Talk

Advanced search

Teachers smoking e-cigarettes at school?! Is this ok?

(16 Posts)
FireAndStrife Fri 16-Dec-16 19:53:09

Been working in education for a LONG time so I've no other workplaces to compare this to!

Teachers and admin staff smoke e cigarettes during the school day!

Smoking does not happen in the classroom but in the staff room (children in and out all the time so definitely see it) and in the administration offices where all 4 of the team are e smokers!

I have mentioned on several times that I don't think this is the type of thing we should be supporting as a school and it sends a bad impression. It gets met with the inevitable there's no harm in it!

AIBU? And a killjoy!!

ZuzaPa Fri 16-Dec-16 19:56:40

Absolutely not ok in a million years. Those things are full of chemicals & have not been around long enough for ppl to know what damage they cause. Then to normalise smoking around children is again a big fat no!!! They don't want to listen because it suits them.

chickenowner Fri 16-Dec-16 19:57:07

I've never heard of this happening in a school, and I don't think it should either!

ZuzaPa Fri 16-Dec-16 19:58:08

My child not school going age just yet but I would be FURIOUS if she was exposed to this.

Manupprincess Fri 16-Dec-16 19:58:08

Absolutely not. It normalises ecigs in a way that smoking used to be normalised. Lots of cafés ect ban them in the same way they do cigarettes so school absolutely should do the same. Welsh Government were I think at one point considering banning smoking in public places but not sure if that is still happening.

NotStoppedAllDay Fri 16-Dec-16 19:58:21

I feel sorry for teachers... no child free place for them to take their breaks? Staffrooms have children coming and going through them?

Boundaries Fri 16-Dec-16 19:59:17

Surprised it's allowed.

Although when I was at school there would be clouds of smoke in the staff room and the staff would go to the pub during Friday lunchtime grin

MrsExpo Fri 16-Dec-16 19:59:34

YANBU!! That's disgraceful. Put in a written complaint and see if you can get other parents to do the same. I'm quite shocked tbh .....

Lizzylou Fri 16-Dec-16 20:00:20

E-Cigs are banned by our Council.
No smoking (E or otherwise!) on any part of school grounds, not even carpark.

TalkingofMichaelAngel0 Fri 16-Dec-16 20:02:50

The staffroom will have confidential information about pupils careplans etc. Students should not be freely coming in and out of it.

Who have you mentioned it to? The head? Governors? Random parent on the yard?

KatsutheChristmasOctopus Fri 16-Dec-16 20:03:15

I work in a school and this would not be allowed there.

piglover Fri 16-Dec-16 20:06:37

It wasn't so long ago that staff rooms were full of smokers. It's good that this is no longer the case. But teaching is a stressful profession and nicotine does help with stress. I think some of these reactions are OTT. Really I'm more shocked that children are in and out of the staffroom all day. It was sacrosanct back in the day!

TeenAndTween Fri 16-Dec-16 20:07:46

Absolutely not OK as far as I am concerned.

Briarthorn Fri 16-Dec-16 20:13:25

Full of chemicals? Well I suppose food is full of chemicals too. ECigs contain four, and one is water iirc.

That said, I wouldn't vape openly in any place of work, I'd stealth and blow the steam down my top or into my bag if I absolutely couldn't get outside. And this does happen <harsh memories of going without a cigarette on playground duty day>

Backingvocals Fri 16-Dec-16 20:13:35

No not ok. But then I may be a bit precious - a man was leaning up against DCs' school having a fag this morning and I felt a frisson of huffiness - then I got a grip grin.

But no to e-cigs inside and def not in a school.

TheRealKimmySchmidt63 Fri 16-Dec-16 20:35:29

smile@ briar - images of you secretly trying to exhale into your bag or down too made me giggle

Agree with pp children should not be in and out of staff room- if majority of staff smoke head could designate a room or part of for vaping would save time staff having to leave the building to do so

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now