31

Adam Frost - London zoo series - there's a snake in your suitcase etc. Also dd picked up an old Flat Stanley tonight which she found v funny!

allowlsthinkalot Thu 22-Dec-16 13:47:47

Holly Webb
RSPCA Animal Rescue
Little Animal Ark
My Little Pony early readers
Katie Morag

Are all things my dd enjoyed before she hit proper chapter books.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now