Talk

Advanced search

To be outraged at Toblerone Christmas packaging

(77 Posts)
WooWoo1000 Thu 15-Dec-16 14:29:01

Outraged at the excessive packaging used for Christmas Toblerone...the normal packaging has a cardboard sleeve over the top, which is identical except for a Father Christmas hat on the mountain, what a waste! Don't get me started on the hard plastic cases used for Ferraro Roche! What other Christmas products have people noticed with excessive packaging and therefore will be boycotting next year?

BertieBotts Thu 15-Dec-16 14:30:37

Christmas Toblerone has always been packaged in that way. It's so they can remove the sleeve and sell them at full price after Christmas.

ShatnersBassoon Thu 15-Dec-16 14:32:20

So the Toblerone packaging reduces food waste. Pretty clever, really.

You can use Ferrero Rocher boxes for other things too, I suppose.

PhilODox Thu 15-Dec-16 14:33:45

YABU for purchasing Toblerone. It hasn't been any good for about 25 years!

Rainydayspending Thu 15-Dec-16 14:34:30

So funny. I find not buying specific Christmas products saves waste and money 😁

WooWoo1000 Thu 15-Dec-16 14:45:49

I see BertieBotts. I guess it's just sad that they need the additional sleeve in the first place - that people are more likely to buy it just because of the hat.

Rainy day, I totally agree, those Lynx sets for men spring to mind - everyday deodorant and shower gel plus moulded plastic and card box with film window.

wasonthelist Thu 15-Dec-16 14:46:57

What other Christmas products have people noticed with excessive packaging and therefore will be boycotting next year?

Almost everything and I'm already boycotting smile

toffeeboffin Thu 15-Dec-16 14:48:27

Are the Toblerone's now smaller?

If so, YANBU to boycott. Bloody triangles fgrin

Witchend Thu 15-Dec-16 14:48:59

They've both been packaged that way for years. the plastic boxes are excellent for little things like Hama beads, we always have a queue of people wanting them.

What is sadder is I can't find any dark chocolate toblerone this year. They've even got yucky white. sad

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 15-Dec-16 14:49:55

Come on fess up.You're just looking to feature in the DM holding a toblerone with your sad face, aren't you.
fgrin

1horatio Thu 15-Dec-16 14:52:15

Pff... Toblerones.

Lindt & Sprüngli! And Läderach... mjammm! 😂

Just kidding. Go to a local confiserie? They tend to have their chocolate in these seethrough plastic bags or similarly simple packaging?

JacquesHammer Thu 15-Dec-16 14:56:35

I love the FR hard plastic boxes - we use them loads around the house - hair grips, bobble, batteries - they're great and far more useful than cardboard packagin smile

dingdongthewitchishere Thu 15-Dec-16 15:05:17

JacquesHammer

Completely agree with you!

quirkychicken Thu 15-Dec-16 15:12:27

Go to a local confiserie? They tend to have their chocolate in these seethrough plastic bags or similarly simple packaging?

yes, go to your friendly neighbourhood sweet shop, what with there being thousands of them around the coutnry

wink

EverySongbirdSays Thu 15-Dec-16 15:12:41

The ones I hate are the childrens toys that are tied to the box with those black things that don't come off.

foxychox Thu 15-Dec-16 15:13:13

Not Christmas related, but any pack of brioche that has them individually wrapped - ARGH! Tescos and M&S holding out on implementing this lunacy so far....

EverySongbirdSays Thu 15-Dec-16 15:15:00

I want to live were horatio lives!

Local confisirie you say ? More than one?

Do you also have an artisan bakery?

Where is this magical land?

8kidswhoscounting Thu 15-Dec-16 15:21:33

Individually wrapped brioche are great for lunchboxes though.....

1horatio Thu 15-Dec-16 15:21:48

Oh gosh, now I'm embarrassed blush

It's just that I'm from Switzerland and they are really fairly common back home. And they tend to either have plastic bags or simple cardboard boxes (so, not a lot of packaging...)

I live in London, btw.

MrsMattBomer Thu 15-Dec-16 15:22:03

I actually get some use out of those Ferrero Rocher tubs...

Am I the only person who still buys them? I only do it so I can 'ironically' make the "Ooh, ambassador, you are spoiling us!" joke to my kids who don't understand the reference.

Sparlklesilverglitter Thu 15-Dec-16 15:23:53

Buy the non Christmas ones in £1 land they have loads of the old shape ones milk and white chocolate

Wex Thu 15-Dec-16 15:24:38

Never mind the packaging, where are the white Toblerones?
DS (18) has asked for a white Toblerone for Christmas and I can't find one anywhere. He has helpfully told me that they sell them in airport duty free shops hmm

TheSilveryPussycat Thu 15-Dec-16 15:25:22

I thought I didn't like Ferror Rocher. Until I tried a dark chocolate one.

Why don't they sell ones with all dark chocolate? Instead of the pesky few they deign to put with the ordinary ones?

CoffeeAndOranges Thu 15-Dec-16 15:26:52

At least the cardboard sleeves are recyclable or even compostable. The foil would also be recyclable so actually it's quite eco friendly packaging (if you don't count the food miles the chocolate ingredients have done plus travel costs from Switzerland). Most other chocolate has non-recyclable plastic packaging which is more annoying imo.

I like the white Toblerones fsmile

Sparlklesilverglitter Thu 15-Dec-16 15:27:27

Wex Poundland has the white toblerone I am currently eating one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now