Talk

Advanced search

Anyone been referred to tokophobia clinic?

(13 Posts)
IndieBamBindi Fri 16-Dec-16 18:06:45

Hi.
I've been referred to the clinic by midwife, which I can go to once I've seen a consultant.
Anyone have any experience of this?
Did it help?
Did you go on to have natural birth or was you offered a c section?
Thanks in advance.
Anxiety is through the roof right now.
Talking would really help.

SianiMoomin Fri 16-Dec-16 18:53:00

I wasn't offered anything at all with my first birth as I wasn't diagnosed or referred until 37 weeks.

I won't go into detail but I did end up with an emergency c section. With my second birth I was offered a c section straight away with no fuss and it was fabulous.

IndieBamBindi Sat 17-Dec-16 10:31:25

Had my booking in appointment yesterday ( 10 weeks ) and midwife has booked me a consultant appointment for 16 weeks and has wrote in notes to discuss issues and refer me to the tokophobia clinic to attend.
She was lovely and understanding
Would love to know what happens next really

baconandeggies Sat 17-Dec-16 10:54:02

My friend went to one and was recommended hypnobirthing online or she could opt for a caesarean if after that and some weeks she still felt frightened. She had a natural birth in the end.

IndieBamBindi Sat 17-Dec-16 14:10:22

bacon thankyou you have given me my first glimmer of hope!
This is my third and I never had this before, it has come about after the second birth.
It's taken over my life.
Would you say your friend didn't really have to 'fight' for her c section?
All I keep hearing is that getting consultant to agree is like getting blood from a stone and that you have to keep seeing different ones till one finally gives in (if at all)
I can't rest until I know.

Lunalovepud Sat 17-Dec-16 17:29:11

NICE guidance states that you can request a C Section if you want one.

They can get you to jump through some hoops for it, e.g see a psychologist etc but at the end of the day, if you want one, you should be offered one.

Mental health IS a medical reason.

pathways.nice.org.uk/pathways/caesarean-section#path=view%3A/pathways/caesarean-section/deciding-whether-to-offer-caesarean-section.xml&content=view-node%3Anodes-woman-requests-caesarean-section

Brysonette Sat 17-Dec-16 17:43:56

I was referred to a consultant by my very understanding midwife and was told at that appointment that I could have a c section if I wanted it. The consultant didn't feel it essential that I saw a Clinical Psychologist but I have done anyway to try to help me cope if I go into labour early! I saw a second consultant to go through the risks and get a date booked but he was extremely helpful and calming, especially after an email from the Clinical Psychologist detailing my fear. I was expecting a fight but it hasn't happened! Good luck smile

Brysonette Sat 17-Dec-16 17:46:52

Oh to clarify, it's on my notes if I go into labour early they will still do a c section.

inthenickoftime Sat 17-Dec-16 17:48:32

I had an elective c section with DS. It was related to my high anxiety about childbirth as well as my overwhelming fear that I would be "knocked out" for an emergency c section. I saw my GP who referred me to a consultant. After my first appointment with the consultant I had a date for my c section. It's your right to choose how you give birth. I researched into it a lot so I was armed with the facts.

Mammylamb Sat 17-Dec-16 21:33:34

Hi, I have Tokophobia too. In the end I had a elective c section. And it was absolutely fine .' Good luck OP xxx

IndieBamBindi Sun 18-Dec-16 09:33:32

Thanks everyone.
Dis any of you that had the elcs find that you had to argue/fight for it, or was it quite quickly accepted because of the mh issue?

My midwife at booking in said it's a positive thing to recognise this quickly as it can take a while to get a consultant to agree etc...

I am ten weeks and am seeing consultant at 16 weeks

Canters15 Sun 18-Dec-16 09:51:08

I was referred by midwife to consultant at 16 weeks. The consultant was lovely and asked me to try cbt before coming back to see her at 35 weeks. She did say she wouldn't make me have a vaginal birth.

Cbt helped a bit but didn't change my mind. Went back to see the consultant and section booked there and then for 39 weeks.

The section itself was wonderful and recovery has been a doddle. Dc1 now 5 weeks old.

I was treated with nothing but kindness and respect throughout the whole process. Made a very scary time much easier.

IndieBamBindi Sun 18-Dec-16 09:59:39

It really really worries me to think I may have to live like this till 35 weeks in a constant state of fear and distress and making myself I'll and avoiding friends who talk about childbirth etc...
I wish they would accept me earlier and I might be able to enjoy even a day of this pregnancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now