Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to ask what the worst home you've been in is?

(344 Posts)
custardy Sat 17-Dec-16 04:30:44

Currently my place is a bit messy, I'm mid sort out and I'm just nosey, let's face it...

Manumission Sat 17-Dec-16 04:35:11

It was a comfyish 4 bed semi in MC suburbia with books and pot plants and squishy sofas. Clean and mostly tidy.

But the mother was brittle and somehow fake and the DC were subdued and edgy and actually hardly spoke. Horrible creepy atmosphere. I was glad to get out of there. I feel horrible just thinking about it.

Forget the mess smile

treaclesoda Sat 17-Dec-16 04:37:02

I've been in the home of a hoarder. A proper hoarder. A hoarder of 'stuff' and of animals. The smell hits you as soon as you open the door. You have to watch where you stand as you could be standing on broken glass or dog poo.. The dishes are piled in the kitchen with mould growing on them. The walls are mouldy through lack of ventilation. It's horrific.

TheStoic Sat 17-Dec-16 04:45:13

Are you serious? You want people to describe the awful homes other people live in?

bloodyteenagers Sat 17-Dec-16 04:46:41

A really, really dirty place.
Trainers sticking to kitchen floor as you walked. Dirty dishes and rotten water in the sink. Putrid mop bucket, when it was knocked it stunk. Never smelt anything like it since. The mop head was black. Slimy dish cloth.
Front room washing up and rubbish all over the place. Carpet filthy. A potty that was full to the brim with dark piss and shit.
Not going to describe the bathroom.
Was supposed to have stayed there for a few days. Other people we were if attempted to clean up, think they did not sure I left.
Huge family fall out when I reported to social services. Aparantly I should have just accepted it and helped out as I should have been more understanding as we were both parents.

user1471451259 Sat 17-Dec-16 04:55:03

I have a good friend with a house like something on Kim and Aggie. Filthy with debris everywhere.

She's a married professional with kids. She is always well groomed, hair blow dried, full make up, lovely clothes. Her kids are immaculate in Next, White Company, that sort of thing. You'd never guess the state of her house. She knows it's bad, she just doesn't care enough to clean it.

Pluto30 Sat 17-Dec-16 05:03:35

My husband owns a retirement village, and one of his residents is a true hoarder.

They get packages delivered at the office every day without fail. Multiple packages. When she's not home, she asks them to put them in her hallway/entry. The house is absolutely stuffed to the brim with stuff that has never been opened, or has been opened but left in the bag it was bought in.

There's one armchair, with piles of books in front of it, blocking the view of the TV. There's no space to walk at all. There's just STUFF everywhere. No bench space in the kitchen, there's unopened packages of Coke etc. on the floor.

The bedroom is no better. The bed is not exempt from stuff, but the floor around it... well, there is no floor. There's just stuff.

I thought I'd seen "hoarding" before I saw her place, but no. This is true hoarding. Buying stuff for the sake of buying stuff, never using it, never removing it from the box/wrapping/package, having stuffed lined up along the hallway, on the floor and benches of the kitchen, all around the bedroom floor, stuff piled up in front of the TV, so on and so forth.

It's claustrophobic, and I don't "get" claustrophobia.

pklme Sat 17-Dec-16 07:01:52

I had a friend when I was about 8. Both parents doctors. Ants nest on kitchen worktop. If you needed a space on the table to play a game, put down a plate, the DM would use the side of her arm to slide everything across the table. It's still called 'doing a Mrs Jones' in my family. There was a wild creature living in one room which was no longer available to the family as a result.

MusterTheRohirim Sat 17-Dec-16 07:20:47

I have family who have a very neat tidy and clean home that they are obsessed with keeping that way, and I always feel very uncomfortable there. Think sitting on towels so the chairs don't get marked...

MusterTheRohirim Sat 17-Dec-16 07:21:57

That to me is worse than a bit of mess, I mean.

FormerlyFrikadela01 Sat 17-Dec-16 07:27:57

I work in mental health. I've seen some truly horrific houses. It is always sad and I wish there was more we could do to help people that get like this.

FuckingHellz Sat 17-Dec-16 07:32:03

Fucking hell, an ANTS NEST on the kitchen top shock

I've been in a house recently via work and the smell made me retch. I was trying to do it discretely so as not to offend the occupants, but the smell of bodily fluids and unwashed body was just vile. I've got to go visit them again next week and will be putting Vicks under my nostrils.

I think as the people are elderly and can't get outside they don't realise how bad the house smells, which I think is sad.

Freeurmind Sat 17-Dec-16 07:48:45

A little bit of mess and dirt doesn't bother me but when I was about 12 I went with my friend and her mum to visit someone and the house stank of piss throughout. Gut-wrenching piss.
It was sad as there was a very polite little girl there who wanted to play with us and I kept thinking doesn't she know her house stinks like piss.
That smell has stayed with me.

Bodicea Sat 17-Dec-16 07:49:03

I stayed at an old uni friend house for a night out/get together that was a four hour drive for me. The place was filthy, full of cat hair, crap everywhere, there were weird ornaments on every spare shelf ( think bad taste bears), i could barely see her floor in the room I stayed in for crap and I don't think she had washed the sheets for ages.
All of that I wouldn't have minded. I am not the tidiest person myself. But I do look after people if they come to stay. In the morning there was no offer of breakfast or even a cup of tea. I have to search for a clean glass to make myself a glass of water. I was so hungry as soon as I drove away I pulled out and hunted down a packet of biscuits in my glovebox.

Roussette Sat 17-Dec-16 07:51:49

This was a long long time ago but my goodness it is a house I've never forgotten... I was buying a flat, first of 4 to be converted in a victorian house. Below me were a family renting and the LL wanted them to move.. Mum, Dad, two kids who seemed happy enough, all good, sort of hippyish

However, there were birds flying around the huge lounge, pet birds they said but to me they looked like pigeons or similar, about 5 of them. They said they didn't like confining them.. there was bird shit everywhere, literally on the chairs, floor, sofa, windows... how I didn't retch I don't know.

Then the bathroom... there was literally shit up the walls, not sure why, the family were sweet but it was hard to chat to them because when the Mum opened the door the smell from inside just made me want to gag, although I didn't show it.

When they moved out, the LL had a bonfire in the garden of lots of the furniture. I got off the bus from work half a mile away and could smell this most revolting smell and it was the shit covered burning furniture.

FrancisCrawford Sat 17-Dec-16 07:52:31

A former friend is like this.
Hasn't thrown out any clothes for over 30 years. The kitchen is regularly overrun with mice because she leaves food out. And because it is so full of junk the only place to put mousetraps is on the work surfaces! Which means she encouraging mice onto her work surfaces... yuk.

She is very well groomed too and you would never guess her home is such a midden.

She is currently wanting to sell so has rented a storage unit to put all her stuff in. Because she isn't going to throw anything out. A single woman in her mid 50s in a one bedroom flat and she's looking for a bigger place so she has room for more junk.

Hassled Sat 17-Dec-16 07:58:43

The house of a friend I used to work with - it was just jaw-droppingly filthy. And the friend was absolutely lovely - clever, funny, kind. It wasn't laziness - she just didn't see mess or dirt, or if she did then she didn't care. It must have been how she was brought up, and I guess her DCs (who will be adults now) will probably live the same way.

Skittlesss Sat 17-Dec-16 08:00:31

I work for the Police so have been in many homes - all in different conditions. The worst was probably one where a drug user had sadly passed away. There was piles of rubbish, excrement and other bodily fluids, rotten food, needles and other paraphernalia. It smelled awful as they had been there a while. So sad as they'd not been missed by family/friends sad

BillSykesDog Sat 17-Dec-16 08:11:58

I had a friend whose parents were proper hoarders and had a house literally floor to ceiling old junk except their children's rooms.

His Mum was a lovely woman though. I was having a very hard time at home and she made me feel like a worthwhile person who was worth talking to and spending time with. She made me laugh and made me feel like a person in my own right who had a right to her own feelings and to be treated well. Both her sons have turned out lovely too. A clean house isn't everything.

FlappysMammyAndPopeInExile Sat 17-Dec-16 08:22:30

Trainers sticking to kitchen floor as you walked

That was what hit me about the home I went into.

A doubly incontinent lady living in one room with an equally incontinent alsatian pup (had just never been housetrained - she got him for company and loved him to bits). Poor old soul - she was so lovely. Was being forced into care (which she desperately needed) but didn't want to go because she was worried what was going to happen to her dog . . .

he was about 18months old, if I remember, and a huge dog. The chances re-homing were probably small.

FlappysMammyAndPopeInExile Sat 17-Dec-16 08:24:50

There was a wild creature living in one room

Just shock shock shock

MsJamieFraser Sat 17-Dec-16 08:25:33

I work in housing.. I've seen all sorts of homes. I'm not sure what you AIBU is tbh.

As with all walks of life, we all live differently.

Namechangergeneral Sat 17-Dec-16 08:27:16

I'm a social worker.
I have been in some absolutely awful places. The thing is though, is it is still someone's home. I have been a SW for a long time and I'm pretty hardened but there was one where I was nearly sick but had to hide it because I didn't want to be disrespectful and getting the client to trust and engage with me is so important.

That house was condemned, in the end.

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Sat 17-Dec-16 08:28:31

I've been in some realy dirty, smoky houses. The kind where the peeps living there carry the smell around with them like a snail.

But the scary clean, minimal places are worse. Cold. Unloved. Matching.

greenfolder Sat 17-Dec-16 08:29:45

Pretty mean thread. Lots of people have different standards and citcumstances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now