Talk

Advanced search

To say my Mum is bloody hiding a secret here?!

(17 Posts)
Sophieontoastie Sat 17-Dec-16 22:20:33

She's 4 DC (including me grin).

I slept through from birth really, best sleeper according to my Mum but most difficult 'child'

Dsister1 slept through from 6 weeks but before that slept in good chunks anyway.

Dsister2 slept through from about 4 weeks - I remember this well (huge age gap between us), as often my Mum would be wide awake in pains from a C Section and go downstairs so she didn't wake DSister2 with her tears sad

Dbrother slept through pretty much from birth! Again, I remember all this as I was 16 at the time. Know something else? He transferred into his own room at 1 just as well as his sisters. DM was in so much pain with a hernia from C Section complications that I often gave him feeds etc. Never had a problem with any of them and good sleepers... if not excellent.

AIBU to accuse DM of hiding a secret? My own baby will be here very soon and I just know they'll be pants at sleeping hmm

PossumInAPearTree Sat 17-Dec-16 22:25:00

Gin? grin

Sophieontoastie Sat 17-Dec-16 22:27:35

Possum That allowed? If so let me know before baby's arrival, Asda are a great stockist

She just takes motherhood in her stride and I often feel very emotional that chances are, my own experience won't be anything like that

wherethefuckisthefuckingtuna Sat 17-Dec-16 22:33:04

If you find out what it is, please let me know. DS2 is due in April and if he sleeps (or not!!) like his brother, I think I'll lose my fucking mind!!!!

AnnieAnoniMouse Sat 17-Dec-16 22:58:36

With genes like that yours will be good sleepers too!

FGS don't lose sleep now worrying about the sleep you might lose then 😂

Iambubbles86 Sat 17-Dec-16 23:03:12

Luck or false memories. Id have sworn ds1 was an amazing sleeper who never threw tantrums and talked coherently from 14 months old.... Facebook memories has told me different

Softkitty2 Sat 17-Dec-16 23:04:44

I am currently patting dd's bum so she will go back to sleep been sleepless for 8 months

Surely it will get better?

Enkopkaffetak Sat 17-Dec-16 23:12:12

I think it is in the genes. Both dh and I were good sleepers as babies according to our mothers. Our 4 and my niece were also all good sleepers.

D SIL says hers were awful and her MIL says that was how her son (Sils dh) was too..

I know there is nothing scientific about this but its just what i think.

Either that or I am in on the secret with your mum grin

yeOldeTrout Sat 17-Dec-16 23:23:28

My mother said I was a great sleeper.
I'm a rampant life-long insomniac & DC aren't great sleepers either. hmm
Since my mother suffered from selective memory in other areas...

MrsBobDylan Sat 17-Dec-16 23:31:23

I was a fantastic sleeper. My mum had to wake me up every morning and put me down at 6pm because I was so ready to sleep.

Sleeping is still my best talent. Unfortunately my own DC have not inherited my amazing talent and have been fucking up my sleep ability for 9 years now <wails/beats chest>

edwinbear Sat 17-Dec-16 23:35:19

My DM says the reason babies were such good sleepers 'in the old days' was because they went into their own rooms from day 1 and monitors hasn't been invented, so they would really need to be really upset to be heard.

HerRoyalFattyness Sat 17-Dec-16 23:36:30

I was a terrible sleeper (and terrible child!)
DS1 didn't sleep through the night until he was 4. He's now 8 and currently in my bed (he is upset)
DD slept through from birth. She's a fantastic sleeper. She is a demon child though.
DS2 is getting better. He's 16 months and mostly sleeps. Sometimes he doesn't though.

I think it's just all down to luck and nothing to do with genes.

Redesul Sat 17-Dec-16 23:51:39

My son slept through since 5 weeks old. I'm actually convinced that my DP and I simply slept through his crying one night and then that was that...

I think I slept through very early, 3-4 weeks old. However, since I was 2 or 3 I've suffered greatly from restless limb syndrome and other insomnia problems. These days I get about 5 hours a night on average.

Though a trend here is that I was formula fed, and my son was combi fed.

Enkopkaffetak Sun 18-Dec-16 00:07:16

All of mine was breast fed and latest to sleep through did so at 6 weeks. (having only every woken once at 3 to feed for 10 mins then asleep again)

So dont think feeding has anything to do with it. MrsBob you say you were a good sleeper What about dad? Edwin I had all mine in the bedroom with dh and I so the out of hearing didnt work with us.

I do think it is genes/luck of the draw

Bogeyface Sun 18-Dec-16 00:14:08

I had the secret....or so I thought!

DS1, slept through from 6 weeks.
DD2, slept through from 3 weeks (although that may be to do with the colic that had her screaming from 6 to 11pm daily....)
DD3, slept through from a few days

then

DD4. Slept through at 14 months, 6 weeks after her younger brother slept through at 2 weeks old.

Night waking I could cope with. Unexpected pregnancy with SPD, then a newborn and night wakings that were not the newborn....not so much.

Bogeyface Sun 18-Dec-16 00:14:52

Oh and DC 6 slept through at 4 months, but as H is a much lighter sleeper than me and got up to her....not my problem grin

Whatgives Sun 18-Dec-16 00:18:49

It's genes! My dh could sleep for England and all our kids slept through at between 5-7 wks. Technically they slept through from birth doing 6+ hours, but I call sleeping through 10-12 hrs. They were all breastfed too, so I don't believe it's anything to do with how they are fed. So you can just hope they get your families nice sleepy genes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now