Talk

Advanced search

How much trouble is it to put an apron on?! AIBU

(29 Posts)
OnePlusBun Fri 16-Dec-16 18:08:51

AIBU to get annoyed every time DD comes home from nursery with clothes covered in paint? Not annoyed at DD. At the staff.
I've jokingly said a couple of times "didn't you wear an apron when you did your painting?" and the staff say Oh they do wear aprons. I know they don't because they take pictures for the parent portal and I've only ever seen DD in an apron once!
Her nursery clothes are only cheap - primark, supermarket, etc but several times the first time she has worn a tshirt it has been ruined because it's covered in paint that won't wash out (on a 60 wash with stain remover)
Should I ask them to put an apron on (not in a jokingly manner) or just face facts that nursery clothes get messy and just send her in wearing the paint stained clothes?

BackforGood Fri 16-Dec-16 18:12:36

The aprons will often have paint on, from when the previous child was painting in them - tbh they can remain just as clean without

RedHelenB Fri 16-Dec-16 18:13:13

Believe me - nursery kids put aprons on and still get paint all over their clothes! And yes, send her in old clothes.

WheresTheEvidence Fri 16-Dec-16 18:13:49

How old is she? School nursery or day nursery?

CMOTDibbler Fri 16-Dec-16 18:15:39

Don't wash the paint stained stuff on hot - it needs a cold wash to get the paint out.

And yy to the paint splattering abilities of small children

00100001 Fri 16-Dec-16 18:16:29

wait these parent portal photos - is she actually painting with no apron on every time except one?

how many pictures of your child painting do they post?? confused

Cakeycakecake Fri 16-Dec-16 18:17:23

Some nurseries operate on the policy that they won't force a child to wear an apron because often that child will walk away from the activity so it interrupts learning.
Send her in in stuff that you would send her to play in the garden or clothes you don't mind getting messy. My ds is always coming home mucky, I don't mind. It's a visual example of how much fun he's had and I don't have to ask what he's done that day

SausageD0g Fri 16-Dec-16 18:17:56

They get messy. Better they get messy and actualky get to paint, do messy play etc than stay pristine but get anxious about mess!!

DearMrDilkington Fri 16-Dec-16 18:18:54

Why can't she wear clothes with paint stains on to nursery?

justwanttoweeinpeace Fri 16-Dec-16 18:18:59

It's nursery, if it's not paint it's food or mud or worse.

Small children should be a mess at the end of the day, I'd be far more concerned if they stayed pristine.

littleducks Fri 16-Dec-16 18:24:39

Nursery clothes should get messy.

Try washing in a cool wash as suggested. If that doesn't work speak to nursery and perhaps they could change paint.

I just chuck paint stained clothes in normal wash with powder no stain remover and it all comes out.

Questioningeverything Fri 16-Dec-16 18:30:06

With powder paint always chuck some washing up liquid in. Helps with stain prevention smile

OnePlusBun Sat 17-Dec-16 09:15:26

She's 2 1/2 at day nursery
I don't mind her getting messy as I do know for a child that equates to a fab day, I was just interested to see if apron wearing just doesn't happen these days (I remember the days of wearing a huge man's shirt backwards to do painting at school!)
I guess I need to uncleanch and just send her in wearing already stained clothes. I will try the cooler wash though. Thanks.

YelloDraw Sat 17-Dec-16 10:42:25

Does it matter if the clothes get paint splattered? Just send her back in with clean but paint stained clothes.

user1477282676 Sat 17-Dec-16 11:31:23

I don't like sending Dc out in stained clothes. There's just no need. But on Mumsnet you're always unreasonable for wanting your children to at least start the day clean and tidy.

OP why don't you say something? The staff should make some effort.

Scholes34 Sat 17-Dec-16 11:35:11

A t-shirt can still be clean, even if it has a paint stain on it.

user1477282676 Sat 17-Dec-16 12:04:53

Scholes yes but OP's not talking about one stain. And even then why should she have ANY stains?

YelloDraw Sat 17-Dec-16 12:09:59

I don't like sending Dc out in stained clothes. There's just no need

I don't really see paint splattered clothes as 'stained' for small children. Children get stuff on their clothes. It sometimes comes out it sometimes doesn't. To avoid throwing away said clothes, you can send them to messy places in said stained clothes.

viques Sat 17-Dec-16 12:21:07

How much trouble is it to put an apron on?

Spot child or children about to paint.
Roll up sleeves of child's t shirt /take off child's sweat shirt
Find apron that has not already been covered in paint.
Find another apron because child does not like yellow aprons.
Find another apron because child wants same colour as Josh.
Insert child/ children into apron/s
Do up Velcro tags if they are still there.
Roll up apron sleeves if too long.
Pick up discarded aprons
remind child /children to wash hands.
Find child's jumper sweatshirt and return to correct child.
Remember to write child's /children's name on masterpiece.

Simultaneously scan room to ensure that while you are with the painters the other children are not cutting each other's hair, wiping glue on clothes, looking upset, are sitting to eat snacks, needing help to put coats on, back from toilet...........

Rinse and repeat.

namechange102 Sat 17-Dec-16 12:29:57

grin ^^ and that's why I could never work with small children!

DesolateWaist Sat 17-Dec-16 13:49:03

It's easy viques. This of course includes someone then announcing that they have had a poo in their pants which you will then need to clean up.

Catlady1976 Sat 17-Dec-16 14:05:36

My youngest was an apron refused. I don't think I could stress about this.

Scholes34 Sun 18-Dec-16 08:42:48

If you don't want paint stains on your children's clothes, tell them to stop doing any painting when they're at nursery. If they can't resist the painting, you just need five tops for nursery that you don't mind having paint on - hand-me-downs, charity shops, Primark. Nursery isn't a fashion show No-one (sensible) will judge you for paint splattered clothes.

GoofyTheHero Sun 18-Dec-16 08:44:39

Mine wears an apron at pre school and still comes home covered in paint.
I just send her in the paint covered clothes! I keep certain clothes especially for pre school.

SuburbanRhonda Sun 18-Dec-16 08:47:15

I remember the days of wearing a huge man's shirt backwards to do painting at school!

But that was at school, not nursery, where not only did you need to protect expensive school uniform from paint, but you took more responsibility because you were, you know, older.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now