Talk

Advanced search

Store manager lied so I would pass my credit rating

(45 Posts)
user1481754448 Thu 15-Dec-16 17:47:58

I recently got an iPhone S Plus on a contract. I wasn't sure if I would pass the credit rating as I've been a student most of my life and I'm currently on a full time postgraduate course.

I did explain that I had passed a credit rating with my broadband provider recently.

Anyway I wasn't asked any questions about my employment status or income and was simply told my credit check was fine and I was given the phone.

I did explain that I only had £50 in my account that day so they knew I wasn't well off.

I am very careful with money so I know I can afford the contract but I'm a bit concerned.

My papers clearly show the manager has put that I have been in employment and with the same company for over 10 years!!!! I'm not even in employment. I do get funded for my PHD but it doesn't count as employment at all.

Unless I started work at 16 I can't have been at the same place for 10 years.

I'm worried now. Do I say anything and cancel the contract? Maybe my genuine details were declined for credit so he made things up?

as far as I'm aware I have a decent credit rating but it's not perfect as I had a county court judgement against me a year ago (£10 left on a bill I knew nothing about until the judgement was made).

Aibu if I speak to the customer services about this? I don't want to get the manager in trouble.

user1481754448 Thu 15-Dec-16 17:49:15

He's also put that in in full time employment. Which I'm not.

WynterBlossom Thu 15-Dec-16 17:55:23

I'd leave it, don't say anything.
I got a contract whilst unemployed, as a student & whilst employed.

They can't find out otherwise anyway &!! I've had people like on my application in the past, I.E said I was a student when I wasn't at the time.

Nothing came of it & I have been with the phone company for 7 years

FizzBombBathTime Thu 15-Dec-16 17:58:53

What do you think will happen if you don't ring them and tell them?

user1481754448 Thu 15-Dec-16 18:00:07

I just think it's wrong. And I'm worried it's not allowed to take a contract knowing you got in with incorrect information. If I have trouble paying for any reason it might come up.

WynterBlossom Thu 15-Dec-16 18:03:31

I've had credit cards based on incorrect info & then struggled to pay them but nothing ever came up

LIZS Thu 15-Dec-16 18:03:53

There should be a cooling off period if you cancel now. He's thinking of his commission but you could both be culpable for fraud.

baconandeggies Thu 15-Dec-16 18:06:27

You're worried it'll look like YOU were lying if you run into difficulties paying your bill and someone at the network delves further?

How long ago did the contract sign up happen?

user1481754448 Thu 15-Dec-16 18:06:54

There's a 14 days period when you can cancel
For poor signal so I could say I have poor signal. I'm sure it's fraud in some way

bluebird1235 Thu 15-Dec-16 18:07:31

I got a mortgage based on my (accurate) employment details and then quit my job the day we completed on the house. They shouldn't care so long as you keep paying the payments on time.

Though do remember that if you don't keep up the payments you really will have a bad credit rating!

user1481754448 Thu 15-Dec-16 18:07:42

I think they will know it was him. There was someone else there the whole
Time and I said I was a student.

I signed the contract 6 days ago.

baconandeggies Thu 15-Dec-16 18:08:10

Personally I'd leave it if I was 100% happy with the package and completely sure I wouldn't miss payments.

irie Thu 15-Dec-16 18:10:10

Honestly you're over thinking this it's great that you're such an honest person but no one is going to delve into your contracts to that extent, they've got your money that's all they want they're moved onto getting the next customer signed up now!!

Hellmouth Thu 15-Dec-16 18:12:29

But didn't their system run a credit check? If your rating was really bad, regardless of what they put down, I think you would have failed it. It's not a problem, don't worry about it.

MadisonMontgomery Thu 15-Dec-16 18:13:12

Can you genuinely afford a contract phone, or is there a risk you might miss payments?

BellyBean Thu 15-Dec-16 18:20:22

But you signed the contract? Didn't that have the info the credit check was based on? You're also committing fraud if it was included and you signed to say it's correct.

youwouldthink Thu 15-Dec-16 18:21:29

You can't cancel the phone for poor signal if it works. There is an instant coverage checker available to see the coverage where you are based.

You took a contract out for probably 2 years and signed for it in store. If you are having second thoughts about your ability to pay now then by all means go back to the store and raise your case.

Had you had doubts about being able to afford the contract then you shouldn't have taken it out or should have taken a tarriff you felt you could.

No matter what your employment status states you agreed to take on the contract for the set time and the set amount

user1481754448 Thu 15-Dec-16 18:22:17

I was given the contract to sign but it was on its own. I only realised the inaccurate details
now when I noticed the credit check which was separate.

MrsMattBomer Thu 15-Dec-16 18:30:36

I'd just leave it. We got our mortgage based on us being in much worse paying jobs than we are now - as long as you pay they don't really care. The initial credit check is just a way of them denying people who would have no intention of paying (as it's very tough to get a CCJ for these things).

It was actually quite nice of the bloke to do that for you I think.

Mercedes519 Thu 15-Dec-16 18:37:32

I'm slightly shocked at how many people don't realise that this is fraud. The store manager and the OP are setting out to deliberately deceive the company. They have every right to cancel your contract and take the phone back AND make you pay for the whole contract anyway.

OP you are as culpable as the store manager as you know this.

Organisation do care and not just because they it costs them money if you don't pay. They have a legal responsibility to give you a contract you can afford so the checks are there for a very good reason. It doesn't sound like you are confident you can pay it back OP?

lovelearning Thu 15-Dec-16 18:47:21

I'm worried

If you're that worried, act within the cooling off period and cancel the contract.

www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/how-to-cancel-a-contract-without-being-penalised

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Thu 15-Dec-16 18:49:22

What's an iPhone S Plus? I'm asking as i don't know if you are in the U.K. Also how old the model is.

Bluntness100 Thu 15-Dec-16 18:52:16

You'd probably have failed the credit check if you have a CCJ, so to that end he did you a favour. I'd say nothing also, he'd get fired and if you can afford it, then just let it go.

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Thu 15-Dec-16 19:04:25

This sounds a bit odd. Phone companies will do a credit check on you but using a credit reference agency - they check against your address, electoral roll, CCJ history and other financial information. It's not just for credit worthiness it also to help prevent identity theft. Those credit checks don't verify your employment details - what company was this? If you are worried cancel the contract. There are companies that will accept credit impaired customers, have a Google and find one, that way you won't have to worry.

dingalong Thu 15-Dec-16 19:07:49

The manager I'm sure is commission - which explains this enthusiasm 😄

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now