Talk

Advanced search

AIBU being worried and a feeling almost of inevitability about this :(

(23 Posts)
SeenYourArse Wed 14-Dec-16 20:35:05

I have a lump in my left armpit,it's now around the size of a marrow fat/processed pea when I first noticed it it was around the size of a garden pea. That was about 9 months ago... I know! But in fairness I've had a baby in this time. I'm worried about it as its grown,and we tried for so long for our LB and I adore him and it almost feels too good to be true that he's finally here and doing great and just such a joy that it almost feels inevitable that it's something sinister as having my LB seems to perfect to be true as life doesn't seem to ever run smoothly for us. Genuinely has anyone ever had anything similar and it not be bad news? Have doctors appointment Friday and dreading it

namedaccount Wed 14-Dec-16 20:37:00

You're seeing the GP which is good.

Most lumps and bumps are not sinister.

flowers

Pickanameanyoldname Wed 14-Dec-16 20:41:14

Yes I've had something similar, I ignored it for several months until I told DH and he gave me a major bollocking for not seeing the GP yet - it was a harmless cyst - an "epidermal inclusive cyst" or something.

When you think about that area, hairs, sweat, deodorant, etc, there's a really high chance that it's just some kind of cyst/blocked pores/inflamed hair follicle.
flowers

Musicinthe00ssucks Wed 14-Dec-16 20:43:59

flowers it really is probably just a cyst. I'm glad that you have made a Dr appointment but try not to worry in the meantime.

MrsMoastyToasty Wed 14-Dec-16 20:48:02

It might be a blocked sweat gland.

Titsalinabumsquash Wed 14-Dec-16 21:09:56

I've had a lump in my right armpit for years, I panicked majorly when I found it, it was the size of a baby pea, several years later is like a large grape and when I'm unwell it swells to golfball size, the GP says she'd be happy for it to stay there forever at any size and it not be sinister because it's a cyst.

baconandeggies Wed 14-Dec-16 21:14:03

I always thought these were lymph glands - they enlarge when you're fighting off viruses etc - but best check it out.

AliceInHinterland Wed 14-Dec-16 21:18:15

Are you breastfeeding? I have milk ducts in my arm pits that get engorged. It goes without saying that you still MUST go to the GP.
By the way life doesn't run smoothly for most people. I understand your feeling that things are too good to be true, I've felt like that, it could be post-natal anxiety, and the next time something goes wrong (as things do) your hypothesis will be proved right making you more anxious. Maybe mention that to the GP too.

allthatnonsense Wed 14-Dec-16 21:21:56

I had a lump on my groin. It was a lymph node. It stayed for ages and I used to worry.
It wasn't cancer and eventually it went.
Good luck.

CalmItKermitt Wed 14-Dec-16 21:32:39

Far more likely to be something minor than not.

I know exactly what you mean about the feeling of inevitability. A while ago I became unhealthily convinced that I was bound to get a serious illness - everything else in life was the best it's ever been. Turned out I needed anti depressants.

SeenYourArse Wed 14-Dec-16 21:42:20

Thanks everyone this has helped,I am a bit anxious but it's just because we wanted him so much for so long and I'm so blessed for him to be here. Sounds bonkers but I feel like if I ever took him for granted I might tempt fate,I do envy people who just have a healthy baby easily and never worry for a moment about things going wrong when,because we went through so much to have a baby i do worry. Most people I know never think anything other than presuming they will have a healthy baby and a great life,I'm very aware how much can and does go wrong at all stages and usually to people who never think it will to them!
No not breast feeding unfortunately,I had an operation only 2 months before I eventually fell pregnant and couldn't produce anywhere near enough milk sadly.

SeenYourArse Wed 14-Dec-16 21:42:45

After just reading that back I've realised I'm a bit nuts I think sad

JellyBelli Wed 14-Dec-16 21:46:12

I had a lump in my breast and had a biopsy. they told me that over 80% are harmless (which actually doesnt console you until you find out one way or the other.)
Best thing to do is get it looked at. Good luck.

cinnamongirl1976 Wed 14-Dec-16 22:25:25

I had a lump in my breast and also my armpit. The armpit lump was a cyst. It went. I had a mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy. It turned out to be nothing (it was related to pregnancy: my daughter was about 8 weeks old at the time). Good luck. X

SolomanDaisy Wed 14-Dec-16 22:30:53

Oh, I have one at the minute and have a two month old! Dr has checked it several times while I've been there for other things and it's nothing to worry about.

AliceInHinterland Wed 14-Dec-16 22:31:19

You're not nuts, you've just been through a lot and may need some support to fully enjoy your lovely baby. I'm sorry that you're sad about the breastfeeding thing too.
You are taking the most positive possible steps now whatever the underlying cause. You can deal with this.

charleyfarleysaunt Wed 14-Dec-16 22:33:45

My first lump was gristle apparently... yeah that made feel elegant

Have had lots since and they have been cysts which get aspirated

So yeah, not all lumps are 'bad'

But really, you do need to go and get it checked ASAP

Wookiecookies Wed 14-Dec-16 22:34:38

Yep, had a deep cyst, it needed to be syringed. It was the result of a blocked milk duct from B'feeding. Try not to worry too much, as it is highly unlikely to be sinister OP, having said that, you must not wait so long to see the gp in the future! waggling concerned finger at OP

Please keep us updated flowers

TheProblemOfSusan Wed 14-Dec-16 22:36:21

Oh love, you're not nuts, you're worried. Of course you're worried, what a huge amount you've gone through.

Well done for booking the GP appointment and tell them all of this, not just about the lump, let them know you're worried and sad about the breastfeeding too. FWIW from a random internet stranger, I think your feelings are probably quite a normal reaction to all of this but worth mentioning anyway.

SeenYourArse Wed 14-Dec-16 22:51:46

Thanks so much everyone I will update Friday evening after my GP visit

Mouseinahole Thu 15-Dec-16 07:34:42

Congratulations on your baby.
10 years ago I had breast cancer! I am now 72 and enjoying my nine grandchildren. It is extremely likely that your lump is harmless but if it isn't over 80% of breast cancer patients are successfully treated.
flowers

KittyCatty20 Wed 21-Dec-16 09:49:54

Hope everything went ok at your appointment. Xx

Butterpuff Wed 21-Dec-16 10:12:27

I've had biopsy's twice for breast lumps. Both times nothing sinister. One was about 10 years ago the other 5 both have now gone away by them selves. Though in the breast that had had them I did get more problems with mastitis while feeding my DD so I suspect they are still there just shrunk.

Good luck with the GP. Its all quick and professional.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now