Talk

Advanced search

To ask what you give your ill toddlers?

(19 Posts)
Mamabear14 Fri 16-Dec-16 07:00:26

Sorry if I spell anything wrong, I've had about 2 hours broken sleep.
16 month old has been snotty for a few days, watery eyes etc but not much temp. Have given calpol before bed.
Last night she's started coughing, I know normally cough medicines are a bit shit but are there any you've used for your small people that work and I can give alongside calpol?
Also, what do you feed yours as she is off pretty much everything that isn't milk or peppa pig yogurts.

luckylucky24 Fri 16-Dec-16 07:07:47

We put snufflebabe on her chest, paracetamol. Benylin for coughs. It is just syrup I think but maybe check with pharmacist.

Just feed what she will have. They don't tend to like chewing with a stuffed nose as it is really hard work. Maybe soup?

Onlyonce Fri 16-Dec-16 07:10:59

My doctor has always said not to worry as long as they are getting enough fluids but I also second pp, if she wants to eat just give her what she will have until she starts to feel better

Onlyonce Fri 16-Dec-16 07:12:50

Also try propping her up when she's sleeping. It helps my dd when she has a cough. We also sit in the bathroom with the shower on as the steam seems to help. Maybe 10 mins a time.we do it before bed when dd is ill and sometimes during the night. Hope she is better soon

CharlieDimmocksbosoms Fri 16-Dec-16 07:31:30

Lots of fresh air in the day and window open in her room when she's not there. Wet flannel with some drops of olbas oil on over a radiator at night. Snufflebabe on soles of feet covered in babygro or socks. No cough suppressant. It's best she brings up what she needs to. Raise head end of cot or bed with books/ a couple of bricks under the feet- no higher than 4 inches. Hope she feels better soon

thrifttwig Fri 16-Dec-16 07:59:10

Piriton is great for coughs. My gp prescribed when my 2 year old had an awful cough at night. It really helps.

Eminybob Fri 16-Dec-16 08:07:23

I came on to say piriton for a cough too, it was a godsend for my 2 year old when he was coughing so much he was being sick. Cleared it up almost overnight.

That said, I really don't know if it's OK to give a 4 month old, I would get some proper medical advice before you do so.

Mamabear14 Fri 16-Dec-16 08:08:15

I forgot all about snuffle babe in my zombie state, I've got some in the cupboard so I'll put some on her. I will try the steam and the propping thing before bed tonight. Thank you

HeCantBeSerious Fri 16-Dec-16 08:08:31

Humidifier, prop up, Vicks on chest and feet with socks over, calpol (for real fever only), warm honey and lemon drink, glycerine cough liquid, reduce dairy intake. Lots of rest and let the body sort itself out.

AGrinWithoutACat Fri 16-Dec-16 08:27:11

If her throat is sore, honey or marshmallows, homemade ice (milk) lollies to suck and encourage liquid intake

DD 23 months still has breast milk as well so she will never refuse that

BarbarianMum Fri 16-Dec-16 08:29:40

The thing about portion is that it dries up mucus. Which can stop a cough but the mucus is the body's way to get rid of the bacteria/virus. So I wouldn't use it as it risks making the infection worse.

Food wise I give anything they'll eat, even if that is just milk and yogurts. Back to the perpetual food battle when they're well again.

BarbarianMum Fri 16-Dec-16 08:30:23

Piriton

annlee3817 Fri 16-Dec-16 08:34:43

I water down the night time milk, as the thickness of milk can sometimes make her cough more, Calpol plugins are good, Cot raised at one end, food wise, I avoid dry stuff like toast as it makes my DD cough even more, and just go with what she fancies.

annlee3817 Fri 16-Dec-16 08:34:45

I water down the night time milk, as the thickness of milk can sometimes make her cough more, Calpol plugins are good, Cot raised at one end, food wise, I avoid dry stuff like toast as it makes my DD cough even more, and just go with what she fancies.

bumbleymummy Fri 16-Dec-16 10:34:33

A spoonful of honey and a bath with a few drops of olbas oil before bed (there's a children's one). Mine will sleep propped up on pillows when they have a cough.

DailyFail1 Fri 16-Dec-16 11:48:04

Baby vicks
Baby ibuprofen
I'll keep a bucket of steaming water in the room while they're sleeping (only suitable for immobile babies).

Artandco Fri 16-Dec-16 11:53:46

Take outside - the fresh air helps them breathe easier and clear chest. Wrap them up in pram with blankets and footmuffs

Steam - turn shower on and let the room fill with steam

I wouldn't give milk or yogurts too much as milk makes mucus worse.

GeekyWombat Fri 16-Dec-16 13:20:39

Same as lots of previous posters. Snufflebabe on the feet, calpol plugin, whatever she fancies eating. We cut out milk for the duration and raise her mattress with a rolled up towel under one end.

notfromstepford Fri 16-Dec-16 15:45:37

Found a humidifier a god send - especially at this time of year with central heating on.
Also when DS was really bad, used to sleep in the reclining arm chair holding him uprightish - we did both get some sleep that way.

As pp have also said, cut back on diary, makes mucus worse, olbas oil on a damp face cloth on the radiator or snufflebabe also good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now