Talk

Advanced search

People smoking outside in public

(215 Posts)
Mimicat44 Fri 16-Dec-16 17:49:25

I had to go into town today for an appointment (normally try to avoid it at this time of year) with dd in her buggy. Even though it was only a ten minute walk from where we parked, we had to walk through/around four separate groups of people smoking. No way to avoid breathing in the smoke. I don't think I'm being particularly PFB as it would have pissed me off if I'd been alone but it was infuriating thinking of dd having to breathe it. At one point we got stuck walking behind someone who was smoking with no way to overtake. AIBU to wish that they would ban smoking in the street/outside public spaces? Why does their right to smoke trump our right to not breathe poisoned air? If they want to carry on, fine, they can stink up their own houses, tar up their own lungs and clean up their own fag butts!

specialsubject Fri 16-Dec-16 17:51:01

oh dear...

I hate smokers, the reek and the litter but your ickle preshus really isn't going to die horribly from this.

just feel sorry for their addiction and walk on.

SleepingBooty Fri 16-Dec-16 17:51:29

YABU. It's one of the only places smokers can go, no need to be so precious.

Thisjustinno Fri 16-Dec-16 17:52:18

There was an almost identical thread a couple of days ago - maybe have a look at that.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Fri 16-Dec-16 17:52:49

YABU.

WorraLiberty Fri 16-Dec-16 17:54:17

Oh please make the whinging and whining stop.

Mimicat44 Fri 16-Dec-16 17:54:49

'Ickle preshus' - nice hmm

Shakey15000 Fri 16-Dec-16 17:54:56

You can wish it but it's perfectly legal.

Yay. Another thread on smoking...

Soubriquet Fri 16-Dec-16 17:55:49

Even I think yabu and I'm about as anti smoking as they come

It's free space. You don't get to dictate what they do

fourquenelles Fri 16-Dec-16 17:56:41

You are being ridiculous. Your PFB is just at the right height in her buggy to catch lungfuls of car exhaust fumes. I'd worry more about that if I were you.

Shakey15000 Fri 16-Dec-16 17:58:05

Next it will be " I was walking past a window and a wisp of smoke came out and wafted past juuussst as I was walking by.." hmm

NotJustAnotherUsername Fri 16-Dec-16 17:58:17

May I suggest one of these

harderandharder2breathe Fri 16-Dec-16 17:59:59

Yabu

I'm a nonsmoker, and yes I would prefer not to walk past people smoking but I accept that it's infinitely better than being stuck in a room with people smoking, that outside is the only place smokers can smoke, and that it only affects me for a few seconds. And I get on with the rest of my life.

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 16-Dec-16 18:00:22

I was going to mention car fumes as well Four.

Badcat666 Fri 16-Dec-16 18:01:05

Nail them up I say! Nail them up! (joking)

rolls eyes... gets a double six

Please get a grip, I'm pretty sure the crap coming out of some vehicles are more damaging to your child in a buggy as they are right at the level to inhale the stuff that gets spewed out than a taller adult having a ciggie.

I get pissed off when ppl with buggies walk side by side forcing me to walk in the road but I'm not demanding all buggies to get banned from pavements.

DearMrDilkington Fri 16-Dec-16 18:03:54

Its really not going to cause either of you any damage from that small exposure.

Mimicat44 Fri 16-Dec-16 18:06:30

Cars serve useful sometimes essential functions, cigarettes do not. also it's much easier for you to move out the way of a bugy than it is for someone to manoeuvre the buggy out of your way/the path of a car

DearMrDilkington Fri 16-Dec-16 18:08:26

To be fair, cigarettes are good for stress..

I am a non-smoker, and loathe the smell, but smokers have been banned from so many places - cars with children in, all indoor public places, some out door spaces like hospital grounds, public transport etc - outdoors or in their own homes/the homes of other smokers are pretty much the only places left to them.

The concentration of cigarette smoke outside is going to be much lower than if you were in a confined space and, whilst I absolutely accept that it is unpleasant, it is unlikely to do your child any harm (unless they have something like asthma that is triggered by cigarette smoke).

CherryChasingDotMuncher Fri 16-Dec-16 18:13:32

YANBU IMO but the Defensive Smokers will be out in force I'm afraid. I'm not sure what the answer would be, I'd love an outdoor smoking ban but I'm aware feeling this way makes me a bit unreasonable. At least it's not like it used to be when people could smoke in restaurants!

If people blow smoke near my pram (it happens a lot, people really dont give a shit) I'm guilty of doing dramatic PA wafting of it away. If you're gonna smoke outside I think it's common courtesy to blow your gross fumes away from other people. You can stink all you want but I'd like to not stink thank you very much!

OddBoots Fri 16-Dec-16 18:16:20

It's minging but legal. At least we are free of it indoors now.

TheNaze73 Fri 16-Dec-16 18:19:51

YANBU. It should be banned in all public spaces. It's rank

neonrainbow Fri 16-Dec-16 18:19:59

Is it morally ok to smoke right outside the front door of a hospital? Everytime i go for my maternity appointments there will be some people smoking. Usually by the machine where you have to pay for parking which is right by the door. I get to walk through a lovely cloud of foul smoke every time i go in.

Gowgirl Fri 16-Dec-16 18:20:01

Smokers are a dying breed, give us a bloody break we spend our lives outside, at least we can have the outside tables in a restaurant without pa coughing now--because its bloody freezing--
Must be smoking one waves to*worra*, and awaits gamerchick

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now