Talk

Advanced search

Bit victim blamey? And putting being attacked equal with being an attacker?

(262 Posts)
JustBeyond Thu 15-Dec-16 10:37:20

That's my opinion, what do you think?

www.facebook.com/dorsetpolice/photos/a.718756231475885.1073741828.568402286511281/1618761368142029/?type=3

myoriginal3 Thu 15-Dec-16 10:39:20

No. It's about the dangers of getting drunk and making decisions you wouldn't normally make.

StiickEmUp Thu 15-Dec-16 10:39:21

The police took the criticism really badly !

5madthings Thu 15-Dec-16 10:41:22

It is a bit victim blamey and yes I would walk home alone at night, and if I were attacked it wouldn't be my fault.

Is this aimed more at men though ie the consent bit?

I think the bits re drinking, driving, drugs etc are good but it needs tweaking.

myoriginal3 Thu 15-Dec-16 10:43:15

Is it all not just advice you'd give your own child though?

Hardshoulder Thu 15-Dec-16 10:47:22

The 'walking home at night' bit suggests victim-blaming, but then it seems to me to get more even-handed on issues of drink driving, fights and the bit about consent, which is clearly aimed at men and (possibly?) atones for the suggestion that women walking home alone are the problem rather than rapists.

I don't think it's a brilliant poster by any means, but it's trying to stuff a lot of messages into one image.

myoriginal3 Thu 15-Dec-16 10:49:35

www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/terrified-woman-posts-live-facebook-9445691.amp

This link proves the sense in not walking home on your own. Similar advice from police in this article

JustBeyond Thu 15-Dec-16 10:49:39

I think the bits about "bad" things you would do after drinking are brilliant and should be promoted. I don't like that they have included things where you could be the victim alongside. If that makes sense?

A separate poster with these would be a lot less, umm, dodgy.

myoriginal3 Thu 15-Dec-16 10:52:01

A police spokesperson said: "When planning a night out, stick with friends, charge your mobile and think about how you will get home safely. If using a private hire, book it in advance and use a licensed taxi if you are unable to arrange for family or a friend to pick you up. On no account leave with a stranger."

From the article linked to above

JellyBelli Thu 15-Dec-16 10:55:50

I dont think giving people safety advice to prevent an attack is victim blaming.
I do think some men might regret their behaviour after the event and need to be told to stop and think. But I dont think its right to put the 2 together.

Plexie Thu 15-Dec-16 10:56:11

I don't think it's victim blaming. I agree 'Walk home alone' isn't ideal, since many people do that in daily life, not just on drunken nights out. However it's about making judgements about the safest way to get home, which is the sensible thing to do anyway regardless of time of day and level of sobriety.

'Walk home in sub-zero temperatures without a coat' would have been better but difficult to fit in.

I particularly like that they included 'Disregard consent' (not just putting the emphasis on potential victims to keep themselves self) and to take responsibility for other people (not leaving a friend in a vulnerable situation/drink & drive). Although it made me wonder how many people, even when sober, would intervene to stop someone drink-driving.

WorraLiberty Thu 15-Dec-16 10:56:41

Reminding people that alcohol can seriously impair their judgements/decision making, does sometimes come across as victim blaming.

However, I'm not sure there's a lot they can do about that, other than include posters addressed to would be attackers in their campaign.

Have they done that?

Tbh, all the advice on that poster is the same as I would give to my loved ones.

Yes, many people would walk home alone when they're sober. It's not saying you shouldn't.

It's asking whether you would make the same decision, if you hadn't drank alcohol and lots of people wouldn't.

JustBeyond Thu 15-Dec-16 10:59:53

Plexie, I also love that they said "disregard consent". Though "assume consent" would be good too

I by no means hate the entire thing, I just think it could do with some tweaking smile

AccioMerlot Thu 15-Dec-16 11:02:39

"If you were sober, would you walk home at night alone?"

Er, yes. HTH.

And it's not that crazy a decision, if I'm driving through our town late-ish, I see plenty of women walking alone.

tangerino Thu 15-Dec-16 11:06:15

I walk alone at night all the time.

I don't mind the poster or find it particularly victim-blaming. There's nothing wrong with advising someone to take steps to keep themselves safe, as long as you don't imply that they are therefore to blame for what happens if they ignore the advice.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 15-Dec-16 11:13:21

I don't like it either tbh.

Walking home alone isn't always a choice. If your friends ditch you or you reject the lift due to driver being high or drunk..

Kind of says your dammed if you do ajd dammed if you don't.

And you should be able to walk home ffs.

And as fir getting drunk, well that may not be the intention but friends buy you doubles etc when you didn't ask fir them and you are drunken than you thought again not a choice someone made.

Ignoring consent and getting into fights or getting high however are choices people make.

So basically a person leaves early due to friends trying to get them drunk and the driver not fit to take them home and tegy are as much to blame fir their attack/accident as if they got high and drunk and git into car with someone who was high or drunk?

Don't like it sorry.

whiteonesugar Thu 15-Dec-16 11:14:47

I don't think its victim blaming, anything could happen if you walk home alone at night, if you're drunk its more dangerous. You could stumble and fall in the road, you could pass out if you were really drunk and get hypothermia. It's not just about being attacked.

JustBeyond Thu 15-Dec-16 11:18:40

Thanks Giles, that post explains the iffy-ness better than I could smile

FizzySweeties Thu 15-Dec-16 11:20:33

Good grief. That poster is trying to make people think about making poorer choices/judgements when drunk. The people taking offence really are the professionally offended. It really shouldn't need to spell out that they don't mean everyone does all of these things at once, or if you were sober you definitely wouldn't do those things. Anyone with half an ounce of common sense knows perfectly well the message they are trying to send out.

Saltedcaramel2016 Thu 15-Dec-16 11:20:51

I think it's fine.

It is about taking risks you wouldn't take if you were sober. The walk alone thing is about walking somewhere alone you wouldn't normally walk alone at night if you were sober.

I would advise all these things to my sons if they were older!

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 15-Dec-16 11:22:18

No its basically saying that even if you are sensible and leave early and sober and don't get onto any fights and cars with drunk people you are as fucked as if you did the opposite...

FizzySweeties Thu 15-Dec-16 11:24:45

Giles there are a lot of people who know when sober that walking home alone in the dark is not a good idea, but when drunk, judgement is affected for fact. It's not victim blaming, it's preventative measures to try and help there be no victims in the first place.

It's a good message to remind people that no matter how tempting, walking home alone after a night out drinking is not a good idea. It's not even just that you could be attacked by someone else. You could get lost, fall over and hurt yourself, there was a girl who froze to death in the snow alone one year after a night out. You could wander into the road and get run over.

WorraLiberty Thu 15-Dec-16 11:25:38

Are people deliberately missing the point about walking home alone?

Lots of people walk home alone when they're sober, that's not an issue.

The question is directed towards those who don't and wouldn't take that decision, had their judgement not been impaired by alcohol.

FizzySweeties Thu 15-Dec-16 11:26:14

Eesh, don't bother, Worra....

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 15-Dec-16 11:28:08

Right and waiting fir ages on Xmas eve/new years Eve fir taxis is any "safer?"

Is it right to basically put all the responsibility of someone's safety onto everyone else in the group?

So someone is unable to get a taxi walks home with a friend instead..so who walks the other friend home?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now