Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To wonder how Apple have run out of Macs

(21 Posts)
notlongtilspring Sat 17-Dec-16 18:00:41

Student DS has been saving madly for the swanky new MacBook. DH and I have agreed to contribute the final amount as his Christmas present.

All excited he went to order it today to be told they've run out and won't have any in stock until 11th January.
He needs to buy from Apple as it gives the best student discount.

AIBU to think they're missing a trick?

BumWad Sat 17-Dec-16 18:01:37

Not really because your sons still going to want a MacBook.

edwinbear Sat 17-Dec-16 18:02:03

Presumably the student equivalent of Hatchimals.

Artandco Sat 17-Dec-16 18:03:49

No, this is how they are successful. They make enough without waste and them sitting around. However you could get from another store or online. You can order now and get delivered once in at local store

mintthins Sat 17-Dec-16 18:05:00

They always do this with their new products. Every single time. It is just part of their marketing.

TeenageCentaurMortificado Sat 17-Dec-16 18:05:04

Try online with Costco. They've been doing Apple deals all month

BumWad Sat 17-Dec-16 18:09:49

Yes they do always do this.

I just got my Apple product (watch) from Currys.

PNGirl Sat 17-Dec-16 18:10:21

They do it on purpose, hence the queues of suckers outside each store on New iPhone Day.

notlongtilspring Sat 17-Dec-16 18:32:22

Thanks all.
I presumed there would be plenty of stock for a new product, the hype was enormous.
Currys have them in stock but obviously he won't get student discount. Looks like it'll be January when he's back at Uni.

SloeGinandTonic Sat 17-Dec-16 19:09:28

John Lewis have loads in stock. 3 year guarantee on them from JL and you can add 3 years accidental damage for £70 if you want . You can also get cash back through some websites. Better than the apple 1 year

How much is the apple student discount? Is it worth it?

Dozer Sat 17-Dec-16 19:10:53

Students don't need the very latest model!

Artandco Sat 17-Dec-16 19:15:09

THE apple student discount is high and includes free repairs so def buy from apple, just wait two weeks

ShowMePotatoSalad Sat 17-Dec-16 19:15:17

Can you get it from another Apple store or have it sent there? Or buy online from Apple?

EngTech Sat 17-Dec-16 19:17:21

All part of the Apple hype though

Reality16 Sat 17-Dec-16 19:18:35

Students don't need the very latest model! arguably no one does. But come on, there is NOTHING wrong with choosing the best or newest model hmm

ALemonyPea Sat 17-Dec-16 19:19:20

Did you go to an Apple Store or just online? A store might have them in.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 17-Dec-16 19:19:32

Apple have them in stock - I ordered one around lunchtime. Not for me, unfortunately! Get him to keep checking; unless he's after a particularly unpopular spec.

cardibach Sat 17-Dec-16 19:25:36

11th Jan is very early for a Uni to go back. Are you sure he'll have started? I know it's disappointing not to have it for Christmas Day, but it's only a couple of weeks.

Heratnumber7 Sat 17-Dec-16 19:31:18

Have you checked that nowhere else sells it cheaper than "Apple+student discount"?

notlongtilspring Sat 17-Dec-16 19:39:23

He's checked all the Apple Stores within a 50m radius and done online chat.
It's a specific model which apparently is crucial for his degree that he wants.
It's just disappointing because he's been saving so long.
Definitely back for exams on 9th Jan.

Not the end of the world, just irritating.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 17-Dec-16 19:47:22

Ahh okay; we ordered for delivery rather than stores. Bless him. It'll be just as amazing when he gets it but I can understand his impatience!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now