Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me who ruined my phone - me or my husband?

(74 Posts)
Starsandcars9 Thu 15-Dec-16 19:49:49

Please can you lovely people of mumsnet settle an argument that has been running on a for a week or so between my husband and I -
We were having lunch last week with bottles of coke each, we discussed carrying a few things home and I said I would put the bottles in my bag (so I had hands to carry other things). Unbeknown to me my husband had just 'rested' his lid on his bottle. At end of the meal I collect the two nearly full bottles and put them in my bag as discussed. To me at a glance the lid looked on. It then leaks, going all over my bag and ruining my iPhone (it can't be repaired - major upset).
Who broke my phone?!
Him for not screwing the lid on properly (i'd say why put it on at all if you aren't going to put it on properly?! He says he didn't want to lose lid hence why just put it on loosely) or me for not checking when I put it in my bag? I wouldn't check normally because I would always put a lid on properly or not at all! Plus when discussed putting drinks in my bag he didn't warn me about lid.
Go to town pls! We can't agree at all! Please provide a judgement so we can move forwards :-)

Bluntness100 Thu 15-Dec-16 19:52:46

Well ehrm, my judgement is your both being daft. It was an accident. Why do you need to allocate blame? He obviously didn't expect you to just pick it up and put it in your bag and you didn't check as thought the lid was on.

It's broken, how's it going to help to have one person take the blame.

Redglitter Thu 15-Dec-16 19:52:50

I'd say you were. I'd never put anything in my bag without checking it was closed.

EggysMom Thu 15-Dec-16 19:53:47

My opinion - it was your fault for not checking. Even if it's my own bottle of drink, and I know that I always screw the top on, I would check again before putting that bottle anywhere other than on a flat surface.

user1471548375 Thu 15-Dec-16 19:54:03

Your fault - you agreed to take responsibility for the bottles, you should have checked

harderandharder2breathe Thu 15-Dec-16 19:55:30

You're both daft but more you cause you're the one who put it in your bag without checking (surely you would notice picking up up if a lid is just balanced?)

Guavaf1sh Thu 15-Dec-16 19:55:49

Don't really see the reason to apportion blame but I would say you for putting the bottle in without checking the lid was tight, if pushed

Ahickiefromkinickie Thu 15-Dec-16 19:57:08

YANBU. Lid should have been screwed on properly.

Human mind sees a bottle with lid on as being closed. Unless it's a child's.

Mitfordhons Thu 15-Dec-16 19:57:20

You both are for this even being an issue, what does it matter? Neither one of you intended to ruin the phone, it was 100% an accident. This is exactly the sort of thing that you should be able to deal with without having to apportion blame, feel fed up about it for sure but then move on.

MinesAGin Thu 15-Dec-16 19:57:25

I disagree - he's a complete fool! Who does that? If he wanted the lid on, he should've screwed it on, not made it look like it was on!

KavvYourselfAMerryLittleXmas Thu 15-Dec-16 19:57:35

Him. Who leaves the lid off - loses its fizz as well misses point

FizzBombBathTime Thu 15-Dec-16 19:57:39

He's to blame IMO.

statetrooperstacey Thu 15-Dec-16 19:59:27

Yours obviously , you picked it up, at that point it became your responsibility. I would always give a bottle an extra tighten if going in my bag, just common sense. Sorry

DubiousCredentials Thu 15-Dec-16 19:59:36

Sorry but I think it's your fault. I would automatically check the lid before putting it in my bag I think?

bunnylove99 Thu 15-Dec-16 20:00:27

If your defence I think your DH was silly for not screwing it on properly. I do that too and it's from rushing/laziness! I hope you get lots of replies here and then you can laugh about it!

puglife15 Thu 15-Dec-16 20:00:37

It's not a healthy relationship if you've been arguing over this for the past week or so.

It doesn't matter whose fault it was does it?

Even my preschooler knows not to hold grudges ffs.

PoldarksBreeches Thu 15-Dec-16 20:01:19

Your bag and your phone - you should have checked.

Aderyn2016 Thu 15-Dec-16 20:04:03

His fault, but it was an accident make him get you a new phone

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 15-Dec-16 20:04:46

It's a pain. Accidents happen. Move on.

Blame is unhelpful. The reason we love it so much is that it gives us a semblance of control. But it's only a semblance.

ferriswheel Thu 15-Dec-16 20:05:30

I would have done what you did but why are you still arguing?

I'm getting divorced because my stbxh would have gone mental if that had happened to me.

QueenMortificado Thu 15-Dec-16 20:07:34

His. But I apportion him extra blame for being one of those men who asks if a woman can carry something just because she has a handbag.

Are his arms fucking painted on?

Starsandcars9 Thu 15-Dec-16 20:09:39

Thank you! Yes it looked on to me and I just never thought to question it.

Yes we are bring silly still arguing but I'm gutted about my phone and we have a few other issues going on so somehow this feels like a wider point over taking care over things!

We'll hopefully be laughing and calling it 'bottlegate' in a few weeks!

KitNeutron Thu 15-Dec-16 20:09:48

Just a very annoying accident, no more one person's fault than the other's.

I do the lid thing if I'm drinking from a bottle - I don't want to lose it, but if I keep screwing it on fully and taking it off the drink will lose its fizz.

CurlyhairedAssassin Thu 15-Dec-16 20:10:11

They are arguing because iPhones cost around £600. This is not "who left the milk out the fridge", although it's clearly not worth divorcing over either.

OP, you're equally at fault. He should have not given you a bottle to put in your bag knowing he hadn't tightened the top, and you should have checked that a) the bottle was nowhere near the phone and b)that anything liquid you put in your bag is secure.

Do you have any kind of gadget insurance?

Starsandcars9 Thu 15-Dec-16 20:12:35

Ps mrsterry that is very wise words!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now