Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think a second referendum is inevitable ?

(900 Posts)
VoyageOfDad Mon 12-Dec-16 21:08:49

Seems to be a lot of discussion in the press about falling living standards, rising food costs, and the government seems to be hoping for 'interim' deals and soft Brexit which the EU doesn't seem to have a great deal of sympathy for ( cheers Nigel ) .

A recent press report stated that those polled in pro Brexit areas wouldn't be happy about living standards dropping and prices rising despite voting leave.

It seems fairly obvious that if the Brexit bus said 'leave the EU and watch food prices rise by 10% or more' the result would have been somewhat different.

So if the government conclude Brexit is going to majorly damage UK plc surely there'll be an 'are you sure?' referendum ?

Or doesn't amy of that matter to core Brexit beliefes ?

PurpleDaisies Mon 12-Dec-16 21:11:03

I was passionately remain, but we lost. There won't be a second referendum. Hopefully the government can make this the least bad exit we can have but I don't pretend in any way that this will be good for the country.

MinesAGin Mon 12-Dec-16 21:12:11

A recent press report stated that those polled in pro Brexit areas wouldn't be happy about living standards dropping and prices rising despite voting leave.

Honestly, what the hell did they expect?!

SpeckledyBanana Mon 12-Dec-16 21:15:19

I hope so, OP.

VoyageOfDad Mon 12-Dec-16 21:16:14

Honestly, what the hell did they expect?!

Well that's what I mean. I don't think a sizable portion of leave voters actually thought it through because it was all fluff and fairytails about more money.

Now that the actual reality is looming that their / our lives will suffer in very real negative terms, it will force a second vote.

harderandharder2breathe Mon 12-Dec-16 21:17:39

Sadly I doubt it

Actually, the idiots would probably still fall for the bullshit spouted by politicians and the daily fail and vote for brexit all over again

Twooter Mon 12-Dec-16 21:18:39

Alternatively, people may just have voted leave Despite food price increases because they feel that in the long term it would be the best decision.

PurpleDaisies Mon 12-Dec-16 21:19:09

Well that's what I mean. I don't think a sizable portion of leave voters actually thought it through because it was all fluff and fairytails about more money.

Ah yes, the vote leavers were all too thick/racist to realise what they were voting for argument.

I didn't vote leave but it's wishful thinking to think the outcome of the referendum isn't what it is.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Mon 12-Dec-16 21:21:23

The only people in my family who voted for Brexit have definitely changed their minds.

MinesAGin Mon 12-Dec-16 21:21:58

There should have been bullet point lists saying that pensions would be reduced, benefits would be reduced, house prices would go down, unemployment would go up, food prices would go up, lots of negative equity, massive lack of importance in the world etc etc etc.

It was clear that very simple and straightforward language should have been used, just as it was by UKIP and the others who wanted to leave.

facepalming Mon 12-Dec-16 21:24:32

I'm a remainer but I don't agree with a second referendum to ask the same question.

I do think we have to accept the result but those with concerns should be communicating with their MP's to make sure they are represented.

I do agree that some leave voters may switch to remain If the referendum was re-run but likewise as the sky hasn't fallen in (yet..) we would likely see some go the other way too

VoyageOfDad Mon 12-Dec-16 21:24:36

Alternatively, people may just have voted leave Despite food price increases because they feel that in the long term it would be the best decision

Yes I can see that point of view. But how long might it take ? How long a period of dropping living standards would make it worth while ?

If the bankig industry ( for instance ) decided that they're going to make more money in the EU rather than from an isolated UK it's going to be game over....... i.e. is there a point of no return where we'll end up as a basket case with no hope of redemtion.....

specialsubject Mon 12-Dec-16 21:24:56

There is no chance of rational discussion about this here - mn rules are that the EU is wonderful and had we voted remain it would be all puppies and kittens.

Sensible posts such as that of twooter suggesting that there may be reasons to chance leave just get drowned in the shrieks.

Preserve us from those who know they are right.

VoyageOfDad Mon 12-Dec-16 21:25:56

h yes, the vote leavers were all too thick/racist to realise what they were voting for argument.

No that's not what I'm saying at all. Why on earth did you bring racism into it ?!

ReallyTired Mon 12-Dec-16 21:26:26

I voted leave because I think it's the best for the uk long term. I feel the Brexit stragery should be discussed by MPs. A vote to leave the EU is not a mandate for a hard Brexit. MPs need to debate the best Brexit option. Just because the remainers lost, it doesn't mean they don't have the right to be represented in parliament and their views to be considered.

Personally I would prefer a Norway style Brexit. I voted leave because I feel the uk and the rest of Europe want a different future. Many EU countries are moving towards ever closer union. The uk is on the sidelines of Europe as we are not part of the euro or free travel area. Many eu countries want even closer union. It's a situation like when one person in a marriage wants children and the other one doesn't.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Mon 12-Dec-16 21:26:33

All fingers and toes duly crossed, OP.

PurpleDaisies Mon 12-Dec-16 21:28:05

Because that's what people keep saying about the vote leavers. Either they didn't want the "forriners" coming over and stealing our jobs or they were just too stupid to make a rational decision.

I don't agree with how people voted but continually insulting their intelligence isn't helpful in the slightest.

VoyageOfDad Mon 12-Dec-16 21:28:15

Sensible posts such as that of twooter suggesting that there may be reasons to chance leave just get drowned in the shrieks.

As I said I can see that point of view. But I'd be interested in just what it is that makes the reality of rising food prices and lower living standards worth it ?

VoyageOfDad Mon 12-Dec-16 21:29:53

I don't agree with how people voted but continually insulting their intelligence isn't helpful in the slightest

So far nobody is. I'm certainly not. It's a question of mis-information not lack of intelligence.

Motheroffourdragons Mon 12-Dec-16 21:31:23

To be honest as a remainer, while I was not happy with the vote, if someone had come up with something resembling a proper plan with sensible ideas that might make this work, then I'd say fair enough I accept the result.

But here we are 6 months later, and nobody knows anything at all.

I feel more depressed about it today than I did on the 24th June.

HardcoreLadyType Mon 12-Dec-16 21:32:15

A second referendum wouldn't ask the same question. It would ask, "do you want what we have, or this specific other thing".

The referendum we had was, "do you want what we have, or something different".

I was amazed that so many people voted for something so nebulous.

TheSconeOfStone Mon 12-Dec-16 21:35:11

A friend of mine who voted leave reckons short time drop in living standards and financial uncertainty are a price worth paying for Brexit. She reckons it will be well worth. She's a graduate and a qualified accountant and not in the least bit racist. I don't agree with her but I respect her reasons. She wouldn't change her mind given the chance.

VoyageOfDad Mon 12-Dec-16 21:36:53

But here we are 6 months later, and nobody knows anything at all

That's sort of what prompted this thread. Not so much as the lack of a plan, but that now we actually have to form one and confront and take stock of the reality, and face the consequences , it looks pretty dire.

Why would anyone vote for lower living standards ? What's the upside ?

VoyageOfDad Mon 12-Dec-16 21:37:33

Can we leave racism out of this thread please.

BravoPanda Mon 12-Dec-16 21:40:14

It won't happen. And for those blathering on about 'not knowing the plan', are you all that stupid? Honestly. We're about to start an epic negotiation and you think we should show our hand straight away... the mind fucking boggles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now