Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to have washed the xmas tree?

(18 Posts)
Allthewaves Fri 16-Dec-16 12:08:19

First year with real tree. Had it in house for a wk. Noticed lots insects around base if tree. Obviously they have hatched brrrr. So cleaned up and looked at tree and could see them crawling - grim grim grim.

Have now dragged tree out the back garden and thrown buckets of soapy water over it and left it. My plan is to bring back in tomorrow. Dh is saying no way and to go get a fake tree.

So to bring back in or not hmmmm

luckymucky Fri 16-Dec-16 12:09:40

I would give it up as a bad job and go and buy a fake tree but I'm a bit fussy and the insects would be on my mind!

Mummyreindeerlegz Fri 16-Dec-16 12:10:39

I always give ours a good hard shake and in ten years never seen a bug.

ShowMePotatoSalad Fri 16-Dec-16 12:11:17

I think most real trees probably have insects on them but your tree sounds infested. I would have done the same as you but I wouldn't have washed it...would have just put it outside and maybe hung some outdoor lights on and had it as an outside tree, and then would have got a fake one.

SerialReJoiner Fri 16-Dec-16 12:12:09

I'd give it up as a bad job, tbh.

DontTouchTheMoustache Fri 16-Dec-16 12:12:54

Yes agree it sounds lie you have been unlucky and got an infested tree. I don't think you should take it back inside

Batteriesallgone Fri 16-Dec-16 12:13:03

Well - how does it look now? Have lots of needles fallen off? Do you want it back in the house or is it looking a bit sorry for itself? We've never had an issue with insects either. Tiny bit of bleach in the water helps it to stay free of unpleasant stuff

Allthewaves Fri 16-Dec-16 12:19:48

Tree looks fab. Very lush and green. It was fresh cut from local farm - ridiculously heavy. May stick it out front with lights in and get a fake

GeorgeTheThird Fri 16-Dec-16 12:20:11

I'd see if they're still alive tomorrow. If they aren't moving I'd bring it back in.

Allthewaves Fri 16-Dec-16 12:20:25

I had real tree always growing up and this never happened.

ShowMePotatoSalad Fri 16-Dec-16 12:21:44

Next time I drive past a posh house with an outside tree I'll be wondering whether it's just an infested one that had been intended for their living room. fgrin

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Fri 16-Dec-16 12:21:55

Where did it come from? This happened to me and the company I got the tree from refunded the price of the tree and took it away for us. They said the machine to wash the trees was broken that year. Shouldn't really be selling trees then... A friend gets a fresh one every year and he says he's never had one critter come out. I'd say try a different company.

Allthewaves Fri 16-Dec-16 12:22:17

fgrin

Katy07 Fri 16-Dec-16 12:51:48

And there was me thinking that you were just house-proud and wanted your Christmas tree to look the part too- I'm actually slightly disappointed (and horrified at the thought of the insects!!!)

Liiinoo Fri 16-Dec-16 13:08:09

We always have a real tree and have never had this. Complain to your suppliers.

fourquenelles Fri 16-Dec-16 13:36:35

Thank God! I thought this was going to be a thread about ashng artifical trees before using them every year. Phew! wonders if there are MNers who do this?

fourquenelles Fri 16-Dec-16 13:37:26

*washing

skilledintheartofnothing Fri 16-Dec-16 13:57:17

Yep i panicked there for a second thinking good god...Am i supposed to be washing the tree every year ?!?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now