Talk

Advanced search

To keep an unopened bottle of perfume I love

(22 Posts)
Bumbledumb Fri 16-Dec-16 13:11:14

Many years ago, I bought a perfume which I really grew to like (Gucci pour Homme EDT). I went looking to buy another bottle several years later, only to find it had been discontinued. I managed to find a shop in the Netherlands that still had some old stock and bought a bottle from them at a discounted price. I put it in a cupboard thinking I would open it once I had finished the stuff I was currently using. I don't wear perfume often, so it takes me ages to get through a bottle.

The problem now is that the perfume in question is still sitting in its sealed box, and similar bottles are selling for up to £400 on ebay. I would love to open it and enjoy it, but I can't seem to get over the fact that it is worth so much unopened. I don't want to sell it, but I don't want to use it either, so it is sitting there looking at me. AIBU to just keep it?

Wolfiefan Fri 16-Dec-16 13:14:50

Open it and use it or sell it and use the money towards something special. Just don't leave it sitting around unopened. That's a waste. And it won't last indefinitely.

Elphame Fri 16-Dec-16 13:16:54

If it gives you pleasure to know you have it even if you don't use it then I'd keep it.

Life is short though - why not open it and enjoy using it?

I live in dread of my own favourite perfume being discontinued - I'll be heartbroken ( and I always keep an unopened bottle in reserve just in case!)

YelloDraw Fri 16-Dec-16 13:19:06

Depends.

Would you get more pleasure out of:
1 - Using it
2 - knowing you have it and may use it in the future
3 - selling it and spending £400 on something else

You should do whichever one of those makes you happiest.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Fri 16-Dec-16 13:21:59

I thought pour Homme was French for "for men" ? (not really relevant just wondered)

Just sell it and treat yourself or use it! I hate the idea of keeping things for 'best' and not enjoying them.

It might go off and smell nasty if you keep it too long.

Bumbledumb Fri 16-Dec-16 13:36:01

Life is short though - why not open it and enjoy using it?

I guess it's because I know that once it is finished there is no way I will be able to justify the cost of replacing it.

I thought pour Homme was French for "for men" ?

It is.

Wolfiefan Fri 16-Dec-16 13:37:10

But if you keep it unopened you will never smell it again. If you leave it for ages and then open it then it will probably be spoilt.

Arfarfanarf Fri 16-Dec-16 13:38:27

What are you going to do with it when you're dead?
Doesnt seem much point to me, keeping stuff just so you have it, so that when you die it gets chucked away, sold or used by someone else.

steff13 Fri 16-Dec-16 13:38:31

I agree with ILostItInTheEarlyNineties - perfume doesn't last forever. And, pour homme does mean "for men."

I think regardless of what you decide, you should open it and make sure it still smells ok.

MeetMeAtMidnight Fri 16-Dec-16 13:39:29

It's hard when a favourite perfume is discontinued, but I'm of the not saving for best/rainy day persuasion, so I'd use it even knowing it was the last time I'd be able to get it. If you have no intention of using it, I'd sell it so someone else could enjoy it, especially at such a good price. I don't have many things I have just for the sake of having them or just because they are valuable. It's like these billionaires who have priceless works of art locked away in a vault that no one will ever see, or rare bottles of wine that they'll never open - it's such a shame and a waste. Things were meant to be enjoyed.

ShowMePotatoSalad Fri 16-Dec-16 13:41:42

Sell it or use it. I guarantee you'll find another perfume to love.

Gucci may bring it back anyway.

Orangepear Fri 16-Dec-16 19:33:15

I'd sell it and buy a dupe!

Candlestickchick Fri 16-Dec-16 19:38:57

I have a bottle of Valentino Rock n Rose for exactly this reason!

Gatekeeper Fri 16-Dec-16 19:58:29

you can still buy Gucci pour homme edt can't you?

www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=gucci+pour+homme

I like loads of mens aftershaves- some of them are def unisex

SloeGinandTonic Fri 16-Dec-16 20:01:01

It might be off. My favourite is discontinued. I bought some from a very reputable store and it had turned. They must have had it at the back of the cupboard for a few years.

QuilliamCakespeare Fri 16-Dec-16 20:03:45

Argh, Candlestick I was gutted when I realised Rock and Rose was no more. I have Valentina by Valentino which is similar but not quite the same.

Gatekeeper Fri 16-Dec-16 20:17:56

isn't Valentino Rock and Rose still for sale?

Castleheights Fri 16-Dec-16 20:33:52

I'd sell it.
It could be off.
If you liked to "that" much you would have used it by now.

QuilliamCakespeare Fri 16-Dec-16 20:36:30

I had no idea Gatekeeper, I'd been looking for it in shops and never found it so assumed it had been discontinued. Thanks for the link. I'm sure it didn't used to cost £80 but I might have to splash out anyway... confused

RedHelenB Fri 16-Dec-16 21:04:13

Open it, use it and then keep the bottle if you want to

RedHelenB Fri 16-Dec-16 21:06:58

Had a quick look on EBAY out of curiosity and the buy it now price is £115. But that doesn't mean anyone will, it;a not going into a bidding war so maybe not that rare.

RedHelenB Fri 16-Dec-16 21:09:03

Empty box and bottle £2.50 .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now