Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Barking dog

(12 Posts)
Ditsyprint40 Fri 16-Dec-16 06:46:33

There's a dog somewhere in our neighbourhood, that I can only guess is let out to use the toilet, usually two or three times an evening after 10pm, and barks/yaps furiously to come back in. AIBU to think this dog owner shouldn't just shut it out in the garden for ten minutes and allow it to yap and wake everybody up? Without fail it wakes me. I'm a big dog lover, and when we've previously had dogs we've been so careful not to allow them to bark - we live in a very compact neighbourhood.
The issue is, we have absolutely no idea who the dog belongs too, only the rough direction. Also don't want to pee off neighbours. Am tempted to print a polite notice and stick to lampposts.. would this be massively U?

exLtEveDallas Fri 16-Dec-16 06:54:46

No they absolutely shouldn't shut it outside for 10 mins, but as the owner of a barky dog I have to say that sometimes there is nothing you can do.

The Mutt goes out for a wee at 10pm. Any earlier and she'd need to go again when I get up at 5am. It would be worse to be woken early I think?

She barks (not for 10 mins) furiously when she is first let out. That's because we have a fox living next door and a badger sett at the bottom of the garden. Plus cats belonging to 3 neighbours. She is 'clearing' her territory before she does her business.

She's currently sitting at my feet waiting to go out for her morning wee. I leave that one until 7:30, because I know she'll bark. I've tried everything I can to stop this behaviour, but nothing has worked.

I'm sorry, but I doubt a notice would work either. Even if the owner read it, someone that shuts their dog out and ignores it for 10 mins probably doesn't care.

NavyandWhite Fri 16-Dec-16 08:21:56

That's just so bloody rude of them plus it's unfair on the dog.

I'm really mindful about mine barking too early or late in the day and always go and stand with them in the garden to hush them if they bark.

I'd try and find out who the dog belongs to if possible and maybe even contact EH.

Olympiathequeen Fri 16-Dec-16 08:23:18

We have a neighbour who does this only its 6 am sad

Whitney168 Fri 16-Dec-16 08:27:22

as the owner of a barky dog I have to say that sometimes there is nothing you can do

You could take it out for a walk, instead?

Ours are taken out 10PM or later just for a quick 'wee walk' because we used to have one who was a barker and we haven't got out of the habit.

I have three dogs, but they are absolutely not allowed to be barking in the garden late at night or early in the morning, and it drives me mad that others allow their dogs to do this. - not least because we do regularly walk ours, and they are therefore quite 'visible' in the neighbourhood, and I'd hate people to think we're the rude ones.

Stormwhale Fri 16-Dec-16 08:32:55

Whitney - this isn't sarcastic at all, well done for being such a considerate dog owner. Good job. smile I wish more owners were like you!!

Noofly Fri 16-Dec-16 08:43:57

I also have a barky dog. Forget about the neighbours, it drives me bonkers! I agree with PP who say owners should take their dogs out for a last pee rather than letting them into the garden to pee and bark. We take ours out to a bit of wasteland a couple of minutes away last thing at night and first thing in the morning.

Honestly, if it were me I probably wouldn't try to find the dog because I have confrontation, but if you are more assertive, I would try to work out which house it is and talk to them.

For my dog, I'm trying a new technique during the day by letting him out with his long lead on and bringing him straight back in as soon as he barks (before he would do a barky dance around me and refuse to come in). I suspect he's just going to end up completely banned from the garden unless someone is out with him!

exLtEveDallas Fri 16-Dec-16 18:26:11

When I say I've tried everything, I mean I've tried everything. And yes, including taking the dog for a walk...as soon as she steps out of the door she barks, whether I'm there or not. I can't stop the fox or the badger coming into the garden (wish I could - the poo is horrendous) and that is what she is barking at.

Hey, seriously, anyone has any ideas, I'm up for it. It drives me mad too.

LittleBooInABox Fri 16-Dec-16 18:38:27

I have a badly dog, but sadly I think shouting at him for 10 minutes wouldn't help. My dogs go out three times in the evening though.

5pm - after dinner wee.
walk inbetween
9pm - wee.
12pm - last wee.

All for three minutes max, and I stand in the garden to supervise because otherwise they doddle.

God it's like having kids! More kids!

PoptartPoptart Fri 16-Dec-16 18:43:52

Just curious - do those sound machine things work? I don't know what they're called, but they are always advertised in those free newspaper magazines of supposedly brilliant innotive gadgets. They claim to deter dogs from barking by emitting a high pitched noise (only audible to animals) and therefore stopping the barking pattern.

Wetcappuccino Fri 16-Dec-16 18:50:39

I doubt EH would be interested, and nor should they be in my opinion. Living in a residential area you have to expect to hear occasional noise from your neighbours. Provided this is not a persistent, nuisance level at antisocial hours I would suggest that there should be some come and go with your neighbours, as you would expect from them. There may be things that you do that impinge on them - a dog barking once or twice a day is not a huge issue in my book. You AIBU to start leafleting the neighbourhood - that is akin to writing an anonymous letter.

NavyandWhite Fri 16-Dec-16 19:13:22

Eh would be the next step after speaking to the dog owner.

They can intervene and advise the dog owner regarding stopping the barking.

This is a what used to happen put it that way. Whether that's now stopped because of the cuts is another matter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now