Talk

Advanced search

Aibu not to give up my raffle win

(67 Posts)
MammyNeedsASpaDay Sat 17-Dec-16 16:57:36

I won a good prize at a raffle. Fancy tickets for a football match between premiership teams with meal and drinks included.

I don't have much interest in football, but I quite fancied going, or even if I sold the tickets I feel that's my choice as I won them.

People keep saying it's wasted on me and I don't deserve to have won.

Am I being unreasonable thinking a) it's a bit harsh and b) it's up to me what I do with them?

Scooby20 Sat 17-Dec-16 16:58:48

Yanbu. It's sour grapes

ColdAsIceCubes Sat 17-Dec-16 16:59:59

Nope, YANBU! You won fair and square and is totally up to you what you do with them. Enjoy!

TheWitTank Sat 17-Dec-16 17:00:37

YANBU. Your prize, you decide what to do with it. It's a fucking raffle, you deserve to win equally to everyone else who purchased a ticket. Knobs.

Tarla Sat 17-Dec-16 17:01:24

YANBU, I don't have much interest in football either and I'd still use a raffle prize like that. Are they always such sore lovers?

Tarla Sat 17-Dec-16 17:01:47

*losers

OurBlanche Sat 17-Dec-16 17:02:55

Just shout "Fuck off and take your jealousy with you!"

The only thing you say to someone who wins a good raffle is "You jammy bastard. Enjoy every moment of it"

So, do just that... smile

MissingPanda Sat 17-Dec-16 17:04:25

YANBU You have as much right to win them as anyone else.

bloodyteenagers Sat 17-Dec-16 17:06:11

I will be blunt.
Why the fuck don't I deserve to win. I bought tickets, ergo I deserved to win. Just like anyone who could have won the raffle. Whats so hard to understand? Or is it purely because I don't possess a pair of bollocks? Get the fuck over it. I am going, you aint.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Sat 17-Dec-16 17:17:18

Who expects you to give up the raffle tickets, OP? Has someone said this to you?

Brewdolf Sat 17-Dec-16 17:19:21

Tell them to sod off.
You win a raffle, you get the prize. Its not an award for most deserving human being.

glitterandtinsel Sat 17-Dec-16 17:21:50

How rude of people to comment. Why should you give it up? You won it!

happychristmasbum Sat 17-Dec-16 17:22:47

What "people?"

Bluesrunthegame Sat 17-Dec-16 17:24:05

Go and watch your match! I have no interest in football but once went to a professional game just to have the experience. It was fun, I'm glad I went. So you won, you get to have some nice food and drinks and watch a football match, the losers should just keep quiet.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sat 17-Dec-16 17:24:24

YANBU at all.

You bought a raffle ticket like everyone else and were lucky enough to win the prize. What you want to do with that prize is entirely up to you!

It would only be a shame and "wasted on you" if you let the tickets go completely unused. I'm not a football fan either, but would be tempted to go just for the meal & drinks grin.

youarenotkiddingme Sat 17-Dec-16 17:27:13

You won. Your prize.

I also have zero interest in football but would go for the experience - free food and drinks with option of leaving anytime I choose if it's not for me!

Allalonenow Sat 17-Dec-16 17:27:26

Raffles are chance ~ there are no "deserving" winners! fgrin

ALittleMop Sat 17-Dec-16 17:29:51

Of course you deserve to have won. You bought a ticket and it got picked. That's how raffles work. They are being a. thick b. jealous c. both

DeepanKrispanEven Sat 17-Dec-16 17:29:53

What a bizarre idea. If the prize was going to be wasted on you, you wouldn't have bought a ticket.

If they're that desperate to go, they should offer to buy the prize off you.

Janey50 Sat 17-Dec-16 17:30:23

You don't DESERVE it?! Excuse me,but when has 'deserving' something had anything to do with winning a prize that,for whatever reason,may not be to your taste?! Sour grapes. And tell them to bugger off shut up.

Lelloteddy Sat 17-Dec-16 17:32:26

People really say this stuff? You are unfortunate to know so many rude people.

Butterymuffin Sat 17-Dec-16 17:32:31

There's no 'deserving' a raffle prize. It's not the Olympics or a spelling bee! Your ticket, your prize. And yes, as Deep said, they could offer to buy it from you. Going on like this suggests they want you to just give the prize to them. Don't get dragged in.

FlappysMammyAndPopeInExile Sat 17-Dec-16 17:33:40

Your prize, your decision!

CotswoldStrife Sat 17-Dec-16 17:38:19

Yay, congratulations! Enjoy your day out, it's yours!

WindyCat Sat 17-Dec-16 17:38:58

I'm a Fanatical Msnchester United supporter, go to as many games as I can, not a season ticket holder due to the cost, but probably 6 home games a season, have the MUTV channel etc, but a few years ago I entered a nation paper competition for a money can't buy prize to do with a different club (London club that both my brothers support). It really was the most amazing prize, including foreign travel and lots more. I won and took my husband. It wasn't his club either but we both love football, hadn't had a holiday in 5 years, and had a brilliant time. One of my brothers hadn't spoken to me since. He didn't want me to take him, he thought I'd give it to him and his wife, and it hadn't even occurred to me. When I saw the competition I sent details to him, but never had a reply so I don't know if he entered, but I did, and I won, so tough shit.

I got both brothers signed programmes, but still have his as I haven't seen him. He won't go to my mums if I'm there etc.

Go and enjoy it. They're horrible, ignore them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now