Advanced search

SEN and statementing.

(18 Posts)
Radoxqueen Thu 15-Dec-16 16:40:59

Hi all,

Just after some advice really.

My child is on the SEN register for his behaviour, has his education plan, sees his counsellor weekly at his current school and we're currently waiting for the Ed Psych to do a second visit and report.

I've spoke to his teacher tonight for a bit of a catch up on how he's getting on school wise, and I'm shocked tbh.

My little one is 6 and currently in year 2 at mainstream and always had challenging behaviour. At first they said 'boundary issues' then realised even when all boundaries are in place he will just point blank refuse. Positive reinforcement doesn't work, taking away something he enjoys does work, not going on outings etc.

Tonight I got told by school he just can't make friends - he has the seeds of friendships then when someone goes near him he'll lash out and hit or kick. He refuses To go into school we have to chase him round the yard. He'll point blank refuse what teachers tell him to do - stop sitting on the desk, leave the class etc. There's times he's kicked off and because he's a danger they've had to take the children out until he calms down because he won't leave.

He was meant to sing carols today at church and refused To leave the school and lashed out at pupils teachers so spent the afternoon with the headteacher.

ATM they say he's no where near being statements, but AIBU to think this might be the best option? I feel awful about the other pupils getting their education disturbed and being kicked/hit. Maybe at a special needs school he could find close friends he could relate to? Like I say he's 6 at the minute, what happens when he grows and gets too big for mainstream teachers to restrain?

He was previously struggling with school work and quite behind but seems to have caught up with his reading and writing, they aren't concerned about this ATM. His behaviour at home isn't much better as he lashes out at his older brother when he doesn't get his own way.

I'm just at a loss and so worried he may actually harm someone soon

Aeroflotgirl Thu 15-Dec-16 16:47:00

Has he seen the community paeditician. I think you need to get a referral via Go or school nurse.

Aeroflotgirl Thu 15-Dec-16 16:51:06

Has he got a Ehcp plan or are school applying.

Radoxqueen Thu 15-Dec-16 16:51:44

He hasn't seen the paediatrician, the SENco doesn't think he has anything physically wrong with him and that the counsellor and Ed psych are all he needs

Babypythagorus Thu 15-Dec-16 16:55:31

Request a proper assessment of needs (

Having a statement (now called an EHCP) doesn't mean a kid has to go to special school, and you can say you don't want it at any time and it's gone. But the assessment lets you know what you're dealing with, and the EHCP means your kid has a right to the special support, if he needs it, to ensure he has positive outcomes.

Aeroflotgirl Thu 15-Dec-16 16:58:50

No might be something underlying such as Autism, ADHD, which Paeditrician can asses.

Manumission Thu 15-Dec-16 17:02:59

A SENCo pronounced on his physical health?!

What everyone else said. SENCOs aren't specialists. Go with your own judgement.

SantaIsABastard Thu 15-Dec-16 17:03:31

You don't need the school to apply, you can do it yourself. Read the cerebra guide when filling it in.

Radoxqueen Thu 15-Dec-16 17:09:49

Sorry I meant the SENCo and headteacher doesn't agree that he may have ADHD etc which I've always been worried about, they just said to wait for the Psych Ed really, would it be best to wait for her report (spring term they guess) or take him to a GP and get him assessed by a Paediatrician?

Thanks for the advice it means a lot smile

Manumission Thu 15-Dec-16 17:13:56

The problem is heads and SENCOs often get these things wrong (not all of them and not all the time, obviously) and school Ed Psychs are promised but don't always materialise to schedule.

If you go to the GP and ask for a referral, you're getting things moving and hopefully will gain access to a whole team of experts if you need them.

Radoxqueen Thu 15-Dec-16 17:15:42

He has had a psych ed come out, but they're planning on doing a second visit in January

GooseFriend Thu 15-Dec-16 17:19:02

Hi, the education, health and care plan process is run by the local authority rather than the school and you can request they assess your child - you don't need the school to ask or the school's permission. The local authority will then gather info from you and others and decide to whether to assess. If they assess it'll result in an education, health and care plan which will outline the support he must get and that'll be funded by the local authority.

It doesn't mean special school at all - in fact there is an presumption towards mainstream school.

Google 'send code of practice parents guide' - it sets it all out.

The assessment process takes around 20 weeks once they decide to assess so it isn't quick so I wouldn't wait until spring to see if they will assess him.

Good luck. Sounds tough.

Manumission Thu 15-Dec-16 17:31:42

It's your choice. You could wait and see what happens in January.

My own experience of SEN identification in schools (3DC across 4 primary schools in two LAs) is not great.

Your DS's issues don't sound minor, the staff are already making very definite pronouncements about his (lack of) needs and if it were me I'd go straight to the NHS.

QueenofLouisiana Thu 15-Dec-16 18:27:56

I have a draft letter requesting an assessment for an ehcp which I can send you tomorrow? It's on my work computer so can't send it tonight. All you do is fill in the blanks (although some detail is needed so give yourself forty minutes or so).

Radoxqueen Thu 15-Dec-16 19:43:19

That would be great help Queen! Thanks very much for everyone's help - I'm going to get him referred asap

QueenofLouisiana Thu 15-Dec-16 21:10:08

If you pm me an address, I'll email you. I'll also include ideas for what you may want to include.

allowlsthinkalot Thu 15-Dec-16 22:54:44

Are you in England, OP? The advice will be different if you're elsewhere in the uk

Radoxqueen Thu 15-Dec-16 23:15:03

Sorry, yes I'm in the UK.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: