Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to start breastfeeding again?

(21 Posts)
LifeBeginsNow Fri 16-Dec-16 20:09:30

This is an AIBU to myself. I really would like to start breastfeeding again (mixed with some bottles) as I loved the bond we had. The problem comes in that I have had very bad SPD which was much worse after birth. I'm now nearly 6 months PP (no period yet) and stopped breastfeeding at 4 weeks.

I've still got milk (not sure how much but I guess some clusterfeed sessions would soon kickstart things) and I'm up during the night a lot anyway as the pain makes it difficult to be in bed for longer than 2 hours at a time.

The reason for stopping at 4 weeks was due to the medication I needed to take to manage the pain. Frustratingly, the painkillers didn't make any difference so I stopped a long time ago (just taking amiltryptaline 10mg and paracetomol now).

I've read a little about hormones and SPD and how breastfeeding may or may not be a contributing factor. I just don't know if I'm going to end up making myself worse or not. I'm slowly getting better and feel like taking the risk but not sure if IBU. Anyone had any experience of this?

quicklydecides Fri 16-Dec-16 20:12:41

I didn't know you could re start best feeding after such a gap.
Do you really think you still have milk?
No harm in trying i suppose.

Crunchymum Fri 16-Dec-16 20:16:40

I am sure there is plenty of advice on relactation on sites like Kellysmom.

It's been a long time though and I assume weaning has commenced?

Isadora2007 Fri 16-Dec-16 20:18:05

I think you will always wonder "what if"? So I would give it a go. Maybe check out Kellymom website or contact your local la leche league for some appropriate support.
Best of luck. You are definitely not BU!

belleandsnowwhite Fri 16-Dec-16 20:20:01

You could probably start producing more milk however the hardest part would be getting a 6m old baby to latch and want to bf feed.

HerdofAntilop Fri 16-Dec-16 20:20:37

There's no reason why you can't try. I was precribed domperidone to help with supply when I relactated but there are other methods too. Latch could be an issue, you may want to try build shields to begin with. Useful info here kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/relactation/

Have you had physio for the SPD. If you've not seen it already the pelvic partnership has a useful website.

www.pelvicpartnership.org.uk/

baconandeggies Fri 16-Dec-16 20:21:37

Pumping pumping pump pump pump... Domperidone might be available to you... Get in touch with your local breastfeeding supporters - they'll be fascinated and do their utmost to help you. Have you offered the boob to your baby to see if they'll latch on? Might be a challenge as the way they suckle is completely different...

homeaway Fri 16-Dec-16 20:22:32

You can ,but I don't know the best way to go about it. I remember reading that people who adopted were able to feed. Maybe contact your local leache league support group as they might be able to help you

LifeBeginsNow Fri 16-Dec-16 20:24:04

It is possible from what I've read it's just when I told my husband what I was hoping to do, he looked very panicked. After seeing the pain I've been in, I don't think he wants me to risk it.

I'll look at the blogs. I think I read some while I was pregnant and quite liked her approach.

LifeBeginsNow Fri 16-Dec-16 20:30:22

Yes to lots of physio. Both during and after. I've now been signed off and it's just a waiting game until I'm fully better. I've been told to start exercise classes but I'm a little nervous of the jumping around.

The pelvic partnership pages have been fantastic. I recommend them to any pregnant women when they complain about pain.

I've just started my baby on purée to get used to the texture. When I stopped breastfeeding at 4 weeks it was literally one last feed and then straight on the bottle with no weaning (very sore breasts as a result). He took to the bottle immediately and I like to think he'd manage if we did breastfeed again.

I'm going to drop some thank you chocs in to my health visitor Monday (she has been amazing during these difficult months) so I'll ask her to put me in touch with the lactation consultant.

PollytheDolly Fri 16-Dec-16 20:32:39

Give it a go smile

Rixera Fri 16-Dec-16 20:41:00

To pp, I still had milk for a year pp despite finishing bf at 14wks. Thought it would never bloody end.
If it would make you feel closer to your baby, give it a go. The worst that will happen is you stop again.

LifeBeginsNow Fri 16-Dec-16 20:54:06

Maybe I'm overthinking it. I'm going to try. Want him to wake up now so I can have a go! grin

JustDontGetIt Fri 16-Dec-16 21:08:52

Please try it I wish I had. It's entirely possible.

millymollymandy82 Fri 16-Dec-16 21:09:55

Let us know how you get on. I think getting baby to latch on will be the biggest obstacle. Stimulating milk is the easy part. I had to stop feeding at 9 months because my LO just refused to latch on and when they refuse there's not much you can do about it.

LifeBeginsNow Fri 16-Dec-16 21:14:26

I will let you know. I keep checking the monitor and he's moving around a little but not waking up.

missm0use Fri 16-Dec-16 21:15:48

Not unreasonable at all!!! I think it's a lovely idea to want to restart breastfeeding. It's very manageable with lots of support! There's a breastfeeding support group I use on Faceache that have been fantastic in helping me when I decided to restart breastfeeding but I only stopped for few days! Xxsmile

dottycat123 Fri 16-Dec-16 21:17:20

Have you checked you can bf on amitryptyline?

ShowMePotatoSalad Fri 16-Dec-16 21:21:53

I'm still breastfeeding 13 month old DS. I would say that from about 4 months onwards, I stopped having any pain and my hormones seemed to settle down a lot. I got my period at about 6 months. My supply is so steady now...obviously hormones are still involved but my body has adjusted (science, everyone, science).

I would definitely give it a go and see how you get on. Your pain might not get worse at all, or it might get worse at first and then settle down. Let us know how you get on. smile

Blink1982 Fri 16-Dec-16 21:26:47

I hope it works... he may just look at you as if to say why you waving that nip in my face? 😂

QueenLizIII Fri 16-Dec-16 21:33:37

Rent a hospital grade pump. See what happens? Go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now