Talk

Advanced search

blowing my savings on a trip around the world

(78 Posts)
Winteriscominginnit Wed 14-Dec-16 23:22:02

I'm in my mid thirties and I've spent most of my adult life studying as well as holding down a full-time job. In about a year I will finally finish and my DH and I have been thinking about going away for a few (4-5) months before I look for a new job. I am almost convinced I won't have too many problems finding a job whilst back and my DH will be able to take a career break. It would blow our savings (total 20k). Part of me is thinking that I would never regret going around the world but another part is slightly nervous about having to start saving all over again. No DC, no credit card debts and we would rent our house out for the time we are away. I know that we could compromise and do a shorter/cheaper trip but all I've ever wanted is just to forget about everything and go traveling for a bit. It has kept me going all those years of studying. Is it just cold feet..?

DearMrDilkington Wed 14-Dec-16 23:23:32

I'd do it. It would be an amazing experience and you'll definitely regret it if you don't go.

PossumInAPearTree Wed 14-Dec-16 23:23:44

Do it. You've already got a house which is more than a lot of people. Once you're working you'll replenish the savings.

Do it.

MinesAGin Wed 14-Dec-16 23:27:16

Well, it depends! What were the savings for, originally? If you plan to have a family you could do a hell of a lot with that money. If you don't intend to, then how long would it take you to save that amount up again? But otherwise, definitely go for it!

Footinmouthasusual Wed 14-Dec-16 23:27:23

Do it in a heart beat op.

We nearly lost our dd aged 12 completely out of the blue when all our plans and life seemed sorted.

You never know how life will pan out so live it.

PinkFluffiUnicorn Wed 14-Dec-16 23:27:50

Do it, life is way to short, enjoy life, have you seen the film 'up'?
Just start saving when your back, have wonderful memories to share with your dh forever

Boogers Wed 14-Dec-16 23:28:10

Tell us more about your itinerary. Where are you going? What will you be doing?

(asked by someone who is envious of your situation! Of course you should do it, why wouldn't you? Go for it!!) smile

LittleBoat Wed 14-Dec-16 23:28:34

20K on a 5 month trip! I would regret that. Can you do it on 15K? Keep a little cushion just in case?

antimatter Wed 14-Dec-16 23:29:20

Do it! You can probably make it last longer than 5 months if you are careful.
I envy you that opportunity!

Mommawoo Wed 14-Dec-16 23:33:06

Oh god do it! Life experience is way more valuable than material posessions. When you're on your deathbed you won't be wishing you made more sensible financial decisions during your life.

Fr33F00d Wed 14-Dec-16 23:35:05

I thought I would retire, then start travelling

The best decision I made was to travel when younger
If you are lucky, you will have energy and your health

Some people like to stay at home
Some people like to travel

20k is a big budget, some places your money will go a long way

You must have travel insurance

Go for it !

DearMrDilkington Wed 14-Dec-16 23:45:08

Where are you planning on going?smile

OliviaBensonOnAGoodDay Wed 14-Dec-16 23:54:06

Oh definitely do it!

piglover Wed 14-Dec-16 23:54:14

I bet you could do it on quite a bit less than 20K if you did some planning.

BackforGood Thu 15-Dec-16 00:00:00

I'd do the trip, but spend a LOT less than £20K on it.
I think you'll always regret it if you don't go travelling now, but I also think you'll regret it if you blow 15 years of saving on what is, in essence a holiday.
Different I suppose if you know you are going to walk into a job paying you £100K a year, but I presume you would have mentioned if you were.

flissfloss65 Thu 15-Dec-16 00:05:52

My ex dh and I took nine months off and travelled round the world. Rented house out, used some of our savings and had an amazing adventure.

Go for it!

Tumtitum Thu 15-Dec-16 00:15:36

Do it, but you don't need to spend it all! Depends where you go. I spent £8k in 8 months but did some expensive things I probably wouldn't do again

reindeerbitesback Thu 15-Dec-16 00:18:34

Do it, OP - live my dream! And most importantly... keep us updated so we can live through you!

HerrenaHarridan Thu 15-Dec-16 00:27:40

You can make it go a lot further than that.
10k for travelling, 10k to come back to.
I just did 3 months on 3k

Take it slow, spread out big expenses like flights and travel accross land, really through the country.

Do it, you will regret not doing it xxxx

Smitff Thu 15-Dec-16 00:38:32

Do it. Don't spend it all, spend enough to go the places you really want to go to and a couple of indulgences, but keep enough back so you don't stress and worry while you're away. But definitely do it. You're amazingly fortunate to be able to, well done!

oldlaundbooth Thu 15-Dec-16 00:46:42

You have to do it.

But please start a thread about your travels on here!

Lots of people want to live vicariously through you grin(backpack emoticon)

ivykaty44 Thu 15-Dec-16 00:49:32

Why wouldn't you go?

It's not a dress rehearsal you know, there's no second chance....

gleam Thu 15-Dec-16 01:07:42

Sounds cool. But make sure you have decent insurance for your house that covers any potential damage by tenants.

EBearhug Thu 15-Dec-16 01:15:17

I agree - do it, make sure you have insurance for stuff left here, travel insurance that covers all the activities you might want to do (lots of policies don't cover things which seem pretty ordinary,) and save at least half to come back to.

If you're doing normal backpacking, you've got loads of budget - it's only if you're intending to do 5 star hotels round western Europe that it'd look like you'd have nothing left.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now