Talk

Advanced search

To take 3 week old to walk in/ GP

(56 Posts)
LittleLionMansMummy Fri 16-Dec-16 08:22:22

Dd is 3 weeks old today and has a stinking cold. She has regained her birth weight (a very healthy almost 9lbs) and was full term. Temp is only slightly elevated, but she's struggling to feed and has been quite vomity overnight. She's very drowsy and not latching on brilliantly because she's bunged up. She isn't really asking to be fed but I keep offering. She'll sometimes feed for 5 to 10 mins but just wants to sleep mostly and for the last 2 feeds has vomited. She's still having dirty nappies though so doesn't seem dehydrated. I'm pretty certain it's nothing more sinister than a cold, would I be overreacting to take her to the GP/ walk in?

HaPPy8 Fri 16-Dec-16 08:23:09

I would take her as she is only 3 weeks.

HaPPy8 Fri 16-Dec-16 08:23:39

Im sure she is fine but you cant be too caredul at that age

ICJump Fri 16-Dec-16 08:24:02

If you're worried just take her.

Starsandcars9 Fri 16-Dec-16 08:24:55

Yes I'd take her immediately!

Embolio Fri 16-Dec-16 08:25:25

I'd get her checked out as she's so young. Hope she's much better soon smile

BarbarianMum Fri 16-Dec-16 08:25:48

At 3 weeks nothing is an over-reaction. Ds1 had a tummy bug at 3 weeks and I was (nicely) told off for not taking him in sooner, even though he was fundamentally fine and not dehydrated. Take her.

luckylucky24 Fri 16-Dec-16 08:25:49

I don't think they would object to you taking her seems as she is so young.

Starsandcars9 Fri 16-Dec-16 08:26:02

And prob straight to nearest children's a and e not a walk in centre... A fever is young babies is not normal...

Peanutandphoenix Fri 16-Dec-16 08:26:51

Yes I would take her because she's so young and her little body isn't strong enough to fight off the cold. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Starsandcars9 Fri 16-Dec-16 08:26:55

Also a cold doesn't cause drowsiness...

BarbarianMum Fri 16-Dec-16 08:32:11

Starsandcars that's not true

memyselfandaye Fri 16-Dec-16 08:33:40

Take her.

Have you got any Calpol saline nasal spray? You could also use some Olbas Oil on a hanky near her and those vapour plug ins.

My now 5yr old was a snotty baby too.

ShowMePotatoSalad Fri 16-Dec-16 08:35:15

If she's vomiting and the cold is affecting her feeding I would definitely take her in. I would also be taking her in for the temperature alone.

DoItTooJulia Fri 16-Dec-16 08:35:26

No doctor would discourage you from taking such a small baby to be checked over.

I hope she's better soon flowers

McBassyPants Fri 16-Dec-16 08:38:00

What is her temperature? I don't think there is such a thing as over cautious in a new baby tbh

DrWhy Fri 16-Dec-16 08:38:46

memy olbas oil for infants and the calpol plugin are both only licensed from 3 months although many people do use them earlier. The saline spray is fine.
I'd probably take them just for a check and hopefully reassurance (and they'll probably tell you it's fine to use olbas oil or the calpol plugin!).

mudandmayhem01 Fri 16-Dec-16 08:39:58

Take her, my dad was a gp, he said compared to all the other things he had to deal with seeing a tiny baby and reassuring mum that everything is fine is always a pleasure!

LittleLionMansMummy Fri 16-Dec-16 08:41:13

Her temp went to 37.4 overnight but is down to 36. 8 this morning. She feels a little warmer than usual to the touch. I've got her an appointment (thankfully, as we'd completely overlooked getting her registered with our GP!) today at 10.30.
Should I be expressing to keep my milk supply up?

NavyandWhite Fri 16-Dec-16 08:43:06

Yes won't do any harm to her her checked.

LittleLionMansMummy Fri 16-Dec-16 08:43:23

Also I haven't used anything other than milk to make her more comfortable as everything says 3 months + on the labelling. Will ask GP what's ok to use. I think steam can work for stuffy nose etc.

BarbarianMum Fri 16-Dec-16 08:46:23

Saline drips can be good for unbunging little noses. Maybe ask GO if they're ok at this age.

Sweetpotatoaddict Fri 16-Dec-16 08:48:03

Glad you're getting her checked op, you can never be too careful with a new baby. If you feel anything is worsening while waiting for your appointment with her I wouldn't hesitate to call 999.

HaveNoSocks Fri 16-Dec-16 08:50:29

I took mine in for very similar at a similar age. It was as you suspect just a cold but the doctor said I did the right thing to check because he was so young,

AverageJosephine Fri 16-Dec-16 08:52:27

At 3 weeks I'd take her. And I'm known for under reactions (although my sister is a GP so I can call her to bounce things off which usually leads to me not going to the GP). But yeah, take her to get checked out for dehydration and infection etc. She's very little.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now