Talk

Advanced search

For selling for a profit?

(148 Posts)
anannoyinglylongusername Thu 15-Dec-16 18:41:28

I managed to get hold of one those really in demand toys for Xmas. I got it for a friend I knew was looking for one but she managed to get one the same time.

I looked at what they are selling for and I put it onto a local selling sight for what I paid +25.

I got really slammed for it on page which people saying I was taking advantage of desperate parents.

My first thought was to be irritated as I don't think anyone needs to be desperate for a toy - but then I had second thoughts and took it down.

Wibu to try and sell it on for a profit?

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Thu 15-Dec-16 18:42:18

Put it on ebay as an auction. Then it sells for what it sells. Clear conscience.

NapQueen Thu 15-Dec-16 18:42:44

Yep. Let people bid for it.

glenthebattleostrich Thu 15-Dec-16 18:44:16

Yes, no issue if you'd listed it for the price you paid but the profiteering is irritating.

Hairyhat Thu 15-Dec-16 18:45:28

Is it a hatchimal?

ohlalalalalalalala Thu 15-Dec-16 18:45:52

Yabu. Essentially exploiting those who have no other choice but to pay over the odds. You are no better than a ticket tout. Your behaviour to me is disgusting

dingdongthewitchishere Thu 15-Dec-16 18:46:16

I couldn't take advantage of desperate parents looking for milk or medicine.

For a toy? People need to get a grip. They are free to wait for boxing day to find them at half price. Go for it. Buyers are not desperate!

Arfarfanarf Thu 15-Dec-16 18:48:11

Desperate?
Ha.
Nobody has a gun to their heads.
Put it back up.
If they dont want to pay they wont.
Nobody's forcing them.

Bumbumtaloo Thu 15-Dec-16 18:48:33

Honestly, yes I think you are.

I've seen so many posts on Facebook selling site for Hatchimal's and they are asking ridiculous prices, the sad thing is people will pay so more people will sell them on for profit.

dingdongthewitchishere Thu 15-Dec-16 18:49:12

exploiting those who have no other choice but to pay over the odds

grin

they do have a choice to not buy it! The toy will probably be played with for 5 minutes, then left on the side to catch dust anyway. They can wait for the sales.

Arfarfanarf Thu 15-Dec-16 18:49:33

No choice?
Its a toy not insulin.
The choice is to say nah im not paying that and get the kid something else.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Thu 15-Dec-16 18:51:44

Essentially exploiting those who have no other choice but to pay over the odds

Of course they have a choice. It's a toy!

anannoyinglylongusername Thu 15-Dec-16 18:52:12

I don't think it's fair to say I'm exploiting those who had no other choice!

I didn't do anything unusual to get hold of it. I signed up to stock alerts and kept an eye to help a friend.

It's now surplus to requirements so I didn't see the harm in making a bit extra from its popularity - but the venom from these people...confused

Charlottelouisa Thu 15-Dec-16 18:52:30

I think YABU
It's people like you buying these much sought after toys and re selling for an higher price is why they are selling out and the mad rush begins
If people just brought them for themselves then I'm sure they wouldn't be sold out everywhere.
You are -like the others doing it- taking advantage of parents (not desperate) of children (who are desperate) for the toy ... it's wrong

Caboodle Thu 15-Dec-16 18:52:46

Yanbu at all. No-one has to buy it and someone may actually be prepared to pay the extra and be glad you put it up for sale-regardless of the price. Expploiting parents my arse! fsmile

babyblabber Thu 15-Dec-16 18:53:04

Nobody has to buy it for their kid and it's not medicine but I know how wonderful it is to see your kid's face light up and although it hasn't happened to me yet, I would do a lot to get them what they asked Santa for.

I think it's really mean to rip off parents who want to make their kids happy. It's a Christmas, just sell it for what you paid for it.

Caboodle Thu 15-Dec-16 18:55:12

Re a previous post.. .some would argue ticket touts actually provide a service too. If someone wants to and can pay more why not let them? (I'm not including the computer generated ticket buying bots here btw). Agree with pp....it's not medicine, it's a toy.

Ylvamoon Thu 15-Dec-16 18:56:15

Just keep selling the toys for whatever people are happy to pay. Looks like someone people are a bit jealous...

GoneGirl1234 Thu 15-Dec-16 19:14:25

Put it on eBay and enjoy the profit!

JellyBelli Thu 15-Dec-16 19:22:09

YANBU. No one is forcing anyone to buy a toy.

lasttimeround Thu 15-Dec-16 19:27:42

Enjoy your profit. It's a toy - someone wants to pay over the odds for it that's their choice.

DonaldStott Thu 15-Dec-16 19:27:42

My dd wanted the build a bear stuffing station. Sold out everywhere. Had a look on ebay and it was in shock. Buy it now for £99. It was 21.99 in argos.

I actually got it cheaper than I could on ebay, by ordering it from Amazon in America. £44 with delivery. Yes I might be mad paying double, but at least I didn't feel like I was being ripped off. Orderd it on 6th dec, arrived yesterday.

AverageJosephine Thu 15-Dec-16 19:29:53

If some parents are foolish enough to pay big money for toys just because of hype and pester power then that's their problem.

Put it back up.

anannoyinglylongusername Thu 15-Dec-16 19:40:43

Feeling a bit better about it now, thanks!

FabulouslyGlamourousFerret Thu 15-Dec-16 19:45:28

What don't you sell it for what you paid? Make someone's day! sometimes being kind is better than making a few quid out of someone - just think of the glow you'll have.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now