Talk

Advanced search

to be mystified at people obsessed by prosecco?

(336 Posts)
CockacidalManiac Sun 11-Dec-16 13:59:33

Fully expecting to get a kicking for this.
On Facebook, in shops. People who seem to have their entire sense of humour based around wine.
Every post on Facebook is some crappy meme about wine o' clock, prosecco or a 'cheeky' glass of wine.

gunting Sun 11-Dec-16 14:00:39

Yeah it's a bit tragic. I like prosecco but I don't get the obsession

CockacidalManiac Sun 11-Dec-16 14:01:12

Plus all this kind of shit

Lelliot Sun 11-Dec-16 14:02:39

YANBU with the prosecco. Purely because I can't stand the stuff. I'm partial to a cheeky glass bottle of rosé wine though so not quite sure what the problem is. Unless it's people posting on Facebook about it? I don't do that. Too busy drinking to post about it..

Lilaclily Sun 11-Dec-16 14:02:58

It tastes the same as cava to me !

My mate was really peed off the other week when we sat in a well known Italian chain restaurant and the waitress took one look at us and Said two glasses of prosecco?
She replied 'no I dont like it thanks not all 40 somethings who are female do' fshockfgrin
I was mortified but agreed

FrancisCrawford Sun 11-Dec-16 14:03:45

Don't get the fuss about prosecco at all.

It's nothing special.

Itsmytemporaryname Sun 11-Dec-16 14:04:34

Tote bag with "oh I appear to have bought prosecco instead of bread again!"
Top of my Christmas list.

FrancisCrawford Sun 11-Dec-16 14:04:39

Oh, I much prefer Cava, Lilac.

Prosecco just seems a bit nothingy

Gingerbreath Sun 11-Dec-16 14:06:19

Is it wine? ? It all tastes like vinegar to meblush

CockacidalManiac Sun 11-Dec-16 14:06:44

It's not just prosecco. It's when someone's whole sense of humour revolves around the fact that they occasionally drink wine.
Or that's it's somehow daring in some way.

SnatchedPencil Sun 11-Dec-16 14:07:24

Erm, different people like different drinks? Prosecco is popular amongst 30-something and 40-something women at the moment, it's "classy" like champagne but cheaper. Ten years ago it was Bacardi Breezers, ten years before that it was lager, before that there was "mild", Babycham or sherry. It's just that Prosecco is fashionable at the moment. In another decade women of early-middle age will have moved onto something else.

NicknameUsed Sun 11-Dec-16 14:07:30

I like Prosecco, but I agree with you about all the Facebook posts about all the wine worship. It is a bit OTT.

Itsmytemporaryname Sun 11-Dec-16 14:07:30

There are 978 prosecco related gifts on notonthehighstreet.com

ellalouise123 Sun 11-Dec-16 14:07:58

I agree with the person who said it's basically just cava. I like prosecco but don't understand how some people have managed to make liking it their ENTIRE personality, posting things on Facebook etc It's like they're trying to seem 'fancy'?! I don't know. It comes across naff.

DiegeticMuch Sun 11-Dec-16 14:08:05

I like it but I find the "humorous" memes a bit tedious.

When someone first said/wrote "wine o'clock" or "it's 7pm somewhere in the world" or "a cheeky glass of fizz" it was probably genuinely funny. Now...not at all.

Itsmytemporaryname Sun 11-Dec-16 14:08:32

Prosecco memes are the new 'keep calm and..'

SharkBastard Sun 11-Dec-16 14:09:51

I'm more a stella kind of Lady. Prosecco tastes like shit! However, none of my friends drink it but I see all the tat for sale about it

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Sun 11-Dec-16 14:11:19

It's just the latest thing to be wankified. Like hygge. You can't just have a drink/sit down/ shop anymore. You need to look interesting, source stuff etc. fhmm

TiggyD Sun 11-Dec-16 14:13:04

The 20 something women I work with seem very fond of the stuff.

NicknameUsed Sun 11-Dec-16 14:13:31

I don't even know what hygge is. Off to google.

CockacidalManiac Sun 11-Dec-16 14:13:39

Prosecco memes are the new 'keep calm and..'

I suppose I should be grateful about that.
Keep Calm stuff was dreadful.

purplepebbles Sun 11-Dec-16 14:13:45

I prefer cava - it's got a bit more 'bite'. Plus, the obsession with Prosecco has made cava seem cheaper. Happy with that!

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Sun 11-Dec-16 14:15:40

nickname Hygge is actually quite cool but its been taken over by eejits as if they invented itgrin

CockacidalManiac Sun 11-Dec-16 14:15:41

Don't get me wrong; I'm not having a go at Prosecco itself (although I prefer Cava too).
It's just that some people have based their entire personality on the fact that they like a glass of wine.

Harvey246 Sun 11-Dec-16 14:16:54

Yes! Thought it was just me who found the whole thing extremely tedious!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now