Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

MIL treads cat shit over bathroom and leaves it

(134 Posts)
Chemistria Sat 17-Dec-16 14:19:31

Ok so me and OH are having our kitchen done. We have cats. Cats at the moment live in the garage / go outside as we don't have a tray in the house.

long story short, one of the cats accidentally got left in the house last night. It went for a runny stinking shit in the bathroom, MIL stepped in it this early this morning, and after a lot of crashing around in there (washing her feet) she went back to bed and left the poo all over the floor.

As she'd woken DS up with the noise, and then me, I went to settle him and then noticed the awful stench coming from the bathroom and found it to be trodden in.

I went straight to her room and said that I think she might have trodden in cat shit. She was back in bed trying to go to sleep. She said "yes I did, it's disgusting"

I then spent the next 15 mins bleaching / disinfecting the floor with boiling water and everything else I could find.

Since then I've been called "getting on my high horse" for telling her she should have woken me or OH up immediately to clean it up. Also been called a brat for saying this.

I wasn't expecting her to clean it up but should she have at least told us?

OH now angry at me for causing an atmosphere, when to be frank I was disgusted by MIL attitude this morning.

Maybe I have overreacted but I'm 9 months pregnant and think that to save it being there any longer than necessary, she should've just bloody told us straight away.

LindyHemming Sat 17-Dec-16 14:20:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

myyoyo Sat 17-Dec-16 14:22:32

She called you a brat! shock
Why is she staying with you at the moment?
And why didn't your dh get up to help you clean up?

Yoarchie Sat 17-Dec-16 14:24:19

I do feel a bit sorry for your MIL visiting the bathroom in the morning in bare feet and stepping in filthy cat shit. If I was her, I would have gone home.

MegaClutterSlut Sat 17-Dec-16 14:24:20

I think she should've said something tbh and it should be your OH dealing with the catshit if your pregnant

Chemistria Sat 17-Dec-16 14:24:23

lol I do generally , not today though

guffaux Sat 17-Dec-16 14:25:35

rotton of her not to clean it up as soon as she discovered it, in my opinion, and i thought pregnant women were supposed to avoid any contact with cat faeces, flowers for you to replace the awful stench

avengerhart85 Sat 17-Dec-16 14:28:11

Why wouldn't she just clean it up herself especially since you are pregnant?! I also thought pregnancy meant avoiding cat poo because of toxoplasmosis (sp?!) or at least have woken up ur DH to do it?!

Chemistria Sat 17-Dec-16 14:30:47

I wouldn't have expected OH to clean it (or MiL) for various reasons. I just thought she should have told us.
Most people who have had cats for years should be resistant to toxo the vets have said, and I always use gloves etc and wash my hands in disinfectant just as a precaution.
She's staying with us because she lives far away and has come to see us for Christmas.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 17-Dec-16 14:32:15

Should've rubbed her nose in it.

Jaynesworld Sat 17-Dec-16 14:35:35

YNBU what a dirty bitch leaving the cat shit. She should have cleaned it up or told you.

bluebeck Sat 17-Dec-16 14:37:10

I don't think I would have risked waking you if it was very early just to say the cat had done a poop.

She was probably half asleep and wanted to get back to bed.

I think you are overreacting a bit, but as you are about to give birth you are allowed fsmile

Cocolepew Sat 17-Dec-16 14:40:18

She should have cleaned it up confused

Chemistria Sat 17-Dec-16 14:40:23

Thanks for the replies. Never done an AIBU post but just upset. It was OH that called me a brat for saying to MiL that she should've told us about it.

Bluebeck yeah I didn't see it from that POV, just glad DS has a child gate on his door so he couldn't have walked into it.

Thanks all.

bibbitybobbityyhat Sat 17-Dec-16 14:42:34

Is it warm enough in the garage for your cats?

And your mil is staying while you're 9 months pregnant and got no kitchen?

Are you actually mad?

Chemistria Sat 17-Dec-16 14:44:44

Yeah garage (I just call it that but it's a big outroom) is insulated and rads etc.

She wanted to come down now but has been saying for weeks she hopes the kitchen will be done by now. We have nothing at the moment apart from a kettle and microwave so I wouldn't say we were mad, maybe her lol. Hopefully it'll get finished before my baby arrives ... !

baconandeggies Sat 17-Dec-16 14:45:22

YANBU. Unfair of MIL to not either tell you or clean it up. Unacceptable to be called a brat by your DP. Poor kitty too.

SmallBee Sat 17-Dec-16 14:47:27

How disgusting, what sort of filthy person doesn't clean up cat shit after stepping in it? Especially in a house with a baby and pregnant women. She's gross.

1horatio Sat 17-Dec-16 14:49:52

She sounds like a bitch.

And your OH? Well, he deserves to sleep on the couch. Calling you a brat?!

FrancisCrawford Sat 17-Dec-16 14:49:53

She's already here for a Christmas visit?

Ye gods and little fishes.

Sounds like she was making a point by making all that noise and when you didn't rush to see what the problem was, she retired back to bed. Not very nice behaviour.

Klaphat Sat 17-Dec-16 14:49:56

I wouldn't have expected OH to clean it (or MiL) for various reasons.

What are the reasons you wouldn't have expected your OH to clean it? Are they in any way related to him thinking it is acceptable to call you a brat?

1horatio Sat 17-Dec-16 14:51:38

Does your OH generally respect you? Back you up Or...?

Because if he doesn't respect you... well, she'll probably feel much more comfortable with being a b**

kali110 Sat 17-Dec-16 14:52:29

Agree with bluebeck though not sure she should have left it.
Not sure what she should have done really!
Sure the op will be fine cleaning the poo, the risk of tox is relatively low , especially considering she's had a cat a while.(may well have already had it)
As long as she wears gloves and washes her hands after.

blondieminx Sat 17-Dec-16 14:52:54

You are 9 months pregnant, having building works dne and juggling a toddler as well.

Your MIL would naturally have been horrified to step in cat poo but she was BU not to help out and clean it up. To leave it there, so that your toddler or any other family members could have accidentally trodden in it also, was absolutely disgusting.

To be called a brat for expecting to be told so it could be dealt with or expecting her to be helpful is outrageous.

I hope the building work is sorted out soon.

Bauble16 Sat 17-Dec-16 14:59:20

What a dirty tramp. You can't just leave cat poo around especially with children and a pregnant lady!

Your DH sounds like he would rather upset you then her tbh, I'd be seething. I wouldn't expect her to clean it up but I would expect her to be responsible for letting others know to avoid it. Really she should have told your DH who should have sorted it. Bother are bashing you with the whole situation rather then confronting each other

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now