Talk

Advanced search

Not an AIBU. If you are self employed, can I ask what you do? Can you inspire me?

(13 Posts)
JingleMum Sat 17-Dec-16 21:45:34

Posted this in chat & not much traffic, so thought i'd try here instead as i'm looking for a fresh start in the New year and it's fast approaching.

If you work for yourself, what is it that you do. What days/hours do you work? Do you get by financially?

I'm self employed/freelance, always have been. Find it very difficult to work a normal 9-5 for anyone else. Unfortunately the area I work in is very fickle, sometimes I have work, sometimes I don't (Actor - Theatre & Corporate role play) It's harder now I have a child, I need more money!

I'd love to do something else on a self employed basis so that I could still act when the work was available, I really don't want to give it up as it's my passion.

Probably have around 5k to invest, so can you inspire me? Any ideas of something else I can do on a self employed basis that would (hopefully) bring a steadier wage in?

Ldnmum2015 Sat 17-Dec-16 22:44:06

I do cleaning, painting and gardening self employed, but I know there are virtual office agencies that you can work per hour and can get you work 24 hrs, you don't need to much investment to start with. Or if your good at selling set up an online shop. It depends what else you enjoy doing, if your hearts in acting do think about energy you are putting in though, sometimes it may suit you to have a mundane job that is flexible than one that makes too many demands on your time.

Ldnmum2015 Sat 17-Dec-16 22:47:30

So I should rephrase, you don't need to much investment to begin with as in just an office, or a few tools, the agencies' wont charge a set up fee!

Ldnmum2015 Sat 17-Dec-16 22:51:37

The going rates I last saw advertised are about £12-15 for virtual office work and cleaning is about thee same, but you have to factor in travel, I don't know much about selling some people are good at it and really do well, but others can be left with unwanted stock.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Sat 17-Dec-16 22:56:59

I'm self employed, work in interpreting. I get by financially, but it's a kind of feast-or-famine industry.

People tend to pay whenever the spirit moves them (and often it doesn't move them often enough!). Larger companies are the worst for that. Having to constantly chase for payment is the most frustrating part of self employment (imo).

musingsofawannabemumpreneur Sat 17-Dec-16 23:09:40

I'm self employed. I have a website and an eBay shop selling kid's toys. I get by, but am not flush by any stretch. If I committed more hours then I could probably double my income but I'm also studying and trying to spend more quality time with my DS. It's quite simple, buying in bulk then splitting down and selling units individually at a profit. I wish you luck smile

DesignedForLife Sat 17-Dec-16 23:11:31

What's virtual office work & where do you find it?

hollie11 Sat 17-Dec-16 23:14:39

I'm a childminder. I started it when my child was a toddler and I absolutely love it. It works well as I do it in my own home, look after lovely children and am around to look after my own child before/after school, school holidays, etc. It's long hours though (minimum 8am-6pm generally) and you have to buy buggies, travel cots, toys, craft supplies, food, playgroup fee's, etc plus insurance (around £100 p/a). Start up fee's are small - couple of hundred for DBS check, ofsted registration etc but depending on where you live, you can make quite good money from it. Depends if you would like to work with children.....I love it but it is full on......no hour lunch breaks (like a 'normal' job) and lots of energy needed daily! Its a job where you need to be a very caring, patient and a fun person and enjoy taking children out to parks, playgroups, doing activities, craft, puzzles, reading stories with them. In London you would charge anywhere between £50-£70 per child per day but I know it tends to be a lot less the further from London you get. You can find out more about the childcare needs in your area and typical fee's from your local find website or call a couple of local childminders/day nurseries if it's something that you might consider.

notagiraffe Sat 17-Dec-16 23:18:12

You could do virtual PR for actors, singers, writers. You'd stay in the world of the arts and be mixing with people you have stuff in common with, making great contacts in the media. learning how to raise people's profiles. A friend does this from home. She promotes all sorts of things - from restaurants to well known singers.

Ldnmum2015 Sat 17-Dec-16 23:23:39

Designforlife, I came across it by accident, but if you google virtual office assistants you should get a list, I think money supermarket did a thread on the best ones a few months ago, there was also an audio touch typing topic discussed, but I got the impression not only did you have to be fast you had to be able to hear, as its audio typing.

Ldnmum2015 Sat 17-Dec-16 23:29:22

Sorrydesign4lufe, I didn't answr fully, they are set ups where you log on to a system, and basically act as front of house for mainly business execs or one man shows, basically you are their assistant, and you work from home, with the agency set up, you may have more than on client, who are booking you on an hour basis.

JingleMum Sun 18-Dec-16 18:07:25

Thanks for the replies, some great suggestions!!

I have an idea in mind, but would need to do much more research. I'd be happy earning £300 a week, could get by on that.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Sun 18-Dec-16 18:19:07

Could you do theatre captioning if you're already in the business?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now