Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask why my babies washing keeps going grey?

(23 Posts)
bippitybopityboo Fri 16-Dec-16 01:34:35

Come on, call me thick bur what am I doing wrong?
I put all my babies cloths on a baby and toddler cycle which goes up to 90 ° and the whites keep coming out grey I use fairy non bio and comfort
What can I do to stop them losing their colour blush

musicposy Fri 16-Dec-16 01:39:22

Are you putting the whites in all on their own or with other colours? Sorry if that's an obvious question!

bippitybopityboo Fri 16-Dec-16 01:41:49

I put whites in with lights like baby blue he doesn't seem to accumulate enough white stuff for an all whitems wash however if this is te reason ill wait till I have enough stuff for a white wash because he's only getting 1 wear out of his white clothes

PonderLand Fri 16-Dec-16 01:45:12

That's a really hot wash if you're mixing whites with colour.
I normally wash my sons clothes on 40- cotton and put whites in with other light colours. Then wash darks on the same cycle.

musicposy Fri 16-Dec-16 01:51:00

It should be ok then, the only thing I can think is if you're doing a really hot wash it's hot enough to strip the colour out of the blues and make the whites grey.

I never did baby clothes at 90, though if I wanted to be sure it was hygienic I did 60 sometimes. You could try different wash programmes that don't need a full load - it won't harm the baby not to use the baby and toddler cycle. Use another 60 cycle if you're worried about killing germs - you may even have a 60 quick wash for a small load. That way you can put in white only.

Also if you use powder rather than liquid, for example a non bio powder, it will have brighteners and bleaching agents in it which keeps the whites white. If you're using liquid detergent it doesn't have those. I find if I use liquids for too long the clothes and machine get a bit manky.

Don't know if any of this helps!

bippitybopityboo Fri 16-Dec-16 01:57:04

Thankyou very much. The cycle is called baby and toddler clothing but I'll put it on a different one I did think it got very hot!

mum2Bomg Fri 16-Dec-16 04:00:46

Try the pink vanish stuff - I resisted for ages as I don't like the idea but it does get everything beautifully white.

mum2Bomg Fri 16-Dec-16 04:01:29

It will work after its gone grey too - try some on the stuff you think is ruined.

Satisfactorylemon Fri 16-Dec-16 04:08:40

Why is this in aibu hmm

foreverandalways Fri 16-Dec-16 05:21:04

Lower the temp of the wash, change the cycle to delicates if possible....washing tablet/gel, varnish in with the wash...fairy tablet and also softener...good luck.

RhiWrites Fri 16-Dec-16 05:54:34

Do whites on their own with a couple of scoops of Vanish Crystal White.

ICJump Fri 16-Dec-16 06:21:50

Sunlight is what you need. Even next to a window will help.

P1nkP0ppy Fri 16-Dec-16 06:35:00

Use a scoop of Napisan in with the detergent, that seems to work well.

DappledThings Fri 16-Dec-16 07:42:18

I put whatever is in the basket on together on a standard 40 degrees. Never separated anything except a very few items for handwashing in my life. Never had a problem with whites going grey or any other things fading.

sdaisy26 Fri 16-Dec-16 07:57:20

Stop washing on 90!

40 is fine, so's 30 for that matter and everything will last longer.

If you mix whites with even pale coloured, they will always go grey in the end. Whites only, bit of napisan & ace bleach every time and they will come up perfectly white.

Also, it is fine to wash your baby's clothes with yours - that might help you make up a bigger load of whites?

Fairylea Fri 16-Dec-16 08:03:34

Nothing needs to be washed at 90. For towels and tea towels 60 is enough to kill bacteria. I only do a 90 wash every few months to stop the machine getting a bit smelly.

Wash whites on their own. That's the only way they will stay white. Occasionally use some vanish or some other whitener to bring them up whiter again.

CMOTDibbler Fri 16-Dec-16 08:34:45

Anything not pure cotton will go grey at 90' tbh. 40' and a scoop of Napisan will keep it all looking white

welshweasel Fri 16-Dec-16 08:38:49

I chuck everything in together on a 30 degree wash, all comes out clean and the whites stay white. Poo stains get a Lee wash vanish scrub.

Thinkingblonde Fri 16-Dec-16 08:58:11

90o is too hot, it is used mainly for pure cotton which can take the heat. Most fabrics are a synthetic mix which don't cope well with high water temps.
I use a 40o wash cycle and use either Persil or Fairy non bio powder. I've also used Aldi non bio powder and got good results from that too. I also chuck a cup full of salt in with coloured wash if I am unsure if they are colourfast. The salt sets the colour. I wash whites on their own as much as possible but sometimes put lights in with them to make a load up. I have had comments on how white my washing is. I have also stopped using softener and gel/liquid detergent. It made the washer smell.

StarryIllusion Fri 16-Dec-16 09:04:09

Its far too hot to be mixing colours with whites, it doesn't need to be washed at 90 unless you're all dying of Norovirus or something and need to kill viruses. Also everything I have ever washed with non bio has gone dingy. Non bio is just shit imo.

Poocatcherchampion Fri 16-Dec-16 09:06:26

Baby and toddler cycle has more rinses ime. We use it for cloth nappies (at 60)

YouCanDoThis Fri 16-Dec-16 13:57:30

It is due to mixing the whites with coloured clothes, even light ones. Dteen's schoolshirts are a few years old, always washed separately and brilliant white. I've noticed that if one finds its way into another wash just once it is enough to lose the brilliance.

BlurryFace Fri 16-Dec-16 15:39:57

Another thing that helps keep whites white is to use powder other than the kind specifically for coloured items as it will contain at least some oxygen bleach - liquids and pods don't have these.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now