Talk

Advanced search

What to buy for teetotal diabetic colleague

(28 Posts)
KondoLisaNice Fri 16-Dec-16 05:45:35

I usually buy a token bottle of wine and put in a nice bottle bag for each of my line reports. I don't want to spend lots of time researching a personalised present -so what should I get this (male) colleague.

RhiWrites Fri 16-Dec-16 05:48:01

Pistachio nuts. At least that's what I got my teetotal diabetic colleague last summer.

Dozer Fri 16-Dec-16 05:49:56

Nice savoury crackers/cheese set from supermarket? Plant.

KondoLisaNice Fri 16-Dec-16 05:50:53

Perfect! Thanks for the lovely quick reply. Any other ideas to make it up to about £7?

Dozer Fri 16-Dec-16 05:55:18

Actually depending on their diet some crackers might not work as high in the blood sugar index thingy!

Some sort of foodie bits might work though. Or stationery! Although perhaps my work is unusual that we all like stationery!

mum2Bomg Fri 16-Dec-16 05:57:24

Love stationery smile

catsarenice Fri 16-Dec-16 05:59:08

Posh coffee?

mum2Bomg Fri 16-Dec-16 06:02:05

How about a couple of bottles of posh non-alcoholic stuff? Would have loved this woken pregnant and doesn't single him out as he still gets a bottle? www.belvoirfruitfarms.co.uk/shop/elderflower-presse

mum2Bomg Fri 16-Dec-16 06:02:26

*when I was

Out2pasture Fri 16-Dec-16 06:05:10

Tea, tea mug, tea cozy
Set of coasters

Fantail Fri 16-Dec-16 06:35:54

As a diabetic:

Crackers: Depends what sort of diabetic he is. If he uses insulin for each meal then crackers (especially oat cakes) would be ok. Actually good quality oatcakes even if diet controlled would be ok.

Coffee is good as is tea.

Really good quality dark chocolate (above 72%) is also ok.

Nuts are also ok. Especially almonds, walnuts and Brazil nuts. Cashews and pistachios are higher carb.

RockyTop Fri 16-Dec-16 06:37:56

As a type 1 diabetic I'd say avoid the drinks mentioned above. It's a great idea but looking at the nutritional info they're as sugary as a coke. Most type 1s carb count so can be a bit flexible with food, but sugary drinks are usually out unless treating a hypo.

mum2Bomg Fri 16-Dec-16 08:48:02

Oh dear - sorry!

Katy07 Fri 16-Dec-16 08:49:19

It's times like this you wish you had a gift list grin

happychristmasbum Fri 16-Dec-16 08:52:07

A book? One of those funny Ladybird books maybe? The Meeting is very good.

Socks?

Kpo58 Fri 16-Dec-16 08:53:48

Lid Sid are really useful and look amusing.

user1472419718 Fri 16-Dec-16 08:55:17

Diabetic chocolate?

www.hotelchocolat.com/uk/shop/collections/dietary/diabetic-chocolate

JellyBabiesSaveLives Fri 16-Dec-16 08:55:29

Ask him. Ask if Christmas is tricky with everyone stuffing their faces and if he has to avoid stuff, or if he has Christmas treats he still really enjoys? Say you don't know much about diabetes and you know the media gets it wrong, and you're interested in his viewpoint.

"Diabetic" covers a wide range. My son has Type 1 and happily eats his bodyweight in cheap chocolate (with insulin!).

Whatever you do, don't buy special diabetic chocolate. That stuff is basically a laxative.

JellyBabiesSaveLives Fri 16-Dec-16 08:56:35

Oops, hadn't seen your post, user142!

Really, that stuff is made for well-meaning friends to buy!

nerdymum Fri 16-Dec-16 08:57:51

Tasteful/funky (depending on taste) mug with some posh dark choc (hotel chocolat/moctezuma are great) should add up to or exceed £7

Salobrena Fri 16-Dec-16 09:04:34

Also diabetic.

Agree with Jelly, don't but the stuff aimed at diabetics. It is shit. Even the medical professionals advise against it.

Are they type 1 or type 2 and how is it treated. They are very different conditions.

I am type 1 and have whatever I fancy. I just adjust my insulin accordingly.

I have no experience of type 2, so can't advise.

KondoLisaNice Fri 16-Dec-16 18:49:46

Thanks so much for all of these great ideas.

DragonTail Fri 16-Dec-16 22:06:05

How about some nice chutneys? You can get gift packs of them.

80schild Fri 16-Dec-16 22:09:49

They are allowed to eat chocolate. Just buy the best you can afford.

ThisThingCalledLife Fri 16-Dec-16 22:36:48

hat/scarves/gloves/ear muffs etc....i got my friend the elbow length soft fingerless gloves. She feels the cold more easily than most and temperature changes so she loves these as she can wear them all year round -

www.turtle-doves.co.uk/collections/cashmere-fingerless-gloves

Last year was a funky Hello Kitty 'first aid' bag she keeps her supplies in, big enuf for what she needs and small enough to easily carry.
Other gifts have included foot/face/body massages - Groupon are the best!

i like to combine my gift to be a mixture of functional and fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now