Talk

Advanced search

Anyone with an experience of a hysterectomy

(24 Posts)
oohlalala Thu 15-Dec-16 08:46:36

Hi, my DM is going to have a hysterecromy in the next few weeks. Shes 70, and usually looks after our DC once a week, and also the same for my siblings children (3 days in total). The guide I've been told for recovery is 6 weeks. I'm thinking this is a bit optomistic. She loves having the GC but I want her to recover fully, how long do you think I need to find cover for? I was considering 4 months?

Birdsgottafly Thu 15-Dec-16 08:52:25

How old are the children?

My Mum had a full hysterectomy in her 60's she went back to work after six weeks, but it was an admin roll.

How is her general health, if she cuts herself, what is her recovery like?

ClemFandango86 Thu 15-Dec-16 09:06:10

My mum had a hysterectomy 10 weeks ago and is still in recovery really. She's 57 and quite fit and healthy but it's been the ability to be on her feet for longer periods and driving that have been a bit of an issue as it's still uncomfortable ( she also had repair work due to a prolapse so it's slightly different scenario.) She also seems to be really tired but that might be more due to how my mum reacts to medicine etc.

I would say about 3 months minimum rest for your mum smile

user1481201991 Thu 15-Dec-16 09:16:39

I'm in my 40s and had one a few years ago. It was a rough time for me and it took 12 weeks to get back to work. This was a full abdominal hysterectomy with a 7 inch incision. I wish your Mum all the best.

oohlalala Thu 15-Dec-16 09:21:10

Thanks for responding, my two are 4 and 2. My DN's are 3, 9 and a baby. I would say she is fit for her age and she has always worked with children so is very good with them, but I can respect its a knackering job and I don't think she would admit that to me. I was told 6 months by a nursing friend, but I actually think she'd miss them too much, but if it takes 6 months I guess maybe it should be. She has previously had failed prolapse ops too.

Costacoffeeplease Thu 15-Dec-16 09:27:48

I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago, I'd say a minimum of 3-4 months for full but basic recovery - it is an extremely knackering operation, I slept so much in the first 3-4 weeks. After about 6 months you feel more normal with better energy levels etc

Squills Thu 15-Dec-16 10:13:56

I had a total hysterectomy in my late 40's. I bounced back very quickly - well within six weeks. Obviously it varies from individual to individual - generally I would think the older you are when operated on the longer the healing time will be.

Yoksha Thu 15-Dec-16 10:30:48

I had a hysterectomy at 42. I was advised after 2-3 wks (depending on my physical strength)to begin each day with a walk. By the end of the week I was walking round the block. Took about 20mins, but was a gauge for me to assess my physical condition. I also recommend gentle swimming. First time I went into the local swimming pool it was strange. My body felt all wrong in it's alighnment. Ever so gently I gained lower abdominal strength. It helped in re-educating my posture to adapt to a structure being removed that supported quite a lot of my internal physical body. When I went for my 6wks check-up, the Consultant was pleased I'd followed the post operative advise.

Also, just to add, I ate a diet rich in apricots & beetroot to build my heamoglobin level both prior to & after my operation. HTH OP

brummiesue Thu 15-Dec-16 10:39:03

Wow 3 days a week looking after a baby, toddlers and school age children is a lot for a 70yr old! I would give it a good few months, its a big op and she needs to recover properly, maybe check if she is still happy to do it all after, it may be getting a bit too much for her

GreatFuckability Thu 15-Dec-16 10:39:41

I mean, I had one and was back looking after my children after a week as my husband went back to work, but I was in my mid-twenties which is a different kettle of fish altogether. I think 6 weeks to 3 months is around average, but it varies person to person.

slinkysaluki Thu 15-Dec-16 15:49:06

Depends what op really it is a full abdominal hysterectomy she is having ? I had one when I was 42 because I had fibroids and wasn't able to have the op done vaginally. It takes longer to recover from if it's abdominal. I didn't really feel myself for at least 6 months. I went back to work after 6 weeks but having a fairly physical job I ended up having to have more time off. I had quite a lot if trouble with hormones etc after as well because I kept my ovaries as I didn't want to have the menopause to deal with on top it. I'm 48 now and don't miss the awful periods and oain I used to have.

Sprinklestar Thu 15-Dec-16 16:28:05

I'd say 6 months but don't put any pressure on her. Poor woman! And at 70 do you really think it's fair that she's doing all that childcare? Now might be a good time to think about some alternative arrangements.

grannytomine Thu 15-Dec-16 16:33:09

I had hysterectomy and ovaries removed abdominally. The next morning I was up and had a shower, I was discharged a day early. The next day, day 5, I cooked a meal for the family. Was back at work after six weeks, I had two kids still at home aged 10 and 12 and a disabled husband. I think it is very different at 70, I was in my mid 40s.

RegTheMonkey1 Thu 15-Dec-16 16:33:31

I had a full abdominal one at the age of 42. The recommended time off work was 12 weeks, and during the first couple of weeks you are not meant to even lift a full kettle of water, or hoover. It is, as another poster said, very knackering. I would say six weeks at the age of 70 is very, very optimistic.

StillMedusa Thu 15-Dec-16 16:35:32

I had an abdominal hysterectomy and went back to work after 6 weeks... but shouldn't have. I was absolutely exhausted and tbh did myself no favours as I have more problems 10 years down the line.

At 70 ..even a very fit 70, she will need at least 4 months recovery...possibly longer tbh. On the plus side she should feel like a new woman eventually!

greenfolder Thu 15-Dec-16 16:38:22

I went back after 6 weeks due to la k of si ck pay.
But i just sat in an office. I think your 4 months is realistic

grannytomine Thu 15-Dec-16 16:39:40

I was told about the kettle as well. I couldn't understand the difference with having a C.Section, you still have the big abdominal cut and I was just left with a 10lb baby and left to get on with it.

However, I think the age is very significant.

I was told 6 weeks was normal for returning to work.

stopfuckingshoutingatme Thu 15-Dec-16 16:46:34

I had a similar surgery and it took me a good 8 weeks ! So yes give her ample ample time to recover and be open to different childcare options too maybe in the future x

user1481201991 Thu 15-Dec-16 17:10:45

My scar area still felt vulnerable/tender for months afterwards, well after I'd returned to work. I remember being out walking and I got worried every time dogs were off lead near me in case they jumped up where my scar was. I suspect I would have been nervous around young children too for the same reason. I don't know if this is normal or if it was just me.

slinkysaluki Thu 15-Dec-16 17:37:06

You get numbness around the tummy/scar that takes a long time to go

spidey66 Thu 15-Dec-16 20:12:01

I had one last year age 49.

I was told 6 weeks but wasn't fit enough to go back to work for 3 months. I found it draining.

I still have an occasional sharp pain in my abdomen which I believe is down to internal stitches.

I had it for a massive fibroid (over 20 cms long...the size of a 7month pregnancy). The fibroid had distended my abdomen and my uterus was under my ribs! They nearly had to do a vertical cut which increases the recovery time as the cut is going against the waythe muscle lies. In theend they went for a bikini line but I reckon I must have required a lot ofinternat stitches which is why I still get the odd pain (haven't been told that, but's what I reckon.)

With regards to yourmum-I would say at least 3-4 months. My main concern would be the baby and toddlers as they'd need a lot more lifting and bending down. At least the older ones won't need toiletting, dressing, carrying around etc and may be able to do odd jobs such as carrying in shopping etc.

IndigoSister Thu 15-Dec-16 22:40:37

I'm in my mid 40's and had one earlier this year. I was back to work (10 hours a week in an office) and driving after 6 weeks but definitely wasn't fully recovered. I wouldn't have wanted to be picking children up at that point.

I would probably look at cover for 4 months and then maybe only part days for a bit longer.

Patchouli666 Thu 15-Dec-16 22:53:21

Ispidey66 that'll be adhesions and scar tissue. I've had four c sections and when twisting in certain directions after caesarean 3 and feeling pain I mentioned it to my obstetrician and she said adhesions. Point proved during caesarean no 4 lots of adhesions to bladder and ovaries which tear slightly in moving in some directions and caused intense burning pain. Worse now after fourth caesarean

cerebellopontineangle Thu 15-Dec-16 22:56:35

I'm with Squills. I was late 40s and couldnt wait to get back to work before the six weeks was up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now