Talk

Advanced search

to think spending Christmas apart is a bit weird....

(111 Posts)
00100001 Sat 17-Dec-16 19:47:28

... Nothing to do with me, I know

But I'm judgey grin

I have two friends - they are late 20s and have been together about 4 years.

They have spent every Christmas apart, because neither of them want to be away from their family on the day. So they go their separate ways on about the 23rd and see each other again on the 26th/27th.

Like I say, SFA to do with me, but I find it curious.

AIBU to think they're... odd?

coldcanary Sat 17-Dec-16 19:50:16

Maybe but there have been years when I'd cheerfully do the same thing and I've been living with the bugger for 17 years!! grin (and I'm sure he'd say the same about me)

CaptainHammer Sat 17-Dec-16 19:50:21

If it works for them then great.
Might be a bit more difficult if they want children in the future though!

ChipIn Sat 17-Dec-16 19:51:57

No weird. DH and I did the same until DD came along. Maybe slightly different as we live overseas so don't have many Christmases at home anyway.

AllTheLightWeCannotSee Sat 17-Dec-16 19:52:23

I think it's quite common for younger couples to do that. Children change things!

FizzBombBathTime Sat 17-Dec-16 19:53:26

I couldn't do it..!

Each to their own I guess

oddballs

wink

TheNaze73 Sat 17-Dec-16 19:54:06

What seems odd to some, seems perfectly normal to others.

Wouldn't bother me

ShowMePotatoSalad Sat 17-Dec-16 19:54:24

Aww, I think that's really cute!

BowiesJumper Sat 17-Dec-16 19:55:40

We dos this for years (13 to be exact). Only spent it together when we got married. I wanted to spend it with my family, as did he, and he worked Christmas Eve and Boxing Day so would have been a real faff travel wise.

DarkestBeforeDawn Sat 17-Dec-16 19:57:46

I don't find it weird. DP and I have been together for 12 years and until we started having DC four years ago, we spent every Christmas apart. DP from another country and so didn't see his family often and I absolutely love Christmas with my family so we were happy with the set up. Now that we have DC4 we spend it together with my family as we can't afford the flights for 6 people.

Thurlow Sat 17-Dec-16 19:58:17

We did this for a good 10 years until DD came along. We didn't live that near our families and knew we'd have all the crap of juggling once kids came along so we couldn't be bothered to do it then as well.

I will happily admit we're hardly the most romantic or sentimental couple though.

Violetcharlotte Sat 17-Dec-16 19:59:45

No. if it works for them then that's fine. Actually quite sensible I think.

Lelloteddy Sat 17-Dec-16 20:08:23

I wouldn't judge. Both of them may be under extreme pressure from respective parents to be 'home' for Christmas.

Fruitcocktail6 Sat 17-Dec-16 20:16:33

It's what we're going to do but we have no DC. We'll do our own presents together in the morning and have breakfast then I'll go to my parents and he'll go to his. I love my parents at Christmas time, plus my niece and nephew will be there and it's their first Christmas. I have no desire to go to DPs parents and sit in their cramped kitchen full of fag smoke.

AndNowItsSeven Sat 17-Dec-16 20:19:08

Yes it's very odd. Time to grow up and cut the apron strings.

HaveNoSocks Sat 17-Dec-16 20:26:35

I know a married couple in their 30s who own their own home and still both go back to their separate parents' for christmas dinner. I think they just can't be bothered to sort out alternate years and co-ordinate with extended family etc. They just have a nice christmas meal together at some other time.

ALittleMop Sat 17-Dec-16 20:28:07

I think its quite mature and unselfish of them.

And probably saves a load of grief in one form or the other.

All the couples I know that did this ended up splitting up or divorcing.

ThePinkOcelot Sat 17-Dec-16 20:35:27

When we first moved in together we did this. Not for a few days though, just Xmas dinner. Then we would come home at tea time and snuggle up watching telly and nibbles. I loved it. So, not weird to me.

lastqueenofscotland Sat 17-Dec-16 20:35:37

Me and DP do this. Works for us! We are in 20s with no DC though

hazelnutlatte Sat 17-Dec-16 20:36:44

My bil and his girlfriend have been together 15 years and have yet to spend a Christmas together. I'm really not sure why as neither family put pressure on them and her family don't even really celebrate Christmas.

Autumnchill Sat 17-Dec-16 20:37:27

My friends niece does this as MIL has made it clear that she is not good enough for her Son and refuses to talk to her so she goes home to her Mum and has a much better time!

Bobtheblob Sat 17-Dec-16 20:38:05

I know of a couple in their late thirties who do this and have done as long as they have been together! Met at uni and have libedtogether since, so coming up to 20 years. Never married, no dc and perfectly happy together. They just happen to both live a long way in opposite directions from their families and doing it this was makes them all happy.

BraveDancing Sat 17-Dec-16 20:39:15

My father and stepmother do this. She circles round her kids and grandkids and he does the same. They seem happy enough.

SantasJockstrap Sat 17-Dec-16 20:39:58

Its rather sad that a couple do not get to spend time together at xmas as they are pulled in different directions by families

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now