Talk

Advanced search

For not being allowed to sign the teacher's card?

(266 Posts)
BigApple11 Wed 14-Dec-16 15:41:08

I haven't put into my dc's class teachers' Christmas collection, for a few reasons.
Namely they ( the class reps) want £5 per teacher. That's £15 for my DS and £10 for my DD.
I also have an older child.
Christmas costs us a fortune.
The teachers are paid by my taxes.
Yes they do a brilliant job.
I bake them cakes throughout the year.
I help in class every week.
AIBU to think I should be allowed to sign the bloody card even though I haven't put into the collection???
The class rep pisses me off but that's besides the point. I think

Foldedtshirt Wed 14-Dec-16 15:44:34

How petty of the class reps hmm
YANBU

DontTouchTheMoustache Wed 14-Dec-16 15:44:57

Just do your own card? I understand why they don't want you to sign if you haven't chipped in what everyone else has but £5 per teacher is an awful lot so I also understand why you don't want to.

GeillisTheWitch Wed 14-Dec-16 15:45:41

Get your DCs to make the teachers a card with a nice personal message inside. That will shit all over the class rep's one.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Wed 14-Dec-16 15:46:02

That's a lot of money shock I wouldn't pay it either.

That said I do think that only those who contribute to the collection should sign the card.

Just send your own one in.

Wolfiefan Wed 14-Dec-16 15:47:20

I wouldn't pay. I would send my own card if I wanted to. I wouldn't expect to sign a card to accompany a gift I hadn't contributed to.

FizzBombBathTime Wed 14-Dec-16 15:48:22

I was with you until the taxes comment

CockacidalManiac Wed 14-Dec-16 15:48:23

Class collections for teachers?! When did this start?

SoupDragon Wed 14-Dec-16 15:49:44

Buy your own card!

MeetMeAtMidnight Wed 14-Dec-16 15:51:21

Send your own card. Quite reasonable not to want to contribute but unreasonable to want to sign a card that gives the appearance you did contribute.

Groovee Wed 14-Dec-16 15:52:18

When we did this it was usually only those who put in who got the card to sign. I can't see why you wouldn't want to get your own card if you aren't putting in.

HeCantBeSerious Wed 14-Dec-16 15:54:26

I do a Xmas collection. Instead of gifts for the teachers we buy something for the class (usually Lego). People who don't donate don't get to sign the card. Why would they?

SaltyRock Wed 14-Dec-16 15:54:30

Just get your own card. Why should you get to sign if you didn't put in? YABU.

Arfarfanarf Wed 14-Dec-16 15:55:13

Well, the teachers (plural. Or indeed singular) arent paid by your taxes unless you're hugely rich. Most people arent even net contributers and the whole my taxes pay your salary attitude is kind of tacky, tbh.

Just give the teacher your own card.
If you want to be on the card that basically is saying here are the people that contributed to the gift - contribute to the gift. If you dont want to be part of the collection then that is fine (and sensible. It's a dear do! ) but you can't have it both ways.

YelloDraw Wed 14-Dec-16 15:56:23

People who don't donate don't get to sign the card. Why would they?

What if they donated e.g. £2 not the 'suggested' £10?

BewtySkoolDropowt Wed 14-Dec-16 15:57:00

You must pay a lot of taxes if you pay for 5 members of staff all by yourself!!

DixieWishbone Wed 14-Dec-16 15:57:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DontTouchTheMoustache Wed 14-Dec-16 15:58:54

Yello in that case they would have to write really small... grin

MyKingdomForBrie Wed 14-Dec-16 15:58:59

Of course YABU! You don't have to contribute but you can't take credit for the gift others paid for!

Waltermittythesequel Wed 14-Dec-16 15:59:05

The card is from the contributors and you didn't contribute. Why should you get to sign the card??

Genuinely don't get this!

FilledSoda Wed 14-Dec-16 16:01:15

You need to send your own card , otherwise you look like you're trying to get credit for contributing to the gift.
Stupid and expensive system they have going on there.
What do they do with all the money?
Do they choose a gift?
Minefield

HeCantBeSerious Wed 14-Dec-16 16:04:38

What if they donated e.g. £2 not the 'suggested' £10?

We don't have a suggested amount. Some give £3 and others £10. They all sign the card.

NapQueen Wed 14-Dec-16 16:04:39

God who can be bothered with this sort of shite?

I'm a nod hello at the odd parent (the ones I catch eye with not like specific ones!) type person. I certainly couldn't be doing with getting involved with stuff like this.

I've bought a small token gift for the teacher and ta and dd will sign the card from her. That's enough surely?

PeteSwotatoes Wed 14-Dec-16 16:06:02

YABU for the taxes comment. Do you realise that public sector workers pay tax as well?

Tomorrowillbeachicken Wed 14-Dec-16 16:06:03

Are you pay 100k plus in taxes a year?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now