Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about powerflushing radiators please :)

(11 Posts)
AmericanPastoral Mon 12-Dec-16 17:30:31

We've been told we need to have a powerflush of our radiators. We've used a young guy just to connect a gas cooker and he says he offers a thorough service using top of the range equipment from leading manufacturer - Kamco, who have trained him inhouse as part of the purchase package of their equipment.Has anyone heard of Kamco? I'm trying to find out how much experience he has of doing a power flush for clients or if his experience is limited to inhouse training. If it is limited to the latter do you think that matters? Thanks very much.

myfavouritecolourispurple Mon 12-Dec-16 18:00:03

I was told in 2003 that my central heating system needed a powerflush.

It still needs one.

It still works.

AmericanPastoral Mon 12-Dec-16 18:39:21

Thanks smile Apparently our system is overheating.

Ambivalence Mon 12-Dec-16 19:03:53

Look on the dot property on here. It's a big con often..

Ambivalence Mon 12-Dec-16 19:04:09

Diy board here

RedHelenB Mon 12-Dec-16 19:06:23

Made all the difference to my heating and guaranteed for life.

WhoKnowsWhereTheT1meG0es Mon 12-Dec-16 19:08:31

We had ours done recently when the boiler was replaced. The radiators heat up far faster now and throw out noticeably more heat so we need the heating on less.

Oldraver Mon 12-Dec-16 19:08:50

It costs (or used to) an absolute fortune.

If you have any radiators that are full of sludge, you can usually tell as they are cold at the bottom...you can take each radiator off and flush it out with a hosepipe.

OH did all ours the other summer..took a while but was worth it. He then put a cleaner or some such and ran it through then cleaned them out again.

When we had a new boiler we had a magnet thing that was emptied after a week (dont know the exact technical term) and the guy said our system was very clean

c3pu Mon 12-Dec-16 19:09:06

Probably doesn't need one 😂

How old is the CH system, and has it had inhibitor in it? Are you having any problems?

MatildaTheCat Mon 12-Dec-16 19:57:44

If have a small flat and BG said we need one and quoted £785. Independent boiler man ( I know him well) quoted 180. When he came he refused to do it because it's unnecessary and the boiler needs a new heat exchanger. I'm now locked in battle with BG because we have a service contract.

I had a thread here recently and it seems to be a common problem but I don't know how to force them into fixing the problem rather than forcing me to have a PF we don't need.

Not much help....

AmericanPastoral Sun 18-Dec-16 00:13:50

Thanks for your replies everyone. It's in my mum's old house which we've just done up to hopefully rent out to help pay for care home fees so I'm not sure what problems there are/have been. Will have to investigate further.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now