Advanced search

to think that i need more medical help

(40 Posts)
myoriginal3 Tue 13-Dec-16 13:52:23

I've said it on other threads so I'm not really oversharing.

I am struggling massively with my mental health.

I was violently raped on the15 September.

I appear to have developed agoraphobia

I am doing well with leaving the house in the past two days.


I can't stop bloody crying. I even wake up with tears everywhere.

I'm under a home treatment team which are useless.

How da actual Fuck do I get over this?

They can't consider counselling as I am drinking and agoraphobic.

EveOnline2016 Tue 13-Dec-16 13:56:21

How about online counselling.

LapinR0se Tue 13-Dec-16 13:57:57

That sounds awful you poor thing.
Have you been given any medication to help you cope with leaving the house? Propranolol can help a lot. It could at least enable you to get to your counselling.

Elroya1 Tue 13-Dec-16 14:08:20

Look up a support group.

GoneGirl1234 Tue 13-Dec-16 14:08:42

That is terrible, I'm so sorry to hear this.

Can your GP refer you for counselling via telephone? My sister has regular calls with a counsellor that was arranged via GP. The time from referral to first consultation was a couple of weeks.

Are you able to pay for counselling yourself and arrange Skype consultations or home visits? The Counselling Directory website ( is searchable by postcode and each profile will list whether they offer phone/Skype/home visits. I do appreciate that paying for it yourself is not ideal though.

Any charities for people that have been through sexual assault that might be able to help with counselling?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 13-Dec-16 14:11:04

Propranolol isn't suitable for usage with more than a light alcohol intake.

I'd agree telephone counselling, maybe? You may have more avenues without the drinking, would you consider trying to get some help with that too?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 13-Dec-16 14:11:20

Oh and I'm so sorry flowers

Coldilox Tue 13-Dec-16 14:19:32

Is there a Sexual Assault Referral Centre in your area? They are excellent in providing support.

Rrross1ges Tue 13-Dec-16 14:21:17

flowers You are reacting normally to an abnormal situation. I second suggestions of contacting a specialist service to see what they can provide.

Coldilox Tue 13-Dec-16 14:21:29

If you want to PM me your area I can find contact details for you (I work in the field)

myoriginal3 Tue 13-Dec-16 14:39:25

Coldilox I will pm after posting. Thank you.
They have taken me OFF my usual antidepressants so I now have nothing. I'm awake since 12am.
I am drinking pretty much constantly.
I'm vomiting blood due to the drinking, have constant diarrhoea and complete and utter paranoia about leaving the house.
They are trying to stabilize my liver function tests before prescribing meds that worked for me before. I knew it as valdoxan but they call it something beginning with a.
Likewise they're trying to get me to engage with lifeline, an alcohol service. Except I can't leave the fucking house to get there
I can't see any solution.

myoriginal3 Tue 13-Dec-16 14:45:25

Thank you all for the suggestions of online counselling. I will ask about it.

Thisjustinno Tue 13-Dec-16 14:45:32

Who's bringing you the drink?

myoriginal3 Tue 13-Dec-16 14:49:19

Usually my partner. But if I run out I can make it to the corner shop. I've been asked twice though whether I was a prostitute whilst on such voyages hence the absolute insomnia. Afraid to leave and unable to sleep.

Coldilox Tue 13-Dec-16 14:50:14

Have PM'd you back x

Thisjustinno Tue 13-Dec-16 14:50:47

Are they not offering a community alcohol detox or are they not willing to risk it?

myoriginal3 Tue 13-Dec-16 15:00:17

I can't leave house mainly plus I'm a suicide risk, so no, I'm not sure what they are willing to offer. Mostly I just shout at them all. I'm not usually that sort.

UnbornMortificado Tue 13-Dec-16 15:05:24

Have you considered an impatient programme?

I know it's not a popular option but I fully admit it saved my life last year.

I'm sorry for what happened and what your going through flowers

strawberryblondebint Tue 13-Dec-16 15:07:19

Op I was where you are in terms of alcohol. I thought I should get more help but what I couldn't get my head around was that until I had stopped drinking there was nothing that could help me. I was having panic attacks etc however could usually get over them if it was the choice between no booze or leaving the house. Medication is useless with alcohol in your system. And it's not a quick fix. You need some real help to get sober. Can you get admitted somewhere for a detox. I had several home ones but pointless as I still wanted to drink. And did the minute I could.
I'm concerned that your partner is providing you with alcohol. Is there anyway you could engage with AA. They will send someone to visit as long as you are not drunk.
I couldn't get my head around the fact I had to be sober to get help with my drinking. But it's not stopping that's hard. Although I wouldn't want to go through that again. It's the staying stopped. Then you can engage with counselling etc.
Please please try and not drink for a few days. It will be horrific but it might just be enough to get some hope back into your life. Pm me if you want xx

myoriginal3 Tue 13-Dec-16 15:22:52

Strawberry. I'm a long suffering aa member.
I desperately need detox but they won't allow me to do it from home and keep telling me not to stop drinking suddenly!
I'm not sure what to do really. I'm really angry with everyone because I was raped. Bizarre. But I will find some tenuous link to blame all and sundry.
I'm so blooming tired from lack of sleep.

yellowfrog Tue 13-Dec-16 16:07:01

Of course you're angry - you have every right to be! Crying, anger, rage etc are all perfectly normal responses to the horrific thing that has happened to you.

Can you break what you need to do down into tiny little steps. So for example, if they say you mustn't stop drinking suddenly, you could ask them what amount per day you can cut down to right now. If you are worried about shouting at them, get your partner to ask them for you, or put the question on a bit of paper to hand to them (with an explanation of that being so you can avoid getting angry at them). once you get that info, try to cut down to that amount of alcohol only. Don't try to do more until you get the first few steps under your belt. In the mean time, I heartily suggest taking out your anger on something inanimate and unable to hurt you - any pillows in the house that you can punch, kick and rip to shreds?

I know mumsnet's not big on hugs, but internetty hugs for you for the awful thing you've been through

strawberryblondebint Tue 13-Dec-16 16:47:43

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest you cut down. Like minimal amounts. Have you ever had a fit before? I have stopped completely with no medical help a good few times. One time was horrendous and I still remember how bad it was. The last time was bearable.
I used to think that a detox would solve everything but as you know it can only stop the physical effects.
However you can't start to get better till you put the drink down.
Have you AA friends that might visit. Can your partner support you.

dangermouseisace Tue 13-Dec-16 17:10:38

Sorry you're having such a bad time OP. It sounds like there isn't much medically they can do until you're liver is a bit more sorted. This is a temporary situation you are in now- hopefully you can get on the meds that worked for you before soon. The in between period will make you feel the absolute worst. Hang onto the fact it can only get better (I had to switch meds the end of last year I was a wreck- basically continuous panic attacks being on v little/nothing is horrific). Can you talk to the home treatment team? My local one you can call 24 hrs a day- I didn't think talking to them would help but it did, and sometimes in the strangest ways e.g. Talking basically absolute bollocks for 30 minutes and feeling a bit calmer for a short time. It's not a long term solution, but it's about getting through each day...or hour flowers

myoriginal3 Tue 13-Dec-16 17:15:29

I'm starting to think cold turkey is the only way. I need to get off this bloody drink.
I'm not sleeping at all so being awake dts should be doable.
It's when I try to sleep that they hit me and put the fear of God in me.
I just want to get off this bloody drink

Thisjustinno Tue 13-Dec-16 17:39:39

If you're physically alcohol dependant, going cold turkey could be really dangerous - you have been given the right advice to not stop suddenly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: