Talk

Advanced search

to retrospectively find it peculiar

(11 Posts)
alliwantforchristmasisfood Sat 17-Dec-16 17:45:51

That I had to spend Christmas alone whilst my surviving parent spent it with his partner? It was a while ago and all that but I don't have great memories of Christmas and I think this is a key reason why!

ShowMePotatoSalad Sat 17-Dec-16 17:47:23

How old were you when this happened? flowers

alliwantforchristmasisfood Sat 17-Dec-16 17:49:02

Hmm, the first one I was 17.

ShowMePotatoSalad Sat 17-Dec-16 17:50:26

I'm sorry to hear you were alone. It is very odd indeed. Did he leave you alone in the house or did he leave you with other relatives? He shouldn't have done it.

I'm not sure that helps you, but you're not wrong to think it's peculiar. It's more than peculiar.

alliwantforchristmasisfood Sat 17-Dec-16 17:53:55

The first two I was alone in the house. After that I was bumbling around university accommodation but one year it was all shut and I literally had nowhere to go! Then I got my own place.

ScarlettDarling Sat 17-Dec-16 18:00:44

Yep, it's very peculiar and really rather sad. Hope you have someone lovely to spend Christmas with now? Do you still see your dad? Might be worth discussing it with him and trying to move on.

alliwantforchristmasisfood Sat 17-Dec-16 18:06:17

He's dead now

harderandharder2breathe Sat 17-Dec-16 18:07:56

It is peculiar that you had to, with no invite to go with him to his new partners, especially when you were so young! My parents are divorced with new partners and I've spent various christmasses with both of them, with their new partners.

Do you have a good relationship with your dad generally? Can you talk to him about this.

harderandharder2breathe Sat 17-Dec-16 18:08:14

Cross posted, I'm so sorry flowers

HaveNoSocks Sat 17-Dec-16 18:14:38

Errr yes that's so mean. If I invite someone to mine for xmas I would always extend the invite to even their adult children. As a parent I would never leave one of my children alone on xmas day, even as adults but especially still a teenager! What did you do on the day?

alliwantforchristmasisfood Sat 17-Dec-16 18:16:18

Nothing much really! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now