Talk

Advanced search

to not go to my husband's work Christmas party?

(20 Posts)
AteRiri Mon 12-Dec-16 20:01:08

I'm working my butt off this week and it's on Saturday. I would love to spend the day lazing around, lying in bed, watching Netflix.

AIBU?

whyohwhy000 Mon 12-Dec-16 20:02:21

YANBU - surely as it's his work party then you are under no obligation to go.

Dilligaf81 Mon 12-Dec-16 20:02:55

Nope its a busy time of year and if thats what you want to do just do it. Will he be
Upset ?

Cherrysoup Mon 12-Dec-16 20:03:47

No, yabu. No way would I go! I went in the early days and was bored shitless. They all talk about work and I was ready to go within half an hour. He enjoys himself much more without me and has into town for the works night out. I waved him off with a merry wave.

Crumbs1 Mon 12-Dec-16 20:06:09

Depends on do. If it's lads drinking and rowdy drinks then not particularly. If it's a sit down mean or formal event with partners then possibly. I know "it's up to you" but marriages are about give and take not just pleasing ourselves at all times. You might enjoy it.

Sparlklesilverglitter Mon 12-Dec-16 20:07:24

Why would you be unreasonable to not go?

I have very rarely gone to DH, my way of thinking is the party is for employees and I don't work there.
DH has never been to mine as it's employees only no dp/DH

EatTheCake Mon 12-Dec-16 20:09:48

Not unreasonable, why would it be

Work Christmas parties should be for the staff only IMO, nobody wants to meet X from accounts partner.

HairyScaryMonster Mon 12-Dec-16 20:10:28

If it's posh do and you've committed to going I think you should suck it up, if not, bow out.

AteRiri Mon 12-Dec-16 20:11:59

It's a casual get together in a theme park. Families are invited. They have a different work-only one.

I went twice previously and they were ok.

Biscuitsneeded Mon 12-Dec-16 20:12:12

Unless it's a meal that is all paid for already and you would be wasting their money, then no, I think last-minute 'childcare emergency' is probably a good idea! I loathe them.

AteRiri Tue 13-Dec-16 18:30:24

It's very casual. They asked for a headcount, but it's not a formal sit-down meal.

MeganChips Tue 13-Dec-16 18:38:05

I have to go to DHs on Friday and I don't want to go either. It's very much a partners too thing but despite being asked to countless times, he abandons me to talk to his colleagues.

That or drags me around to make small talk with people I don't know without introducing me to anyone. I end up dancing all night and getting pissed courtesy of the free bar.

I could not go but he'd be really disappointed if I didnt. Next year I might suggest I don't but do it early!

AteRiri Wed 14-Dec-16 11:00:28

*MeganChips

I could not go but he'd be really disappointed if I didnt.*

My husband really wants me to come too. sad

BeautyGoesToBenidorm Wed 14-Dec-16 11:08:27

I was bored shitless at DH's work do. He works with quite a lot of gym bores who talk about nothing but workouts and protein supplements, whilst finishing other peoples' desserts. Plus they discuss work waaaaaay too much for a party.

YANBU!

TheNaze73 Wed 14-Dec-16 11:11:47

YANBU.

Your planned evening sounds fab. Christmas parties with partners are quite tedious

reindeerbitesback Wed 14-Dec-16 11:59:00

You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming to any works xmas party. It's one of the main reasons I'm thankful that I work for myself.

That being said, if you've been before and didn't hate it AND your OH wants you to go... I'd consider it. You could always fake a headache and head home early...

AteRiri Wed 14-Dec-16 19:38:08

Yeah, it's just that I'm working my butt off this week until Friday and a Saturday spent lazing around really sounds so great.

Goingtobeawesome Wed 14-Dec-16 19:45:21

So dh wants you there, Megan, but ignores you all night? hmm.

MeganChips Thu 15-Dec-16 11:03:07

Yes basically although he doesn't think he does.

He is under strict instructions this year on the understanding that if he does it again, next year I won't go.

AteRiri Sat 17-Dec-16 10:34:56

I didn't go. I had a fabulous time lying in bed, bingeing Netflix!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now